collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 492
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren confident of Alonso's switch  (Read 1800 times)

davewilson

McLaren confident of Alonso's switch
« on: July 17, 2006, 06:57:08 PM »
By AFP
McLaren insisted on Monday that world champion Fernando Alonso will remain committed to the contract that he signed with the team for 2007.

The Spaniard shocked Formula One at the end of last year after revealing that he would leave current employers Renault to join rivals McLaren. But paddock rumours over the course of the French Grand Prix at the weekend, where the champion finished second behind Ferrari’s Michael Schumacher, indicated that Alonso could possibly look to renege on that deal.

It was thought that Renault team chief Flavio Briatore and Alonso were looking to buy the driver out of the contract signed with McLaren after a dip in form by the struggling team. But McLaren F1 chief executive Martin Whitmarsh is adamant that the Spanish world champion will join the team next year, and denied that Briatore was looking to keep a hold of the driver.

"I don’t think we do a shabby job with contracts generally," he told motorsport website autosport.com. "I think we have got a reasonable contract and the rumour that I heard was that an Italian gentleman (Briatore) was trying to get him to consider a breach of that.

"Firstly I don’t think he wants to, and, two, I think our contracts are usually pretty solid."

Briatore himself hit back at the rumours when asked if there were any plans to attempt to keep Alonso at Renault beyond this year.

"I don’t know where this rumour is coming from," he said. "This is a kind of Halloween joke, you know. I don’t push anybody to sign and I never push anybody to break a contract."

Alonso saw his world championship lead over Schumacher dwindle further after the German seven-time champion cut the margin after victory at Magny-Cours.
Article:

http://www.asianage.com/main.asp?layout=2&cat1=8&cat2=84&newsid=236223&RF=DefaultMain

The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle