collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 277
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault make Alonso highest paid F1 driver  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Wizzo

Renault make Alonso highest paid F1 driver
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:16:30 AM »

Spanish newspapers hailed the return of "prodigal son" Fernando Alonso to Renault and suggested the two-time Formula One champion could get a "stratospheric" salary at the French team.

The sports daily AS said the 26-year-old would receive 42 million euros a year over his two-year contract at Renault, which would make him the highest paid driver in the sport's history.

Other Spanish newspapers gave lower estimates. El Mundo said it will be a "stratospheric" salary of 35 million euros, while La Vanguardia put the figure at 25 million euros.

Marca reported Alonso would get 30 million dollars (20 million euros), and El Pais said the "prodigal son" was looking at 16 million euros per year.

Spanish newspapers predicted a new world title under Renault team boss Flavio Briatore.

Marca called it a "return to the future," with "the aim of a new world title in 2009," if Renault's new R-28 car proves competitive.

The ABC newspaper said Alonso obtained a guarantee in his contract that he would be the number one driver over teammate Nelsinho Piquet, to avoid the tensions he experienced with Hamilton at McLaren.

Spanish media said Alonso would have the chance to get out of his contract after one year if things were going badly for him. 

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline romephius

Re: Renault make Alonso highest paid F1 driver
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:51:06 AM »
If true this would make Fernando the worlds highest paid cry baby, a talentless hack (when under pressure), it seems that Renault are prepared to pay quite highly for a proven trouble maker when he doesn't get his own way.  Having said that, I am willing to concede that (when not under pressure) the man CAN drive very well.  It should make for a very interesting year in 2008.  Lets see if he can reverse my opinion of his skills and talent.

As always I could be wrong and this is just my opinion.

Rom

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »
I honestly do not believe there is a huge gap in talent between most of the top F1 drivers. There are the rare talents that can drive anything fast and have the passion to win almost at any cost (Senna being the obvious example), there are those that have real talent but stand above the others by making the team really work for them (Schumacher) but the rest are great drivers but all need a good car, a good team and a little luck to win.
I put Alonso in this category. There is no way that he is worth more than Kovalinen, Rosberg, Kubica, etc. Renault must be crazy (unless he can bring Santander sponsorship with him?)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
They'll be scratching their heads when Piquet starts wiping the floor with him and he starts breaking doors down in their trailers. 

Considering the huge gap between the highest and lowest estimates, one has to wonder what the real story is.  Besides, is his retainer actually paid by one of the sponsors, or is it a Renault cheque he'll be cashing.

Whatever - good for him.  I've always said that everyone should try to get as much as they can for the work they do, however unrealistic it is.  I'm sorry McLaren didn't let him go in a huff and make Renault pay their FIA fine for them as his contract burning fee, but I guess Ron was once again doing the 'correct' thing.

Of course I will be rolling on the floor laughing whenever Alonzo wipes out the car or finishes while battling Super Aguri or Force India.

By the way, did you read what F1 Racing calls Force India F1 team?  Fifi...too funny.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 02:25:21 PM »
Fifi? But Force India is not a poodle...

Still, apart from suspecting that the same sponsors that made Piquet Jr have the other seat are paying both Renault drivers' salaries, I wouldn't dare hazard a guess at Alonso's salary arrangements.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »
The true value of a "big name" driver is that they attract interest; fan interest, media interest and, most importantly, sponsor interest. The more famous your driver, the more time your car is on the TV coverage. The more time your car is on TV, the more time your sponsor's name is on TV.

I wonder how long Piquet the Elder will put up with his lad being "Number 2?" Will we get a call for an FIA "Fairness Observer?"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »
Piquet the elder is the manager of Piguet the younger, so he knew going in that Jr. is going to be a tail gunner. 

I hope in the new year they will sort out the rules with regards to 'team orders' and 'driver status'.  Obviously there needs to be a clarification.

If it were up to me, I'd say let the teams do what they want to (they are the paymasters after all, and know what is best for the team as opposed to a driver with an ego the size of a blimp).  The drivers can choose their teams based on the individual philosophies of those teams and then have nothing to complain about.

If I were a team owner, I'd let them fight it out for the first 5 or 6 races and or until there was an obvious #1, and then go with him for the rest of the season, using the #2 for strategic moves and to help the constructors race along.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle