collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 604
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren chief says Montoya could still race this season  (Read 1803 times)

davewilson

McLaren chief says Montoya could still race this season
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
Juan Pablo Montoya could still race in Formula One this season, after all.

The Colombian driver left the McLaren team this week after announcing that he was switching to the US-based NASCAR series next season.

However, McLaren chief Ron Dennis said on Friday that Montoya is still a McLaren employee and could be back this season.

"Juan Pablo is contracted through to the end of the year," Dennis said at the French Grand Prix. "And if we so choose, he will test and race again."

Asked whether Montoya could race again in F1, Dennis said, "More than possible and with our team."

"He still is contracted to us, unless there is some other commercial arrangement between ourselves and the NASCAR team or Juan himself," Dennis said.

There are eight races left in the F1 season.

Montoya said on Sunday he was joining the NASCAR series next season. On Wednesday, McLaren announced that he was leaving the F1 team immediately. That led to speculation that Montoya could compete in NASCAR sooner than expected.

Montoya moved to F1 with Team Williams in 2001. He fell short of expectations with Williams and, after moving to McLaren in 2005, also was disappointing with that team.

Montoya never finished better than third in the F1 drivers championship and won just seven races in 95 starts. Montoya was sixth in this year's F1 standings.

He's being replaced for now by test driver Pedro de la Rosa, who will race alongside McLaren team mate Kimi Raikkonen at the French Grand Prix on Sunday.

"Clearly Juan Pablo has struggled at times," Dennis said. "I feel the team has been totally supportive of him and continues to be supportive of Juan Pablo."

Current F1 champion Fernando Alonso said he was surprised by Montoya's move.

"A driver has to have motivation and be quick. He has to be aggressive in his driving style," Alonso said. "Maybe he lost a little bit of motivation.

"So the best thing is to find a new one. In NASCAR he will do a great job, hopefully."

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher, who has had a number of close calls on the track with Montoya, declined to answer when asked whether he will miss him.

But Schumacher said he can't see himself following Montoya to NASCAR.

"Personally I wouldn't do it," he said. "What do you see in NASCAR? What is exciting about it? I can't see running around in ovals. I don't see the challenge for me."
Article
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1744407,00070007.htm
The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle