collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Nick Fry struggles with reality  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Nick Fry struggles with reality
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
http://formula1sport.net/formula-1/fry-excuses-barrichello-for-pointless-2007/

In an article about Rubens Barrichello's lack of motivation last season Mr Fry said "I fully accept that after 15 years in formula one, when we have presented him with a car that is less than fully competitive, it may sometimes be hard for him to maximise his motivation,”

Less than fully competitive.  It was useless.  The BMW was less than fully competitive and there is a long way between BMW and Honda.  How can he be expected to sort the team out if he can't bring himself to say the car was rubbish?

Offline cosworth151

Re: Nick Fry struggles with reality
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
Less than fully competitive.  It was useless.

Not so, Steven! The RA 107 was very useful. For most of the season, it kept my lads at Super Aguri from being at the bottom of the points! :D
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:49 PM »

Less than fully competitive.  It was useless. 

Harsh words indeed Steven for any team Principal to swallow, however it's talk just like this that lets Rubins off the hook.

It's not the lack of the word racing in the description of the performance of last years Honda that is the only problem, it's also appears a fact that all Barrichello's long experience in F1 was very little help in solving the problems. I was under the impression teams employed mature experienced drivers to help move the development foward.

Jenson at least improved his and their performance by year end. So perhaps Nick Fry is being diplomatic towards the team and it's pilot.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
C'mon, Rubens is done.  He's just nursing from the teet, building equity, until someone cuts him off.  He has struggled his entire time at Honda, and not just because of the car.  Someone (Fry?) should put him out to pasture and let a young gun jump in the race seat.  I still think it would be far more sensible to exchange him for Davidson at SA until Ruby's contract runs out.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:31:27 AM »
How do you know which driver if any was reponsible for improving the car.  Just because Jenson was faster doesn't mean he found technical solutions.  Give Barichello a decent car and he will surprise the people who have written him off.

The reason Honda had a bad car was nothing to do with drivers.  The problems within the company are in management and technical.  Ross Brawn should be able to sort them out unless Honda do to him what Toyota did to Gascoyne.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
I hate when someone comes up with a line I should have thought of bu the Gravel Trap on ITV F1 hit the nail on the head.  Calling the 2007 Honda less than fully competitive is like saying the Titanic was not fully water-tight.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
I think Ruebens had the misfortune of spending
his early years in uncompetive cars and then he
went to Ferrari and had the opportunity to shine
there was MS and team orders.

As far as Button out performing makes me remember
when Rueben's pit informed him Button said he was 2 seconds
a lap faster and Rubino said"don't make me laugh"
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »
How do you know which driver if any was reponsible for improving the car.  Just because Jenson was faster doesn't mean he found technical solutions. 

If Barrechello did improve the car , and you are quite right we shouldn't jump to conclusions, why oh why did he not use the extra speed he had found?

When he was at Ferrarri Rubens, for my money, was never Shuey's equal in any sense of the word and not just because he had number 2 status. He had flashes of brilliance of course but to be a world champ you have to have more than occasional good weekends.

I could be wrong but I think Honda's plan when they signed Barrechello was for him to support Jenson so they could secure the constructors title if Jens missed the driver's one.

Most teams have a pecking order for drivers, some by design the rest by the results that start to make the relative positions obvious. This can change over time, sometimes quite rapidly as at Mclaren last year, however the teams would be mad not to maximise potential on the one most likely to get the job done,
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle