collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 848
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Legendary Caterham road car  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Wizzo

Legendary Caterham road car
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »
When Jeremy Clarkson declares a car "without any doubt, the ultimate driving machine," and when that same car has a 30-year history of being banned from racing against the most expensive supercars because it routinely thrashes the pants off just about anything around a racetrack, you might suspect that car's got something going for it. So when a special edition is released with an all-new super-lightweight 500hp motor in a package that delivers more than twice the power-to-weight ratio of a Bugatti Veyron, for around a tenth of the price, it must rate as a significant moment in motoring history. Making around 1 horsepower per kilogram, rocketing to 60mph in less than 3 seconds, and yours for only UK£115,000, it's the RS Performance Caterham Levante.

Caterham's iconic Seven, in production now for over 50 years, has a well-earned reputation as one of the purest driving experiences available on the planet. Hard, harsh, telepathically responsive and incredibly nimble, they demand full attention at all times from the driver's seat, a welcome change from the clinically sanitized, electronically-assisted yawn-boxes that most modern cars have evolved into. These ultra-lightweight British screamers have been sold primarily as kit cars in the last ten years, to get around the taxes, noise and safety restrictions imposed on fully assembled new cars.

The light weight and top-rate componentry of the Seven resulted in a racetrack agility very little else could come close to - to the point where it was designated "too fast to race" as early as the 1970s and has since been blacklisted by the FIA, the Nurburgring 24-hour, and most other international production sportscar race series.

It's worth noting that even with an engine making only 200 horsepower, the Caterham is belting out a power-to-weight ratio 30% higher than anything Ferrari or Lamborghini are putting on the road. So you can imagine how it might get off at the lights now that RS Performance has fitted the giant-killer with a supercharged 2.4 litre V8 that makes in excess of 500 horsepower at 10,000rpm.

To put that in context, the barnstorming supercar du jour, the Bugatti Veyron, makes around 1000 horsepower to pull its kerb weight of 1,888kg - a power-to-weight ratio of about 530hp per tonne. The RS Performance Caterham Levante weighs in at a little over 500kg, giving it a power-to-weight ratio of around 1,000hp per tonne - the magic 1 horsepower per kilogram number only recently attained by roadgoing superbikes like Suzuki's GSX-R1000. Truly mind-boggling performance.

The gearbox is a sequential paddle-shift with limited-slip differential. Suspension on the exposed front wheels is handled by FreeStyle, the rear by Dedion with 3-way adjustable shocks all round. Brakes are simply listed as "Hi Spec" featuring brake bias adjustment, and everything that can be made from carbon fiber has been.

The engine is electronically limited to 150mph, which will be a blessing as there's no windscreen, and there's an optional fuel map adjustment system, complete with a "valet mode" to neuter the car's extreme performance when anybody but a driving god is behind the wheel.

Prices start at UK£115,000 for the naturally aspirated 400hp version, and you'd best be quick if you're interested in the 500hp Levante - only eight will be built.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 08:36:34 PM by GPWizard »

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

Re: Legendary Caterham road car
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:14:42 PM »
Well that's a bit expensive isn't it :o

Neil.P

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »
And a windscreens extra too
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:04:19 PM »
Even if I could afford it I wouldn't have the bottle to open it up.  :confused: :stop: :-[

Really scary is the word that springs to mind.....Great car though. :swoon:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

CrazyHorse

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
nice car  :good:

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »
And people say Chapman's cars never lasted very long.  If only he had stuck to designing and let other people manufacture them.

I didn't know anything this side of the 1940s had a DeDion back end.  Guess I am not as clued up as I occasionaly like to think I am.

Any chance one of these will be a competition prize soon? :DD

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
I saw one of these here last year - I don't think the Swiss have a clue what they really are.  The owner was impressed that I knew about them at all.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »
Any chance one of these will be a competition prize soon?

You'll have to run that one past Mrs Wiz Steven - Good Luck!  :stop:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
Maybe Neil will offer his in a competition ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
Dare, that's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard I think :D

Neil.P

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
Ford seems to have done well with the "Bullitt" version of the Mustang. How about a "Prisoner" version of the 7?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

Is that Neil on the right of that picture?  :P

Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
I'll get you back one day Wizzo :( :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 08:45:06 PM »

Is that Neil on the right of that picture?  :P

I think Neil's wig has been explained :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 08:47:47 PM »
It is a remarkable likeness ain't it Wiz.  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle