collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Has Rosberg blown his chance  (Read 987 times)

Offline Dare

Has Rosberg blown his chance
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:06 AM »
interesting read on being in the right
place at the right time

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3261_3223879,00.html

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Has Rosberg blown his chance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »
I don't know...shining in a 3rd or 4th place team for a couple of years is often much better for the resume than jumping at Ferrari or McLaren the first time they come calling (look at Alonzo!).  Things rarely go as 'planned'.  If he is satisfied that Williams is indeed making progress, and he is comfortable in his role within the team, the team's support of him, and his compensation, why move?

He's still young.  Teams don't always grab the young gun - experience often brings...oh hum... six thenths a lap.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Cam

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »
I get the feeling there's an air of quiet confidence about the Williams team at the moment, and that Williams/Rosberg is going to be the surprise of the season (in a season that doesnt currently appear to be offering many surprises)

I'm surprised the article didnt mention Mark Webber, didnt he have a chance to join Renault in 2005 and turned it down in favour of Williams?

cheers,
Cam
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
It also didn't mention Gerhard Berger joining McLaren thinking he was going to beat Senna and establish himself as number one in the world.  It is always easy to jump into a top team but if you get beaten by a highly rated team mate then you reputation will be harmed. 

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »
Heinz Harald Frentzen demonstrated that it is more important for a driver to be comfortable in a team than to have the best car (strangely enough, it was Williams that he didn't get on with).  Had Nico gone to McLaren, he would have faced direct comparison with Hamilton and very likely come out the loser.  At Williams, however, he is the golden boy and they will give him whatever he wants to keep him.  All he has to do is beat Kazuki more often than not, a somewhat shorter order than the Hamilton option.

Planet-F1 is, as usual, talking through its fundamental orifice.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »
We have all heard Toy might be pulling out of the game if this happens they might just make Williams their official factory team.

They will want to save face and giving Williams full support may just get a Toy engine in a World championship winning car. Nico could be in exactly the right place in a year or 2.

For now though he is probably sitting in the most improved car over last season, if so
he could get some good results and even possibly his first race win.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »
I don't think he has "blown" it.

First and foremost however, he had a contract with Williams and I am very happy to see him honor that.

He may or may not have done well at McLaren.
Williams are likely (based upon testing) to be a big surprise this season.
Even if Williams do not perform this season, he will have gained in experience and very likely value to other teams.  That could be a boost for him, not that we presently know of any top teams looking for 2009 replacements yet.

In all, he is in good shape and should do fine.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
I think he's making the right move. Being the "big fish in a small pond" will give him keep him in the spotlight while giving him a chance to learn.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle