collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 237
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11291 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: heros and zeros at Canada  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Chameleon

Re: heros and zeros at Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
The video is very interesting (I must have just beaten Bernie to the punch).  For a start, it shows that there was room to Raikkonen's left and that is probably what he was aiming for, therefore.  Note too the smoke from Hamilton's front tyre before he impacts - he had those brakes on as far as they would go and they seemed hardly to slow the car at all.  So much for F1 cars stopping on a dime.

This is even better illustrated by watching Rosberg - again there seems little deceleration from quite a slow speed before he hits Hamilton's car.  I think what we're seeing is how inefficient carbon fibre brakes are if allowed to drop below optimum temperature.  And they would have cooled during the pit stops, of course.

The positioning of the light seems reasonable but I suspect strongly that it is not so easily seen from the drivers' point of view.  The number of incidents involving the Montreal lights would be explained if this is so.

I am not trying to excuse Hamilton's error - it was a mistake, even if the brakes had been less effective than he expected.  But I don't think he deserves the amount of criticism he is getting.  It was an understandable accident and one that will be repeated as long as the red light remains at the end of the pit lane.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 01:00:06 AM »
Pit lane surfaces are no suitable for race braking.  Especially the end of the pitlane which tends to have all sorts of oil, water , fuel etc on it.  Effectively it is like a green track only worse.  A bit like a bus stop on a green track where cars sit with their engines idling dropping all sorts of fluids.  It is very easy to spin under braking at the end of a pit lane.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
If Hamilton's car had smoke coming from it, then he must have locked the brake (which quite often happens when a driver panic-brakes through not seeing something in time), which means it was effectively out of his control. Locked brakes don't do much for stopping power. The point of having a speed limit in the pit lane is so that drivers can stop quickly when needed. If Lewis wasn't driving in a manner in which that was possible, then either the speed limit in the pit lane needs reducing or he wasn't driving with due care and attention.

Rosberg, despite having less space to brake in, managed to scrub a lot more speed off - the relative lack of damage to Rosberg's car and the back of Hamilton's car compared to Raikkonen's and the front of Hamilton's car indicates that Rosberg was slower at the point of impact. Red lights at the end of pit lanes risk collisions, but only if someone isn't paying attention to what's going on round them or something very unusual occurs in terms of technical failure timings.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Mitch14

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
hamilton was an idiot you could see he drove into the back of kimi

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle