collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 480
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari plans aero update for Bahrain  (Read 5412 times)

TheStig

Ferrari plans aero update for Bahrain
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
Ferrari has not been idle on the car front since Sepang and last Saturday, tester Marc Gene evaluated some aerodynamic elements in a secret test session at Vairano.

The plan for this year is that we should have continuous updates throughout the season," revealed Ferrari technical director Aldo Costa. "We aim to improve the package step by step with changes coming for almost every race and in Bahrain we will run some new aero parts."

TheStig

Offline Scott

Re: Ferrari plans aero update for Bahrain
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »
Secret test session - does that mean that they aren't counting it as a testing day?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

TheStig

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
I read today,that they plan to hold fire on the introduction of the new aero.So we wont see anything new in Bahrain.

TheStig

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
'cept maybe that electronic lolipop

TheStig

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »
I must say i missed the electronic lollipop,have you anything more on it at all?

TheStig

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
Secret test session - does that mean that they aren't counting it as a testing day?

It was straight line testing apparently, Scotty.  Doesn't count towards the testing allocation.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:33:03 PM »
I read today,that they plan to hold fire on the introduction of the new aero.So we wont see anything new in Bahrain.

TheStig

Guess maybe the changes didn't work as well as they hoped. ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
Well, they will be introducing some aero tweaks apparently.  What they have decided against at this stage is the hole they have cut in the nose - because they don't want to compromise reliability.

Now I know this is probably a silly question, but how will a hole in the nose affect the reliability of the cars (let alone be of aerodynamic benefit)?  Methinks they're playing some devious Italian game or other...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:47:13 PM »
I think the small hole in the current nose is used to cool some electronics. Maybe the mods caused problems there.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »
I knew it was a silly question.  But I still prefer my Italian conspiracy theory.  :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:14:02 AM »
the culprit
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:53:11 AM »
That looks like quite a bit more developement than a hole to cool electronics.  I think it's a bit ugly, especially at the angle of the picture, but  wonder how the aero is improved.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »
The photo doesn't include the alleged hole in the nose, which is supposed to be right where the Bridgestone logo is at present.  I have seen elsewhere an explanation that makes quite a lot of sense.  We have been presuming that the hole is an intake but it is more likely that it is an outlet.  If a corresponding hole is cut ahead of the logo but underneath the nose, it would act as an extractor for the central section of the front wing, thereby increasing its aerodynamic efficiency.

This would be a similar idea to the sixties brainwave of cutting a hole in the bonnet (hood) to allow air passing through the radiator an outlet, thus reducing drag.  I still don't see how it affects reliability, however.  ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
That way, when David Hobbs says, "The Ferrari just went kablammo!" the team can blame it on the hole. ;)
― Bob Dylan

TheStig

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
I have found a reference photograph of the proposed nosecone with the hole that has been tested here:

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/f1/2008/mal/f1-2008-mal-xp-0595.jpg

Hope this helps the topic

TheStig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle