collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 340
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren Apologise and agree to pay Costs and come clean on Stepneygate  (Read 7388 times)

Offline raindancer

McLaren have come clean over the ongoing Stepneygate scandal and admitted that Ferrari technical data is "more widely disseminated within" the team than their investigations revealed.

In a press statement the embattled British constructor have apologised to the F1 fraternity as their internal investigation failed to uncover the scope of the spying problem.

The statement says: "As a result of the investigations carried out by the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile it has become clear that Ferrari information was more widely disseminated within McLaren than was previously communicated. McLaren greatly regrets that its own investigations did not identify this material and has written to the World Motor Sport Council to apologise for this."

The Woking outfit has contacted the sport's governing body over the matter. The team have also made the certain designs available to the FIA in the hope of being cleared in time for the start of the 2008 season.

The team will also stop development on three key components.

"McLaren has written a letter to the FIA which in the interests of transparency it is publishing with this press statement. That letter speaks for itself and the sentiments expressed in it are sincerely held by McLaren."

"To avoid even the possibility of Ferrari information influencing our performance during 2008, McLaren has offered a set of detailed undertakings to the FIA which will impose a moratorium on development in relation to three separate systems."

The Stepneygate scandal has caused untold harm to the sport as it has alienated many F1 fans. And the new revelations could go a long way to reconciling the FIA with the fanbase.

The statement continued: "McLaren wish to make a public apology to the FIA, Ferrari, the Formula 1 community and to Formula 1 fans throughout the world and offer their assurance that changes are now being made which will ensure that nothing comparable to what has taken place will ever happen again. McLaren have also agreed to pay the costs incurred by the FIA for their investigation."

"McLaren now wishes to put these matters behind it and to move forward focusing on the 2008 season."

Wonder what these development inhibitions mean to Hamilton's WC hopes ?????

Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Online Dare

Re: Mclaren Apologise and agree to pay Costs and come clean on Stepneygate
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »
mumble jumble as usual
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »
It's the only thing McLaren could do: cop a plea to something they didn't do just to get the FIA off their back. Max & Co. would just have kept picking at McLaren until they said "Uncle." I'm not buying a word of it.

This makes me more upset than anything that's happened up until now.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »
Given that Max backed them up against a wall this is the only tactic that may get their 2008 car cleared and give them a chance of keeping their business operating.  The whole thing is ludicrous. 

Personally I think Max unintentionally triggered this.  McLaren wants to be seen to be clean and so were unlikely to cop a plea.  Max has sued the Sunday Times so the truth will come out in that case allowing McLaren to take this action now and get their 2008 campaign back on track.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
Are you guys reading the same thing I am??  This sounds much bigger than just 'copping a plea' or 'mumbo jumbo'. 

They are throwing any chance they might have had to reverse the earlier decisions.

I dunno, this seems very bad to me.  Max won.  Freakin' scary.  Someone's got Ron by the hairs. 

Wow...gonna have to see how this plays out.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 01:16:02 AM »

Wonder what these development inhibitions mean to Hamilton's WC hopes ?????

Absolutely nothing, the Maclaren was streets ahead in 07 and they have only agreed to cease developement in certain areas for 08. The car for 07 was conceived and built before any Ferrari ideas were supposedly purloined, and was a world champ car in it's own right. Even if they have to field the old car I reckon he can still cream the rest.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline romephius

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:22:42 AM »
I just found this story on www.formula1.com and it included this paragraph, showing the 3 systems in question:

In light of the report’s findings, McLaren have offered to ‘impose a moratorium on development in relation to three separate systems’- quickshift, fast fill, and the use of CO2 as a tyre gas - in order to ensure that there is no possibility of Ferrari information inspiring the design of their new challenger.

lets see how it all plays out.... I hope all this crap is over with

Rom

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
They are throwing any chance they might have had to reverse the earlier decisions.

As long as Max is running the show, McLaren had two chances to get the decisions reversed: Slim and None.

And Slim left town.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:05:49 PM »
As I said in another post, all along Max has been doing everything possible to make Mc Laren eat humble pie.

Ron wants to get on with 2008 so this is his only route.

On paper Max won this one. In my eyes he's a total looser in everything he's done.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
McLaren never had a chance of getting the decisions reversed anyway. However, the FIA's pursuit of The Sunday Times may well lead to the EU forcing the FIA to change its ways, and maybe even compensate McLaren in the long run.

Reading the letter, McLaren does not actually admit to anything we didn't already know. It merely says that the conclusion could be drawn from the evidence that it might have Ferrari IP. At no point does it absolutely admit having IP any deeper within the organisation than already established. It admits its July investigations was inadequate, but then we could have assumed that from the time-scale even before the WMSC case in September.

However, this non-admission appears to have satisfied Ferrari and the FIA. McLaren's lawyers must be laughing in relief. It proves by implication that the FIA's case against McLaren, at least with regard to this element of the charges, was not strong enough to punish McLaren in February without significant embarrassment on the FIA's part.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 05:03:53 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
it seems to me this is a 'deal' arranged between Ron and Max to get both monkeys off their backs: Ron gets to race and Max gets damage control over the considerable and mounting backlash from the Renault decision.

The means may not be pretty but let's hope the outcome stays put and this ridiculous nonesense gets put to bed once and for all.

However, I do wonder at the possible reaction from Ferrari.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »
The one thing that is certain is that this is not over.  Ferrari still intend to sue McLaren and the FIA still have the lawsuit against the Sunday Times.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 07:03:53 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen !
If I am a Corporate which Mclaren is ! Apologise is the last thing I would do. It is a Disaster every which way way. The overriding opinion the world over is going to be that Mclaren is buying peace so that the truth doesn't come out.
Looks like Mclaren have a very poor PR team.
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen !
If I am a Corporate which Mclaren is ! Apologise is the last thing I would do. It is a Disaster every which way way. The overriding opinion the world over is going to be that Mclaren is buying peace so that the truth doesn't come out.
Looks like Mclaren have a very poor PR team.

Gee, if you know all about the operations of
corporates mean corporations you must be
aware that industrial spying is a way of life,not
just limited to Mcclaren.

Your so keen to punish Mcclaren,maybe Alonso needs
a 100 million fine,as he is what as known as a
accomplice in the whole matter.

Merry Xmas raindancer
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
Quite agree Dare, RD is not stupid, this way he gets to race next year, with two good, young drivers in an excellent car, I call that pretty astute. Guess who I'm backing in the next grig game, shh, it's a secret.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle