collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Yet another engine rule change  (Read 946 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Yet another engine rule change
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64747

Drivers will now be allowed to change one engine per season without penalty.  This seems to me like a sensible rule.  I don't like the two engine rule but it makes sense to allow a driver one failure per season.  Quite why we need a two race rule now that engines are homologated I don't understand unless there is development room somewhere that would radically affect reliability. 

If there is and a driver has not had a penalty towards the end of the season we could see a one off hand grenade qualifying engine.  Sorry.  I got carried away there thinking this was proper motor racing.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Yet another engine rule change
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
This is an additional layer of complication that misses the essential truth - that making engines last multiple races is a pretty silly thing to do in the first place. If the powers that be are that bothered about longevity, why not make the races longer? Or better still, understand that F1 is about ridiculous amounts of speed in a middle-distance circuit run.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 06:53:53 PM »
The idea of not having special engines just for quali is a sound one. The teams should race what they qualify with. But this is where the situation got out of hand. The notion of multiple-race engines at this level of the sport is foolishness of the highest degree.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »
The thought of special engines for qualifying is long gone, I hope, but allowing only one free engine change in the whole season is a bit pointless if a manufacturer's engine has an inherent weakness.

Their engine can't be improved during the season as development has been stopped so potentially the team are sitting ducks. If they are allowed to change the power plant regularly with less or no penalty they may be able to run with different settings in the race and complete the course. If too many teams are hampered by reliability, can't work on a solution and lose points, we may see one or two throw in the towel.

Aagrh!...... I'm forgetting of coures a limitless supply of engines may cause a problem with the budget cap that is due to come in.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle