collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: what new races or good old races would you like to see in the future?  (Read 18850 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: what new races or good old races would you like to see in the future?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
I have always wanted to see a GP at Laguna Seca but the circuit would need a lot of work to bring it up to standard.  I don't know why Herman Tilke doesn't try and design a corkscrew corner into one of his circuits.  The only other circuit that has anything similar is Bathurst but I can't remember what that section of the Bathurst is called

Offline romephius

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »
Here is a little something for you Steven, a lap of Bathurst with Murray Walker

and here is a pole position lap with Mark Skaife (good shots of the track)

I hope you like them and get the name of the corner you are thinking of

Rom

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »
Bathurst is truly wonderful, definitely a match for Laguna Seca.  But those concrete walls are the problem for F1 - Bernie would have a heart attack at the very idea.  Mind you, if the saloon car boys can do it, I think the F1 guys should too.

Perhaps there's scope for a new division within F1 - the existing one for wusses and another for the real men...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
I can't find the exact corner I have in mind but it is on the section coming down off the mountain.  There used to be a camera position where you could see the bottom of the cars as they dropped off a very tight left hander.  I like the following clip because it gives you an appreciation of what it is like to drive the track.

I like Rom's clips and I have to repeat Martin Brundle's comment when he took Murray out in the 2 seat McLaren.  I am super impressed that someone of Murray's age can handle an experience like that.  He seems calmer and more in control strapped in to a race car than he ever did in a commentary box.

Murray's 2-seater run.

Offline Ian

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
Great vid Steven, did anyone get the impression that Murray enjoyed it, I take my hat off to the guy.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline FERRARI MAN 009

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 09:08:53 PM »
I have a quiz question for you :  What was murray walkers las t f1 race commentary ?
was it
 a.) Usa 2001
 b.) Japan 2002
 c.) Nurburgring 2007

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 10:08:25 PM »
Can I put a vote in for Kylami, I've never been there but there seem to have been some interesting tussles there in the past and the weather should mean a good race during Europes colder months.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
I have been to Kyalami and it was a great circuit.  They tell me it has since been spoiled with many changes.

But notice what these circuits we appreciate have in common - elevation change.  More than anything else, that is what makes a circuit interesting for the spectator and challenging for the driver.  Blind rises followed by swooping corners, long straights unravelling up and down, banked corners that slingshot the car into greater speed, unbanked corners that demand respect, all require elevation change.

It is no wonder that Tilke's circuits are so often despised, given that he is invariably asked to make a featureless desert or a flat bit of swampland interesting.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
Bring back Zandvoort and Dijon.  They were good enough for Gilles to push his limit they should be find for the current lot.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 10:28:13 PM »
That Brundle/Walker video - what impresses me far more than Murray's attitude (he is, after all, just an old fart like so many of us, finally getting the ride of his life) is Martin's driving.  That guy has been out of F1 for ages yet can still get into the latest machine with complete confidence and make it go fast enough to threaten fastest lap times.  He is so low key about it all that it actually hides the fact that he is doing something much more impressive than the Shoe's return to test driving after only a year off.  It takes a great man to stand back, allow his own achievement to go unnoticed, while a blathering old fool has his moment in the sun!  :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
Can this be right Cham rating the aspiring apprentice above the true Grand Master?

I have witnessed Murray commentating as the trackside announcer at saloon car, formula Ford and even Kart races in almost all parts of Britain, certainly not for the money but because he genuinely loves motor racing. Throughout the lean years of F1 Murray was always there and his genuine knowledge, sense of fair play and affection for the sport along with his over enthusiastic style is sorely missed by most of us.

MW has earned his place in the hall of fame the hard way, I wonder if the other young gentleman, MB, will do ever do enough to be considered for the hall at some time in the future. The other so called commentator we get on British coverage of F1 is not worth refering to, so I won't
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 11:15:36 PM »
Ferrari Man 009, the answer to your question is Nurburgring 2007, and I've got the tapes to prove it.

I can understand why the other two were thrown in, though - USA 2001 was his last TV F1 commentary and Japan 2002 was his last full-time commentary (he did commentaries for a year for Orange customers - alas, I didn't even have a mobile phone back then!)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 12:28:47 AM »
One of my greatest delights is in shocking the majority by knocking their idols off pedestals, John.  And Murray Walker is just asking for it.  When I think back to those many years when he was irritating the life out of me with his constant mistakes, interruptions of one or another "expert" sidekick with more of his blathering nonsense, and his exaggerated over-excitement, I have to conclude that the sentimental nonsense talked about him now comes from collective amnesia.  In his heyday, we all detested him.  Muddly Talker indeed.

It's true that he loves motor sport but, had he just calmed down a bit, his commentary would have been so much more accurate and worthwhile.  His iconic status is the result of lasting forever, not for any great achievements.

But let us not confuse his record with Brundle's.  Walker's claim to fame is in the field of commentating on motor sport, Brundle's in many years as a driver in F1.  That Martin sallies forth into the commentating field is entirely thanks to already-established credentials, and the fact that he is now the best-loved of F1 commentators is an addition to his major talent, not a replacement for it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:31:12 AM by Chameleon »

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 12:49:07 AM »
It is not true that we all detested Murray.  I spent years arguing that he would be impossible to replace when he went.  Too often I was told that whoever got the job would be infinitely better.  It hasn't happened so far.  The reason he is respected is not his longevity.  The reason for his longevity was because he was respected.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 04:29:10 AM »
The very fact that you had to argue for so long that Murray was impossible to replace shows that the majority couldn't wait for him to go, Steven.  As it turns out, you were right, he is impossible to replace, but only because there is no-one with quite the same blend of excitability, verbal diarrhoea and foot-in-mouth disease - Murray has set the benchmark, as ludicrous as it is, by being the voice of motor sport for so long.  Now we find ourselves (apart from me) missing that inimitable delivery.

What I do miss is the quiet, slightly inebriated voice of James Hunt interjecting, "Er, no, Murray, that's actually not quite right..."  Not even Brundle can do that with quite the same understated disdain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle