collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 406
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The backlash against Max begins.  (Read 8344 times)

FW14B

The backlash against Max begins.
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:01 AM »
Come on, bring it on, surely he cannot continue with the pressure that is coming his way.  With the Middle East being considered so important for F1, how can he stay in power?  And now even teams are coming out distancing themselves from him.

From Autosport:
German car manufacturers BMW and Mercedes-Benz have issued a statement labeling FIA president Max Mosley's behaviour as 'disgraceful'.

In the first public comment made by Formula One competitors since details of Mosley's private life were revealed in the News of the World, the car makers say that they distance themselves from what has happened.

And they make it clear that the implications for the revelations go far beyond just F1.

A joint statement issued by them said: "The content of the publications is disgraceful. As a company, we strongly distance ourselves from it.

"This incident concerns Max Mosley both personally and as President of the FIA, the global umbrella organisation for motoring clubs. Its consequences therefore extend far beyond the motor sport industry. We await a response from the relevant FIA bodies."

Mosley wrote a letter to the FIA earlier this week apologising for any embarrassment caused by the News of the World story, but emphasising that he intends to carry on in his role with motor racing's governing body.

In the wake of the story, however, Mosley has cancelled a planned visit to this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix. This morning's Times newspaper revealed that the Bahraini royal family had written to Mosley making it clear that they did not wish him to turn up.

Also from Autosport:
Sheikh Salman Bin Hamad Al-Khalifa, the Crown Prince of Bahrain, says it would be inappropriate for FIA president Max Mosley to attend this weekend's race following revelations about him in a tabloid newspaper.

The FIA head was originally scheduled to attend the race, but a spokesman said on Thursday he would not travel to Bahrain as he was busy with legal matters.

"The FIA President was originally scheduled to attend the race in Bahrain but legal matters have detained him in London," he said.

The Times newspaper, however, reports that the Crown Price of Bahrain had asked Mosley not to attend the event in order to keep the focus on the grand prix.

It it unknown if the letter had been sent before or after the FIA confirmed Mosley would not travel to Bahrain.

"In light of the allegations, I suspect you may be deliberating on your planned attendance at the Grand Prix here in Bahrain later in the week," The Times quoted the Crown Prince as writing in a letter to Mosley.

"I therefore felt it important to convey the position of Bahrain and its people.

"Clearly of paramount importance is the success of the event for all concerned — the Kingdom of Bahrain, Formula One and spectators. The focus quite rightly should be on the race.

"With great regret, I feel that under the current circumstances, it would be inappropriate for you to be in Bahrain at this time."

Offline romephius

Re: The backlash against Max begins.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
Absolutely fantastic, I think everyone should denounce this deplorable act by Mosely.  There are very few supporters that think 'what mosely did in his private life is his own business'.  This would be true if it wasn't brought to light.  Now that it is in the public domain, he answers to public opinion.  He shouldn't be allowed to decide if he continues in his role, he needs to be summarily dismissed with immediate effect, full forfeiture of any pay and benefits owing to him and finally, banned from all motorsport events for the remainder of his life.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Rom

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
Oh the ban for life would be sweet!  Sorry if it seems like I'm rubbing my hands with glee, but I am! 

BMW and Merc issuing a joint statement is fantastic, especially with the quote "This incident concerns Max Mosley both personally and as President of the FIA, the global umbrella organisation for motoring clubs. Its consequences therefore extend far beyond the motor sport industry. We await a response from the relevant FIA bodies", and especially with that last sentence - meaning "We are WAITING for his immediate dismissal" is just wonderful.

I'm telling you guys, it's coming tomorrow...or Saturday at the very latest.  Max is toast! 

Rom, unfortunately (for us) the FIA presidency is currently an unpaid position, so he will be due nothing.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:11:03 PM »
I wonder if our friends in Maranello will feel the need to say anything some time soon.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
Toyota Motorsport Statement
"Toyota Motorsport does not approve of any behaviour which could be seen to damage Formula 1's image, in particular any behaviour which could be understood to be racist or anti-Semitic."

"Senior figures within any sport or business, including motorsport, must adhere to high standards of behaviour."

"When all the facts are known, it will be for the FIA to decide whether Mr Mosley has met the moral obligations which come with the position of FIA President."

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
A Statement from the Honda Racing F1 Team
"It is necessary that senior figures in sport and business maintain the highest standards of conduct in order to fulfil their duties with integrity and respect."

"The Honda Racing F1 Team is extremely disappointed by recent events surrounding Mr Mosley and we are concerned that the reputation of Formula One and all its participants is being damaged."

"We request that the FIA gives this matter careful consideration and reaches an immediate decision in the best interests of F1 and Motorsport."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:18:23 PM »
What a surprise...Paul Stoddard:

As the Manufacturers make their feelings known with regard to FIA President Max Moseley and his alleged actions last weekend, Paul Stoddart, the former owner of the Minardi Formula One team, is clear in his view of the Mosley situation.

"He has to go - he absolutely has to go," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Anyone in public office cannot survive a scandal like this... He is dragging the FIA down into the gutter."

"He is the head of the FIA," Stoddart continued. "You cannot have someone in his position in which his role is to meet leaders all over the world."

Stoddart said that he was not surprised when he first heard the reports of Mosley's activities and that the FIA President is bringing the sport into disrepute.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »
hey hold on you lot - what happened to the "innocent until proven guilty" maxim?

a b***** tabloid prints an unsustantiated story and already the lynch mob is out. The photo's of people who are described as wearing Nazi type costumes clearly are not but away the mob goes with its knee-jerk reaction.

Sure, many of us find Max Mosly easy to dislike but it is very obvious to me the stories printed by this mob of tabloids are false and will result in them paying substantial damages to Mr Max Mosley.

And anyway, when has a person's private life had any real bearing on his ability to do a job?

Furthermore are you people b----y saints as well?  :stop:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:32:51 PM »
Get over it SennaMan - have you seen the video??  If you haven't, you should, it's a good show, and pretty darn clear.  What the tabloids print is dramatic and over-the-top, but what I'm posting is the manufacturer's response to the episode THAT ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE.  He doesn't have to be proven guilty, he doesn't even claim that it didn't happen, just that it didn't have the Nazi connotation to it (which it clearly DID - but who cares).  If you drive a dump truck, nobody cares what you do in your spare time.  When you are the elected head of the world motorsports body and represent morality and sporting behaviour around the world - it kind of interferes with things.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »
Max just doesn't GET IT!!  It's not really even about the Nazi element - it is quite simply that he was involved in something that is not considered appropriate by someone who represents the sport, who deals with major manufacturer's, sponsors and world leaders on a regular basis. 

ANY S&M activity that is filmed and distributed widely on the internet would bring down the lowliest of mayors, or even business leaders - that is an (unfortunate) reality.  Why on earth does he really think that the FIA would respond on his behalf in his support??  What about Toyota?  What about Honda?  Are they also angered about the Nazi element?  I doubt it - they are angered about the misbehaviour of Max, PERIOD!

Anyhow, here is Max's naive and shallow response...'disappointed in the German manufacturer's' INDEED!!:

A morning of statements regarding the FIA President
 03/04/08 13:25

Max Mosley on Thursday responded with disappointment to news that carmakers involved in formula one had denounced his involvement in the sex scandal.

Germany's BMW and Mercedes-Benz were the first to slam the FIA President's allegedly 'disgraceful' behaviour, that at the weekend was revealed by the British tabloid press.

Mosley, who in a letter to FIA affiliates this week did not deny his escapades with five prostitutes, responded: "Given the history of BMW and Mercedes-Benz, particularly before and during the Second World War, I fully understand why they would wish to strongly distance themselves from what they rightly describe as the disgraceful content of these publications," he said, no doubt referring to the Nazi elements of News of the World's reportage.

"Unfortunately, they did not contact me before putting out their statement to ask whether the content was in fact true," the 67-year-old added.

"No doubt, the FIA will respond to them in due course, as I am about to respond to the newspaper in question."

But Mosley's support base subsequently only dwindled further, when F1's Japanese contingent - manufacturers Honda and Toyota - also slammed his conduct.

Offline romephius

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
I don't think any of us are saying that we are saints.  But also none of us are in a position of international power and in the media spotlight.  A persons privacy is sacred, however, like the paris hilton tape, once it's in the public arena you are now subject to the public opinion, both positive and negative.  

As you say, innocent until proven guilty is the way people are to be treated........ in the courts.  The court of public opinion has no such rules, it is raw human emotion that is driving this.  I applaude your neutral thinking on the situation.  I however am not able to control my emotion over this and felt strongly enough to share my opinion with you all.

I think this may be the case with the others that have posted negative Mosly comments here.

But as usual this is just my opinion on the matter.

Take it easy SennaMan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »
Get over it SennaMan - have you seen the video?? 

My apologies SennaMan - that was rude.  My reaction was regarding your assertion that the entire story was obviously false.  That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »
From the FIA's online statutes:

ARTICLE 27 - RESIGNATIONS - STRIKING OFF THE ROLLS - EXPELLING – SANCTIONS

In addition, the World Motor Sport Council may directly impose the sanctions provided for in the International Sporting Code, and where appropriate the World Council for Automobile Mobility and Tourism may impose fines on or demand the exclusion from FIA bodies or international sporting events of licence holders, executive officers or members of ASNs or ACNs: 

5) who by words, deeds or writings have inflicted moral injury and loss on the FIA, a World Council, their Members or their executive officers. 

Let's fine Max $100million!!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »
First off, I'd love to see Max out of the sport. I think he should have been shown the door after Indy 2005. His exit would be a great boon to the sport.

That said, I have to agree with SennsMan. What happens behind closed doors between concenting adults has nothing to do with their job performance. Governor Spitzer's acts had nothing to do with the governence of New York. The state would be far better off if he continued in office. America would have been far better off without the impeachment of President Clinton.

I don’t agree that Mosley’s actions have inflicted moral injury on the FIA. First, these were the actions of a private individual on his own time. As such, it shouldn’t reflect on the FIA in any way. Second, his actions, while distasteful, were not immoral. The neo-puritanical attitude that certain sexual acts between consenting adults belong in the 19th century.

While the Nazi aspect of this episode is highly distasteful given Mosley’s background, it wasn’t like he was advocating Nazism.

I never thought I’d be put in the place of defending Max, but fair is fair. Neo-Puritanism is one of the most insidious forces in society today. We should not endorse it, no matter how good the action we seek (dumping Max) is. The ends do not justify the means.

I hope I haven’t offended any of my friends here at GPW.

Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

TheStig

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »
I think youre comments are spot on cosworth.
We will all have to wait and see what the backlash will be on this subject in the coming weeks.

TheStig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle