collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 117
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Button's motivation questioned  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Scott

Button's motivation questioned
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
How can a guy in his situation be happy with it?  Is he nuts?  His prime years are being wasted driving a backmarker, and this guy is happy?  If it's true, then he's just in it for the paycheque.

From F1 Live:

Jenson Button's stalled F1 career is leading to questions about his motivation.

John Surtees, also a Briton who raced in Formula One for Honda in the '60s, told a Swiss publication this week that 28-year-old Button is a 'big question mark' in his mind.

After more than 100 attempts, Button won his first Grand Prix in 2006, but in the past two years his machinery has not been up to speed.

1964 world champion Surtees said in interview with Motorsport Aktuell: "He seems to be having problems with his motivation."

Also this week, David Coulthard - one of Button's on-track rivals who is also a close friend - joked that the wavering form of F1's other Britons is giving him reason to contemplate victory at Silverstone this weekend.

"Lewis is looking a bit shaky right now with all these penalties and pitlane crashes. 

Jenson just seems to be cruising. I'm going to have to step up," he is quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph.

Button denies he is struggling with motivation and is looking forward to 2009, when Honda could be more competitive.

"I'm in a happy place," he told the BBC. "Hopefully the fans aren't too frustrated because I feel pretty happy with the situation."

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: Button's motivation questioned
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »
Perhaps but now that ross BRAWN is getting things better what else can JB do and where else can he go?

But then again as you suggest SD if jenson had more fire in his belly he would be talking to other teams seeing if he could improve his situation.

HONDA's cars have been dismal to say the least since last season. When are they going to give stephen FRY the boot?

Interesting liveries though   :tease:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Mitch14

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:38 PM »
buttons motivation is still high i reckon but i thinks it should be higher

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
I just wish that Driving Miss Daisy (Button) would get the hell out of the sport.... he just plain isn't good enough... and he has the personality of a brown paper bag..... let's get someone new into the sport and give them a chance....

Rom

TheStig

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:43:05 PM »
He should never have left Williams and Sir,Frank

TheStig

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »
A horse and cart cannot keep up with a car, stick Button in a competitive car and I think he'd do the business, I think he is unfairly slated off, that Honda is a crock of $%*&, handling and powerwise it's a gomer, wev'e not been able to see what Jensen is really capable of. As for personality, well, Kimi takes the biscuit for the lack of that.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

TheStig

I don't think he had a choice the first time, but he should have chosen Frank's contract over Honda's the second time.

Mitch14

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:53:32 AM »
button leaving was defiantly a big mistake

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 09:48:27 AM »

TheStig

I don't think he had a choice the first time, but he should have chosen Frank's contract over Honda's the second time.

Perhaps but 'ole weasel face' Frank is not the easiest to drive for and the halcyon glory days of the WILLIAMS outfit are very much past.

One does wonder how long they will last now and please tell me why does Sir Frank always look like he has just swallowed two sour lemons and a third one has been inserted where the sun don't shine?

Seriously, at least JB is being loyal and who knows HONDA may yet overcome the Eastern vs Western culture/philosophy conflict intrinsic with their strange organisational hierachies.

I doubt it however, as a team with two such masters can never prosper.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:30:03 PM »
His choice never had much to do with what he thought about Frank.  In fact Button has always voiced strong support of Frank Williams and never mentioned any problems with dealing with Frank or Patrick (although he probably got an earful from Patrick when he spun out of one of his first races on the parade lap).  His problem was that he went and signed two contracts at once - and apparently Honda had the upper hand...or perhaps more correctly, the bigger wallet (don't you remember what Frank got out tearing up his contract with Jensen?  $$$, and plenty of them).  Jensen had far more trouble with his other Team Principals than with Frank - Flavio and David Richards.  You can't say much about Nick Fry, since he is just a smiley guy who does whatever his 'star driver' wants.

Franks facial appearance likely has more to do with his medical condition than any - intended or not - expression you think you see.  He's lucky he's alive. 

Don't count him out at all.  He's one of the sharpest and clearest thinkers in F1 and is likely the only team principal who can go toe to toe with Bernie and/or Max about any aspect of F1.  F1 is cyclical and he will rebound, I'm sure.  He's as clever as they come.

Honda is in bad shape, much worse than Ferrari when Brawn moved there (with Byrne, who he doesn't have this time).  My guess is it will be more than a couple of years before Honda can bounce back, even if Japan give Brawn Carte Blanche.  He has a big mountain to climb.  Jensen should have jumped back into Williams when he had the chance...I doubt Frank would have him now.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »

Honda is in bad shape, much worse than Ferrari when Brawn moved there (with Byrne, who he doesn't have this time).  My guess is it will be more than a couple of years before Honda can bounce back, even if Japan give Brawn Carte Blanche.  He has a big mountain to climb.  Jensen should have jumped back into Williams when he had the chance...I doubt Frank would have him now.

I agree with most of what you have said Scotty but with DC retireing and probably Rubens as well there is going to be a merry go round for drivers.

With Rosberg's stock so high and his youth one of the major funded teams is sure to look at him, possibly even Red Bull.

Add in the rumours of Ferd's Honda move, Nakajima's possible seat with Toy main team and a seat back at Williams may yet open up for an experieced pilot. Even Frank will try to avoid two inexperienced drivers no matter how cheap they are.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Mitch14

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »
If piquet dosen't live up to his standards and alonso leaves then there will be two seats for the 4th biggest team in f1. i bet you will find many drivers wanted to go there if the opputunity arises

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle