collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton victory investigated  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Hamilton victory investigated
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~155212.htm

Lewis Hamilton's win in the Japanese Grand Prixmight have been straight-forward on the road, but was apparently less so as stewards deliberated long into the Fuji night.

According to Spain's Marca newspaper, the Briton's tactics behind the safety car were called into question, particularly after its second appearance, when Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webbercollided.

The young German pointed to Hamilton's aggressive accelerating and braking - used to warm tyres and brakes - as a contributory factor to the incident, suggesting that he had been distracted by the sight of Hamilton slowing heavily and not noticing his own proximity to the back of Webber's car. The incident took the two Red Bull-backed cars out of potential podium finishes.
"With the final safety car, I was behind Lewis and Mark and, exiting Turn 13, I looked to the right and saw Lewis going really slowly," he said, "I don't know why, but I thought he had a problem, [when] probably he was heating his brakes. Then, by the time I looked forward again, I was already in the back of Mark's car as I think he had also reacted to Lewis."

Hamilton had employed similar tactics at the 'start' of the race on lap 19, when trying to get the jump on McLarenteam-mate and title rival Fernando Alonso. On one occasion, the Briton backed off so much that Alonso had to check up suddenly to avoid passing him, but the stewards decided not to take any action against the rookie, who now heads into the penultimate round of the season with a twelve-point lead over his team-mate.

I thought his behavious and that of a lot of other drivers behind the safety car was deplorable.

Offline raindancer

Re: Hamilton victory investigated
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »
Looks like Hammy is being favored here ! Don't you ? ;)
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »
And of course, a Spanish newspaper would never have any sour grapes about Alonso crashing out would they.  :o  ::)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
Even Brundle thought Hamilton did too much before the safety car pulled in.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:44:55 PM »
Even Brundle thought Hamilton did too much before the safety car pulled in.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - no Punch without Judy

no WDC without questionable tactics perhaps or do we have another ruthless "Schumacher" prepared to do whatever is necessary to win? >:D

[As I posted elsewhere, I still feel the conditions were too wet for a fair contest and the race should have been delayed until the weather was better, a lot better; until the next day if needed.]
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
I don't believe it (oh no I'm turning into Victor Meldrew). I have raced karts, cars and bikes. I have done dozens of rolling starts. It's quite easy really, you drop back from the leader and the guy behind you drops back from you. You only close up just before the start. It is your responsibility to make space for yourself. If the guy behind you runs into you it is his fault, nobody elses!!!!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:22:21 PM »
It reminds me of what happened at Monaco in 2004. Schumi was leading behind the safety car. His aggressive accelerating and braking caused Montoya to rear-end him in the tunnel. Nobody, (except JPM) claimed that it was Schumi's fault.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »
I don't believe it (oh no I'm turning into Victor Meldrew). I have raced karts, cars and bikes. I have done dozens of rolling starts. It's quite easy really, you drop back from the leader and the guy behind you drops back from you. You only close up just before the start. It is your responsibility to make space for yourself. If the guy behind you runs into you it is his fault, nobody elses!!!!

I'm with Monty - even if you're only doing the parade lap, your eyes should not be taken off the car in front of you, especially in the conditions at the time, so I have no idea how he allowed himself to be distracted by a car already around the corner when there was still one ahead of him going into it.  Vettel blew it, simple.  So did Montoya, although I have more sympathy for Webber than I did for Schumi.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 09:56:17 PM »
God, even more MS haters  :'(
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 10:24:40 PM »

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=David_Coulthard

The other problem you get in these conditions is the engines misfiring. To save as much fuel as you can behind the safety car you run them on a very lean setting and when the water gets in it gives you this terrible misfire.

The only way to clear it is to rev the engine hard through the gears – but with the safety car controlling the pace you can’t do that.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:14:29 AM »
God, even more MS haters  :'(

nah Ian, recognising and discussing any driver's "dark side" or questioning dubious tactics does not necessarily make you a "hater" of them.

Simply observant perhaps  :D
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
Ian, I was a huge promoter of Schumi for the longest time, but in the last couple of years I became fed up with his and Ferrari's attitude of nothing being fair unless they did it.

But my point in my post was that Schumi was the one behind the pace car in Monaco, brake checking (oops, warming), while Mark was an innocent bystander only braking because Lewis did.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 03:34:43 PM »
As for Sebastian, he did a great job all weekend up until that split-second of getting it wrong.

It just emphasises that while these cars may not be the scary beasts they were in the fat-tyred turbocharged days, they are still the fastest things in the world around a track and if you drop your concentration for one second they will bite you.

I agree with DC on this point. Remember, Vettel is a rookie with less then half a season's under his belt. I felt sorry for Webber. It seems that bad luck will find him one way or another.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline nightfly56

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~155212.htm

Lewis Hamilton's win in the Japanese Grand Prixmight have been straight-forward on the road, but was apparently less so as stewards deliberated long into the Fuji night.

According to Spain's Marca newspaper, the Briton's tactics behind the safety car were called into question, particularly after its second appearance, when Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webbercollided.

The young German pointed to Hamilton's aggressive accelerating and braking - used to warm tyres and brakes - as a contributory factor to the incident, suggesting that he had been distracted by the sight of Hamilton slowing heavily and not noticing his own proximity to the back of Webber's car. The incident took the two Red Bull-backed cars out of potential podium finishes.
"With the final safety car, I was behind Lewis and Mark and, exiting Turn 13, I looked to the right and saw Lewis going really slowly," he said, "I don't know why, but I thought he had a problem, [when] probably he was heating his brakes. Then, by the time I looked forward again, I was already in the back of Mark's car as I think he had also reacted to Lewis."

Hamilton had employed similar tactics at the 'start' of the race on lap 19, when trying to get the jump on McLarenteam-mate and title rival Fernando Alonso. On one occasion, the Briton backed off so much that Alonso had to check up suddenly to avoid passing him, but the stewards decided not to take any action against the rookie, who now heads into the penultimate round of the season with a twelve-point lead over his team-mate.

I thought his behavious and that of a lot of other drivers behind the safety car was deplorable.

Absolute Poppycock!! Vettels should have been aware of everything around him not just Lewis's position on the track, he just wanted someone to carry the can for his lack of concentration.  Granted up until then he had done a very good job, but at the end of the day it was he that ran into the back of Webber, and I see no evidence of Webber blaming anyone else for the incident.

Mick

schizophrenic!! if you want to argue, argue with "the other"
schizophrenia means you are never alone

Mick

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 07:25:44 AM »
Hi Mick,

I'm with ya.  Vettel had no reason to 'look right' - he should have been paying attention to Mark's car, and after he got past him, THEN he should start watching Lewis' car.

I'm sure this is Mick from Toronto...right?  Canoe forum?

ScottyD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle