collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 356
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Richard Hammond in pole to take over F1 coverage  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Wizzo

Richard Hammond in pole to take over F1 coverage
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:35:07 AM »

Hammond, the Top Gear presenter who survived a high-speed crash, is in pole position to become the face of Formula One after the BBC reclaimed the sport in a £200 million deal.

In a surprise move, ITV dumped Formula One after 12 years, claiming that it was not commercially viable despite the emergence of Lewis Hamilton as a British contender for the world championship.

The BBC plans a “brighter, bolder, faster” presentation, screening races live via broadband and mobile phones as well as conventional television.

The Top Gear team, however, will be let loose in the Monte Carlo pit lane and Formula One’s other glamorous locations in an attempt to extend the audience beyond “petrolheads”.

Murray Walker, the veteran commentator and never one for understatement, said he was “absolutely flabbergasted” at the sport’s return to the BBC. However, MPs questioned the corporation’s decision to spend £200 million on an event already shown on terrestrial television.

ITV activated a break clause in its contract with the motor sport’s governing body, Bernie Ecclestone’s Formula One Administration.

Races, which take place off-peak on Sundays and sometimes in the early hours, attract a relatively small audience compared with the six million who watch a midweek Champions League football match.

The BBC was offering a “fresh face” and a commitment to exploit Formula One fully across radio, television and digital media during the five-year deal, Mr Ecclestone said.

Coverage will be influenced by the success of the Jeremy Clarkson-fronted Top Gear when the five-year deal begins next year. Dominic Coles, BBC director of sport rights, said: “When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix. Bernie was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races.”

Clarkson and James May, Hammond’s co-conspirators, will also join in the grand prix fun but insiders believe “The Hamster” has a special affinity with drivers after his crash.

Web message boards yesterday urged the BBC to revive The Chain, the Fleetwood Mac theme which accompanied race coverage.

Walker said: “I was lying in bed listening to the news this morning and I almost fell out of bed when I heard it. It’s an amazing development because I think ITV did and do a superb job.”

Andrew Mackinlay, the Labour MP, said Formula One should be shown on commercial television and the licence fee directed towards “real, competitive” sport.

The BBC promised that money would not be diverted from coverage of grassroots sports.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Richard Hammond in pole to take over F1 coverage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:45:25 AM »
This is idiotic.  You cannot let Clarkson loose during F1 coverage.  It will turn into a farce.  Much as I like Top Gear this is just going to produce tabloid televisual garbage,

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 02:00:26 AM »
Good post Steven, totally agree.

Neil.P

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 02:03:35 AM »
If he ends up involved, it won't take long for Clarkson to be up in front of the FIA for bringing the sport into disrepute.....  :DD

But seriously I can't think of anyone worse to be involved..... I'd keep James Allen over bringing in Clarkson

Rom

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:54 AM »
Why not hire Brundell as a sidekick
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:44:23 AM »
"...an attempt to extend the audience beyond 'petrolheads'."

That's the worrying bit.  I can only hope that the Beeb run true to form and prove completely unable to put on entertainment for the masses.  When will the media cretins understand that appealing to the lowest common denominator does not work in F1 - it simply drives away the true fans?  If they are that desperate to increase the ratings, they should be educating the casual viewer, not seeking to pander to him.  Turn the whole damn country into "petrolheads", that's the way to go.

As for this Richard Hammond guy, he might be okay if they don't surround him with the rest of the Top Gear team all the time.  Top Gear works for two reasons:

1. We are unable to believe that Jeremy Clarkson is really as crass as he appears and so return week after week to see if we were wrong and he is really quite a nice guy.  He's so horrible that we actually like him - although we'd never admit it.

2. The chemistry between the three of them sets a jocular tone to the programme that is quite cosy and fun - sort of student-ish, if you know what I mean.

It's that last one that Hammond needs to overcome - can he commentate on a GP without getting as silly as he gets on Top Gear?  Remains to be seen.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »
Another point (which shows just how much money talks) I remember Hammond stating how little he liked F1 prior to his test of the Renault F1 car recently.  It is sounding bad so far, I am not convinced the BBC will do much to benefit F1.  Why would someone watch a Grand Prix on their crampt mobile phone screen?  You need to see it in as big a screen as possible.  Technology is good if it enhances the experience, not if it is there for the sake of trying to appeal to youths with their phones who will lose interest after 5 minutes.

TheStig

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:19:55 AM »
Bring back Murray,it would just be like old times.

Even if he just did the Silverstone commentary

The Stig

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound as if Top Gear will actually be commenting, but doing additional pieces in the same way as various ITV team members do extra build-up pieces. "Coverage will be influenced by Top Gear" is quite different to saying the Top Gear presenters are going to dominate proceedings. This is a good sign - though whether Top Gear style will transfer to F1 set piece coverage remains to be seen.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

TheStig

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
Old Martin Brundle does not get a look in on the grid walk these days.
Do you think this mob will get to the drivers on race day and carry out an interveiw of any description?

Love Top Gear though.

The Stig

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »
They have never really given Blundell the chance to take a bigger role, perhaps he could be in the frame for the expert opinion or will the stig turn up alongside the commentator, suitably disguised of course?

I am not sure Hampster will want the commitment to the GP Circus he has a lot of other things on the go. Ted is my choice, elevate him from the pit lane, he could even take over the grid walk as he is probably closer to most of the people in the pit lane already than anyone.

Anyone will be an improvement on James Allen, even one of the Spice Girls!
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Andy B

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
Old Martin Brundle does not get a look in on the grid walk these days.
Do you think this mob will get to the drivers on race day and carry out an interveiw of any description?

Love Top Gear though.

The Stig

Your biased though!! :D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

TheStig

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »
Just a bit....Andy B
Stig

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 07:21:11 PM »
Having slept on it and calmed down a little since my orignal post I would just like to make it clear that I still think it is a damned stupid idea for Top Gear to have anything to do with F1.  Clarkson is fine on Top Gear but the last think F1 coverage needs is him.  And how can anyone called Captain Slow be involved in racing in any way.

If this happens I intend to start an internet petition to boycott Top Gear.  I can't not watch F1 so it has to be Top Gear even though I like it.  If they let a lunatic like Clarkson loose in the build-up shows you can kiss good bye to all the fabulous Martin Brundle tech features and look forward to them being replaced by grannies doing donuts.

TheStig

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 07:28:33 PM »
I agree with what you are saying,however i think the Top Gear chaps will be used more toward the mobile phone and general media downloads etc.

I really can't see Clarckson on the F1 Grid with super slow following around the pit girls can you?

TheStig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle