collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 92
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jim France visits McLaren - why?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Jim France visits McLaren - why?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »
Why would someone who runs NASCAR visit McLaren?

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/69009

NASCAR vice chairman Jim France visited the McLaren Technology Centre on Wednesday.

In an unusual encounter between America's biggest racing series and one of the top Formula One teams, France had the chance to tour the impressive headquarters of one of the world's top companies in the motorsports industry.

"I am very impressed by what I see here today at the McLaren Technology Centre," France said. "I have seen a lot more technology than I would in the garages at Nascar and IRL level where obviously they are also dedicated racers and working with whatever materials they have.

"However, I am impressed by the level of manufacturing capability at the McLaren Technology Centre and the development and engineering that goes on at this facility"

McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh accompanied France in his tour around the facilities
where McLaren not only operates their Formula One team but also different automotive and technology-related companies.

"It has been a fantastic opportunity to discuss and compare notes on our differing areas of motorsport," Whitmarsh said about France's visit. "We share many common goals and aspirations and I know that we can learn a lot from each other"

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: Jim France visits McLaren - why?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
Probably exploring some business deal SR. Might even want a new ECU mate!  :o
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:31:08 PM »
"Yo, Martin, where do you keep the carburators?"

Besides NASCAR, the Frace family also own International Spedway Corp. (ISC). ISC owns and/or operates 13 of the major auto racing venues in the US. One of those is Watkins Glen. 

Also, the France family have strong ties to the Hulman/George family, who own the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The Brickyard 500 now competes with Daytona as NASCAR's flagship event. It is credited with validating NASCAR as more than a regional sport in the minds of the American public. Likewise, when Tony started the IRL, many of his original venues were ISC tracks.

I can't help but wonder about a friend of Tony's meeting with one of Max and Bernie's biggest rivals.

In any case, it will hopefully help lead to a return of F1 to the US.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »
So you think they are going to try and add a GP to Speed Week @ Daytona?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
The road course at Daytona is a joke. It's a small, "T" shaped offshoot of the tri-oval, with a bus stop style chicane in the back of the circuit.

He might have been there on Tony behalf, or maybe to make a pitch for The Glen.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle