collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 516
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mystery numer 12 please  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Mystery numer 12 please
« on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »
Who, what, where, when

This one should be difficult since I didn't know the car ever existed until I saw the picture

Offline Dare

Re: Mystery numer 12 please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:19:53 PM »
This one should be difficult since I didn't know the car ever existed until I saw the picture

not the hint I was looking for :D

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
It's 4 wheel drive.  Is that the kind of hint you were looking for.

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:43:45 PM »
mcclaren M9A

derek bell

brands hatch
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 12:37:46 AM »
This was meant to be difficult  >:(

3 out of 4  :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
This was meant to be difficult  >:(

3 out of 4  :D

your hint was too good,there's not that
many 4 wd f1 cars

change the track to Silverstone

you ever heard of the Ferguson P99 Climax Steven

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:24:59 AM »
4 outof 4  :yahoo:

I have heard of the Ferguson and a few other 4 wheel drives but I didn't know McLaren had made one.  I didn't know Derek Bell hd driven for McLaren either.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 01:35:01 AM »
That why F1 history never gets old,you can
learn something new every day :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:37:59 AM »
I'd never heard of this one Steven

Ferguson P99
One of the first serious attempts to field a four wheel drive Formula 1 car was the Ferguson Research company’s P99. The car made its sole Grand Prix appearance in 1961 which proved poor timing.

The car had originally been designed to accommodate a 2.5 litre V8 Coventry Climax engine but a major in the rules limited Grand Prix cars to 1.5 litres from 1961.

The P99’s engine was downgraded accordingly but this served to exaggerate one of the shortcomings of four wheel drive cars - that more power is lost in the transmission system.

It had also been conceived at a time when front-engined cars were de rigeur - but by the time it raced the rear-engined revolution was in full swing.

Another problem was the extra weight of the additional component needed to supply power to both ends of the car. But Ferguson came up with some innovative solutions to that, using magnesium alloys for the different casings to keep the weight down. At 660kg (1,456lb) it was not much heavier than that years BRM and Cooper entries.

It was entered by Rob Walker’s team for that year’s British Grand Prix at Aintree with Jack Fairman, something of a journeyman, at the wheel. Although the race was wet - conditions in which a four wheel drive car would be expected to have an advantage - Fairman ran 13th.

He pitted with electrical problems at which point the car was taken over by Stirling Moss, whose Lotus 18 had been sidelined with brake trouble. The car was doomed to disqualification because Fairman had received a push-start in the pits but Moss was impressed by the car:

In those still damp conditions I found it went like a rocket! But it also felt most odd. It was nothing like any other car I had ever driven. It made absolutely unique driving demands, but I began to appreciate that, once I could learn how to use its potential, then it really would offer great advantages.

Moss’s confidence proved justified when he took the car to victory at the non-championship Oulton Park Gold Cup in September year. But any further involvement Moss might have with the project was ended with his crash at Goodwood the following year that terminated his racing career.

The Ferguson found its way into the 1963 Tasman series and the following year it won the British Hill Climb Championship in the hands of Peter Westbury, before being retired.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle