collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 607
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jacques looking to stay in Nascar  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Dare

Jacques looking to stay in Nascar
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »
MONTREAL (AP) - Jacques Villeneuve has lured former IndyCar owner Barry Green out of a semi-retirement in Australia as the driver regroups for a renewed effort to make a successful transition from open-wheel racing to NASCAR.

Green, who owned teams that Villeneuve rode to championships in the 1990s, will work with the one-time Formula One world champion to find the sponsors he needs to get a full-time ride either in the Sprint Cup or Nationwide series.

Villeneuve, who failed to qualify for last Sunday's Daytona 500, made the announcement at a press conference at his downtown restaurant Wednesday.

"The chemistry with us was always very good," Villeneuve said. "He brings credibility, respect — even though it's NASCAR, there are a lot of people that he knows and that know him, or that know of him, because of the ChampCar days and the IRL days."

Villeneuve, the 1995 Indianapolis 500 champion after winning the CART rookie-of-the-year title in 1994, acknowledged his disappointment at the current state of his bid to establish himself in NASCAR.

"There would have been a way to carry on for the next races and be in place for the year, but I think it would have been so chaotic that in the long run, within a few months we would have regretted it and there would have been a price to pay at some point that would have shortened a probable NASCAR career which is not the goal," Villeneuve said.

Green first spoke to the Canadian driver a few weeks ago.

"He must have told me five times in the first week how much he loved that series and loved being in those cars, so I was convinced, I was bitten and here I am flat out," Green said. "The main mission is a major sponsor so Jacques can compete."

Green said that they were still talking with Bill Davis Racing about Villeneuve's possible future with the team.

"It's a great operation," Green said. "They have Toyota as their manufacturing partner and they have some great people inside that race team. So, no, Bill Davis Racing, that option is not all but dead but we've got to understand he's got to do what he thinks is right for his race team."

The 36-year-old Villeneuve also is determined to once again race the 24 Hours of Le Mans for Peugeot in June after making his initial appearance in last year's race.

"That's very important, but at the same time we have to build a strong program, not just for a few races but for the next five to 10 years," Villeneuve said. "Barry has been a big help in slowing me down, forcing me to think a little bit and not to think as a racer, going for a move and trying to overtake someone."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle