collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 296
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Space Shuttle Launch  (Read 8860 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Space Shuttle Launch
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

For those of us who grew up watching Apollo going to the moon space missions are still something not to be missed.  The space shuttle Atlantis will take off tomorrow (Thursday) to deliver the Columbus module to the International Space Station.  The launch will take place at 4:31pm EST (9:31pm GMT).  It can be viewed at the link above.  For best coverage select the 'other viewing options' menu on the right of the video and select 'Windows Media (best for full screen)'.

Remember the launch is at the time shown so you need to tune in before that for the build up.  I have watched quite a few launches of different vehicles on NASA TV and they are still as exciting as those grainy black and white pictures of the Apollo missions.

Offline Wizzo

Re: Space Shuttle Launch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »

Excellent suff Steven!   :good:

I've always wanted to view a shuttle launch 'live'. Has anyone else ever seen one?
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »
Nope, but I'm gonna watch this one too Wiz, nice one Steven.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »
I just left the east coast of Florida Monday morning. This is about the third time I missed one by a few days.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/

If you want to know where all the bits of metal that are whizzing about up there you will find something on this page to show you.

It will also tell you when you can see the International Space Station.  It is clearly visible and recognisable from the ground with the naked eye although it is only visible for a few minutes on some days just before the sun comes up or goes down.  The first time I saw it I had just left work and there was a very odd shaped star in the sky.  I could tel what it was even though I didn't know it was visible from the ground.

The nearer the equator you are the more often you will see it and the longer you will see it for.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/12/06/space.shuttle.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

The launch of the shuttle has been postponed for at least one day.  Unbelievable as it may seem the reason for the postponement is a faulty fuel gauge.  Even more unbelievably this is not the first time a shuttle has been delayed due to this fault.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:35:14 PM »
New lauch time is Friday 4:09pm Eastern - 9:09pm GMT

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »
It has been postponed again.  New time is Saturday 3:45pm Eastern - 8:45pm GMT.  I guess fixing a shuttle fuel gauge is a bit more complicated than a Ford Focus.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:14 AM »
The launch has been postponed.  Again.

It is now Sunday 3:21pm eastern - 8:21pm GMT.  Launch coverage on NASA TV starts 10:00am eastern 3pm GMT.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 04:11:09 AM »
Remember, it is about 25 years old. And high mileage, too! ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 05:25:49 PM »
They have run into problems with engine cut off sensors.

The launch will now be on 2nd January.  I will post times whne announced.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »
I am sure this will come as no surprise to anyone.  The January 2nd launch was delayed to Jan 10th.  The Jan 10th launch has now been postponed too.  No date or time has been set.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
The space shuttle will now definitely, almost certainly, probably, maybe(delete as appropriate) be launched on February 7th.  The have changed the faulty bits and apparently all is now well.  They need to launch it soon or they will hav to stack it with the next mission due to launch April 8th.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 06:07:14 PM »
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Latest NASA update.  The countdown is progressing and they hope to hit the 10 minute launch window tomorrow.  However there is only a 30% chance of the weather being good enough.  If they miss the window there is a 60% chance of acceptable weather on Friday and 70% on Saturday.  SO if my adding is correct there is a 160% chance of a launch by Saturday.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:05 PM »

Thanks for keeping us updated Steven  :good:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle