collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: what new races or good old races would you like to see in the future?  (Read 18856 times)

Offline romephius

Re: what new races or good old races would you like to see in the future?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 06:03:36 AM »
As a person who gets flustered at times due to my excitement, I quite like Murray, I like his little mistakes and his passion for motorsport is thoroughly infectious.  How could you not like a person with an innocent child-like pure love for what he does.  In the end he is not only there to call motorsport but to entertain the viewers and from what I have seen and heard from Mr Walker, he delivers each and everytime, only a humourless perfectionist would have a problem with him in my humble opinion.

Rom

P.S.  :yahoo: for Murray Walker

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:23 AM »
Ferrari Man 009, the answer to your question is Nurburgring 2007, and I've got the tapes to prove it.

I can understand why the other two were thrown in, though - USA 2001 was his last TV F1 commentary and Japan 2002 was his last full-time commentary (he did commentaries for a year for Orange customers - alas, I didn't even have a mobile phone back then!)

Yep, His last Tv commentary was USA 2001, because James Allen commentated with martin Brundle full time from Japan 2001. Murray commentated on the 2007 nurburgring grand prix for five live radio as a one off because the normal commentator was having a baby or something like that.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »
David Croft went on paternity leave.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
I must be a humourless perfectionist.  :D

Murray Walker is fine as a person and I admit to quite liking him as such.  It's the exaggerated praise and worship he comes in for, now that he's retired, that gets me down.  Has everyone forgotten how we used to complain about him when he was still commentating?  He may even have been the best English language commentator of them all but that reflects on the standard of commentary, not on Walker's abilities.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Ian

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »
I for one Chameleon, have never slated Murray off, to me Murray Walker is to F1 what David Attenborough is to documentaries, they both have the gift of making you think that it the first time that they have witnessed their particular subject.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
Having not come across any of the pre-retirement complaints about Murray (apart from The Mirror's complaint that Murray himself alluded to in his autobiography), I can't really comment on any of this - other than I reckon Murray made fewer errors than James Allen does. I will accept that Martin Brundle is a lot more accurate, though.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »
I often think Murray's replacement commentator, I can't bring myself to acknowledge him by name, is talking about a completely different race to the one I am watching. I think it's time to give Ted a rest from running up and down the pit lane and elevate him to commentate beside Martin. He can't make a worse job after all, and at least he doesn't keep talking about "a step foward" whatever the hell that means.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:42:15 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »
I think James is okay with help from martin but he makes less mistakes than murray and james because unlike them , he raced in F1 for a number of years . i think that james and louise should do the pits. ted and tony jardine with the punditry alongside steve rider and martin brundle commentating alongside mark blundell as they know what its like to drive an F1 car.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
We never got Murry over here, so about all I know of him is the Murry's Quotes here on Wizard. He does seem to stir up stong feelings, though.

As far as bad, BAD, BAD racing sportscasters, nobody can hold a candle to Darrell "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity" Waltrip. He's the reason that everyone mutes the TV during the Fox coverage and listens to MRN radio!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 04:01:09 PM »
Cos,don't forget how bad Derek Daly was when CBS
aired their 4 F! races time delayed.And even
though Danny Sullivan was a ex Indy winner
and a hometown boy he didn't add much either
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
Derek was a bit on the weak side, but at least he didn't have the fingernails-down-the-chalkboard quality of DW's constant prattle.

I think we can both agree that Speed's crew of Hobbs, Varsha & Co. are very, very good. We're lucky to have them.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »
Fortunately youtube is full of Murray.  The first is a compilation of him getting over-excited.  The second is him commenting on a race with overtaking.  Yes it is F1.  The third one I had to put in because I haven't seen this incident in 20 years.  Nothing to do with Murray although he is commenting on it.

Offline Dare

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »
Derek was a bit on the weak side, but at least he didn't have the fingernails-down-the-chalkboard quality of DW's constant prattle.

I think we can both agree that Speed's crew of Hobbs, Varsha & Co. are very, very good. We're lucky to have them.

My mind has gone blank,DW?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:18 PM »
I assume Darrell Waltrip.  I never heard him commentate but I remember him driving.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »
My mind has gone blank,DW?

Darrell "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity" Waltrip, self-proclaimed "Ol' DW."

By the way, when DW was driving, his nikname was "Jaws." Not because of his driving skills, but because of his non-stop mouth!
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle