collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Most Thrilling Drivers  (Read 2855 times)

Online Jericoke

Most Thrilling Drivers
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
Sports Illustrated has a list of 'most thrilling drivers'.  (They actually have a list for most sports.)  "These lists are not mere compilations of all-time bests in their respective sports but all-time bests at quickening the pulse and evoking a visceral response from those fortunate enough to have witnessed their artistry."

Since Sports Illustrated is an American magazine, it's not surprise that 7 out of 10 are NASCAR drivers.  However, there's only one Indy driver (AJ Foyt, who also drove NASCAR), and 2 F1 drivers:  Jackie Stewart at 8 and Michael Schumacher at 5.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/lars_anderson/06/25/thrill.list/index.html

For me, I never watched Jackie race.  Nor Senna.  I do agree that Schumacher could get more from an F1 car than anyone I saw him race against.  The '97 Ferrari had no business winning races!  I wish that sport was like in Jackie's days though... I love the technology, but at the same time, I want the driver to be the most important part of the car!

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Most Thrilling Drivers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 06:38:15 PM »
If you want to know Sir Jackie get a copy of "Faster- a Racer's Diary", it gives an interesting insight into the mind of a WDC. For me, Mansell, Andretti, Foyt, Mears, Gurney. Never liked Schumacher, or Senna. John Watson could be brilliant in the McLaren, and of course Clark. I wish I had seen Fangio, Nuvolari, Rosemeyer et.al.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
If you want to know Sir Jackie get a copy of "Faster- a Racer's Diary", it gives an interesting insight into the mind of a WDC. For me, Mansell, Andretti, Foyt, Mears, Gurney. Never liked Schumacher, or Senna. John Watson could be brilliant in the McLaren, and of course Clark. I wish I had seen Fangio, Nuvolari, Rosemeyer et.al.

Lonny
[/quote

I read Faster when it came out in the 70's and couldn't put it
down.Back then the only F1 story's we read were usually months
after the race was run.Rob Walker used to write race reviews for
I believe Car and Driver
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:48:06 AM »
Rob wrote for Road and Track, back when racing was a bigger part of their content. He was the ultimate insider, a team owner who ran Lotus customer cars, imagine! Though I often knew the results long before his articles appeared, he always had tidbits about mechanical problems or driver situations that you couldn't get elsewhere. Nobody gets that stuff today.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
Those were the days, Lonny. Back when R&T had Rob Walker covering F1, Bernard Cashier was "European Correspondent" and Henry Manney III wrote about almost anything. It's a good thing that we can get F1 news much faster these day, but I wish we could get it with the style and wit that those writers had back then.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »
I hated it when R & T and Autoweek made their race coverage a column instead of stories by great writers. Now they're both kind of Car & Driver clones. :(

Lonny
Lonny

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

of all the F1 drivers I have actually seen racing none approach the sheer class of the late jim CLARK or Sirs jackie STEWART or stirling MOSS

but my heart belongs to ayrton

and in touring class cars "downunder" 'gentleman' jim RICHARDS and the late peter 'perfect' BROCK were simply fabulous champion drivers and jim, now almost semi-retired, still does Targa's generally in his beloved 911 PORSCHES and drives in several circuit series.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle