collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 137
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: British GP at Donnington from 2010  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Andy B

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:49:24 AM by Andy B »

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

Re: British GP at Donnington from 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »
Oops, sorry Andy.  I didn't see your post and re-posted it in F1 Discussion.  Maybe Dare, Steven or Wiz can delete one of them for us.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
While I am sad that Silverstone loses this GP at least it stays in the country so fundamental to F1. So the uncertainty is now over.

I am also glad it goes to a track that is a part of the rich history of the sport. In 1993, the last time F1 was raced there, the late great ayrton SENNA lapped the whole field [except for damon HILL who was 80 seconds behind in 2nd place] in very wet conditions in what has been described as one of the truly greatest drives ever.

So the King is dead, long live the new one.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
 It'll never happen, it's Brands Hatch take 2 from Bernie. I attended the WSR race at Donnington last year and a crowd less than half the size of an F1 meet brought the surrounding roads and the M1 motorway to a halt for a few hours and a lot of ticket holders arrived halfway through the event. Funny how WSR went to Silverstone this year, maybe Renault wanted all their invited public to get in on time to see the show they pay a lot to stage.

They may build new stuff at the Donnington circuit in time, that's supposing the planning authority will agree it, but who is going to foot the bill for new major access roads, even if they can be built in time. It certainly wont be the government after all the money they shelled out to improve Silverstone roads a couple of years back. :nono: :nono:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Mitch14

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
maybe they will go back to silverstone after the donginton years as it is a very popular race

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »
It'll never happen

But its going to happen more news next week.
Silverstone have been warned for some time that they could loose it and now they have.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Mitch14

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »
the GPDA should have really done more to save the race

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:55:34 AM »
It'll never happen

Silverstone have been warned for some time that they could loose it and now they have.

Sure it is.... no wait I just saw a big porker with Bernie's face on it fly accross!  :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 11:30:51 AM »

It was definitely going to Brands Hatch a few years ago too.  The people who owned Brands before Jonathan Palmer signed a deal then discovered that there was no way they could ever get Brands up to GP standards so they did a deal with Silverstone to put the race on there while Brands still had the rights.  Eventually they dropped out of the loop because it was costing them money. 

I will believe Donington will happen when free practise starts on the Friday of the first race.  Until then as far as I am concerned it is just a way for Bernie to screw money out of the BRDC.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
Oh what a surprise - shock horror.

Bernie just said on ITV that Silverstone could keep the race if it could do a deal with the Donington people.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
JYS was just on ITV's Quali coverage. He says there is no way that Donington could host a GP in it's current form. Too short, not enough runoff area, not safe enough, ect. He also mentioned that Silverstone is in a far better spot to draw crowds from the London area.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 03:12:50 PM »
Bernie says the contract is signed, but I suspect that in that contract there are expectations from Donington that they simply won't be able to live up to in time...and then, like Steven suggests, it will fall back into the BRDC and Silverstone's lap.  Hopefully Bernie won't simply pull a Spa and wait until Donington is ready by removing the British GP from the '10 and '11 calendars.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
I think I'm with Scotty on this one. I really can't see it happen.

This is just old Bernie getting his kicks again by winding people up. I suppose at his age there isn't much else that gives him a thrill> :yahoo:

Like Steven, I'll believe it when I see it. Incidentally I heard Stewart's comments and have to say I agree with him.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 11:46:10 AM »
This just to hand from BBC SPORT:

"Donington Park chief executive Simon Gillett says the venue will be ready to host the British Grand Prix in 2010.

The circuit will undergo a £100m facelift to bring it up to standard and Gillett has dismissed fears that it will not be ready in time.

"There are no get-out clauses other than the fact we have to be at the suitable standard by that time," he told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"We have a plan, we have the investment ready so we will be there."

He added: "If we're not ready, in the same way that if anybody else wasn't ready, then I'm sure Bernie Ecclestone would look to do something as he cannot jeopardise the Grand Prix.

"But as there aren't any other alternatives we will be there at 2010."

Donington will replace Silverstone as the host of the British Grand Prix but the circuit will need a huge overhaul to meet F1 supremo Ecclestone's exacting standards."

please click on link below  to read more of the story or paste in ya search browser:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7491944.stm

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
Mr. Gillett was interviewed on ITV before the race.  They don't have planning permission.  He sounded less than certain about the modifications needed.  He didn't even mention how they are going to sort out the traffic problems.  Oh and they haven't raised any capital yet.  They are going to fund it with a debenture scheme which will be launched in a few weeks.

So in two years they have to raise the finance, draw up plans, get planning permission, build everything and get safety certificates.  Who is going to buy into a debenture scheme that has no chance of ever happening.

I think Bernie spotted a mug and figured he would let the guy waste his time and put pressure on Silverstone then he would let the guy buy his way out of the contract and then Bernie can do a deal with Silverstone with Gillett's cheque in his pocket.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle