collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 615
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So who would you like to see replace Max?  (Read 5602 times)

Online Andy B

So who would you like to see replace Max?
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
If he goes that is.

I think Jean Todt is far too Ferrari orientated to take that position.
Jackie Stewart would not in my opinion want it.
So I am at a bit of a loss as to who could take this role remebering its not just about F1.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

Re: So who would you like to see replace Max?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:59:15 PM »
I have two choices, both named Tony:

1. Tony Purnell, late of Jaguar F1. Knows F1, forward thinking and a fine manager.

2. Tony George, of the IRL and IMS. Third generation racing promoter. When CART got too dominated by a few big teams, he started the IRL and made it stick. He, like his Hullman forebarers, is the best friend a racefan ever had.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again - Tony Purnell
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
Jackie Stewart would be my first choice or Ron Dennis or a Mercedes or BMW board member or Martin Brundle or the editor of the NOTW or anyone else who is not connected to Ferrari or in Bernie's pocket.

JYS is the answer.

TheStig

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:57:53 PM »
I think the old firm will keep it internal.Bernie will step up leaving Flav to step into the gap.

Who filmed Max?
TheStig

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:59 PM »
And a very good answer indeed, Steven.  Unfortunately, Sir Jackie has already said that he won't do it, if my memory serves me correctly.

I still think Alex Wurz is a good bet (although, of course, he will never even be considered) because:

1. He is young in comparison to previous presidents - the oldies have had a go, now let's see how the young do.

2. He is not British or Italian and is, therefore, likely to be acceptable to just about everyone.

3. He has a realistic view of his own abilities and is unlikely to develop an exaggerated opinion of his infallibility.

4. He is a gentleman and unlikely to offend anyone.

5. He is humble enough to listen to what others have to say yet decisive enough when the time comes to move forward.

6. He has worked for several teams and has seen F1 life in various forms therefore - and is unlikely to be biased in any particular way.

7. He knows how to be correct in defeat and generous in victory.

8. Who does not love Alex?

I could go on...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
The job is not just about F1, as someone has said previously on this thread, so I think they should be looking outside F1, there are plenty of retired sports car drivers or team owners who have the International connections and vision to take the job on. A outsider to F1 would start from a clean sheet position with all the teams and should make life easier for eveyone.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Andy B

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:33 AM »
Also remember, to my knowledge, its an unpaid position.
I'm sure I read that on a web site this week.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »
It is indeed unpaid. Although the FIA President gets expenses to and from FIA business at headquarters, he or she must also pay any other expenses incurred in the post. So only rich people need apply.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline DragonBreath

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
I have two choices, both named Tony:

1. Tony Purnell, late of Jaguar F1. Knows F1, forward thinking and a fine manager.

2. Tony George, of the IRL and IMS. Third generation racing promoter. When CART got too dominated by a few big teams, he started the IRL and made it stick. He, like his Hullman forebarers, is the best friend a racefan ever had.

Oh, goodness, Cos, I've usually agreed with your thoughts, but I have to draw the line at Tony George.  I don't think he's the devil incarnate, but what he did to open-wheeled racing in the U.S. is a crime.  He really let his ego get the best of him, IMO.  Not that the bunch over at CART were any better, of course, but I just don't see Tony as being the open-minded man we'd all like to see at the FIA.

Now, Bobby Rahal would be a different matter....

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 11:29:37 PM »
Sorry to disagree, DB. I think Tony saved open wheel over here. CART was out of control and headed downhill fast. NASCAR had replaced open wheel on TV and in the press. Even the IRL/CART feud generated press coverage that open wheel hadn't gotten since the 60's.

I like Rahal. His shops are about 45 minutes from my home. His brief tenure as head of Jaguar F1 makes me think he wouldn't do too well.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »
On Rahal, I agree with you Cos - not because he doesn't have the ability, but more because of his short stint at Jag (that ba$tard Lauda!).

On George, I'm on the other side.  He is a great marketer, no question.  A fairly savvy businessman, perhaps (although he's had to go to Mom for a bit of cash on occassion, I suspect).  But a diplomat (something the FIA needs, not necessarily something it has in Max)?  No chance.  He has rubbed too many people the wrong way, and if you give him the power that the FIA Pres has, he would make Max look like sympathetic.  I think you threw his name in as a late April Fool's Day joke anyway.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline romephius

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 08:15:15 AM »
Well I am gonna throw my name into the mix for FIA pres, I know nothing about how to do the job, I can be diplomatic (thanks to my job in customer service) and I can be completely beligerant and make silly rules and judgements and force people to do what I say regardless of what others want.

Surely all these qualities qualify me for the position???

Rom  :crazy:

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »
Sounds like you've got the job Rom, as you say, you hold all the qualifications.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
What do you get up to in your spare time, Rom?

:D
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle