collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Free satellite TV service begins  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Wizzo

Free satellite TV service begins
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
A free satellite TV service offering high-definition channels and backed by the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 has launched in the UK.

Freesat is available through high street and online stores such as Currys and John Lewis and will initially offer 80 television channels and radio stations, rising to 200 by the end of the year.

Customers will pay a one-off charge for a satellite dish, a set-top box, and installation with no monthly subscriptions.

If your home already has a satellite dish, then it should be suitable for receiving Freesat according to the company.

BBC Vision's head of HDTV, Seetha Kumar, promised that the BBC's High Definition channel, BBC HD, would have plenty of content in the forthcoming months, including the Olympics, the Chelsea Flower Show and Euro 2008.

As satellite broadcasting doesn't rely on TV transmitters, it will be immediately available to 98 per cent of the country at launch. This means it covers more of the UK than Freeview, which only about 80 per cent of the UK can currently access.

More information at www.freesat.co.uk

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Free satellite TV service begins
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »
I saw this advertised today and I don't understand it.  It is anything but new.  My mother has had it for a year and it has been around for a while before we came across it.  Sky don't publicise it because they don't make a lot on it.  The website was in place last year as well.  As far as I can see the only thing that is new is that they are advertising it.

It is an incredibly good product for the money.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »
 I think this free to air satellite service was pushed through by the BBC, a couple of years back, as part of the deal for allowing their channels to be on Sky.

The analogue signal to aeriels will be switched off progressively from now on and with the aeriel based digital Freeview only reaching 70 to 80% of the country, if that, it means they need something extra to bridge the gap and they need people to know about it. The Beeb has been challenged in the past about over doing the advertising of Freeview on their own channels so they have probably had to wait for the partners in this satellite deal to be ready

This new blast of publicity means, no doubt, that Sky has just now figured out a plan, which will be revealed soon, to persuade new free to air satellite viewers to take some of their extra services, for a price naturally.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »
Part of the low Freeview figure is actually a false figure.  People like me cannot receive it now because the frequencies it works on are currently used for the existing terestrial signal.  In areas like this as soon as the terestrial signal is switched off we will get Freeview.

Offline Slugger

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
This is something new to what has been available through Sky. I had the free service from Sky years ago which gives you free channels including BBC and ITV. This new service is not through Sky it's a joint venture by the BBC and ITV and includes their HD broadcasts free of charge, something that you have to pay £10 a month extra for from Sky as well as something ridiculous like £400 for the HD receiver (last time I looked).

I will definitely be getting the new freesat service as soon as the recorders are available. At the moment I can only find receivers.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:25 AM »
According to the postcode data, my house shouldn't receive Freeview over aerial even after switchover. Still, with a massive booster aerial and booster box, we are managing to get some channels - when it's dry and not too cloudy at home or the place where the aerial signal comes from.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
Those post code things are hopeless.  I spent a couple of years working on the south coast and did a check to see if I could get Freeview.  I couldn't.  I then spoke to someone I worked with who said I could.  So I decided to risk £25 on a box and never had a problem with it despite the post code search telling me I wouldn't get any reception.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle