collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 141
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: British GP at Donnington from 2010  (Read 6167 times)

Mitch14

Re: British GP at Donnington from 2010
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
Donington are going to have a real job getting their track done in time

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
taking all the excellent postings on this thread methinks something is quite rotten in the State of Donington!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Mitch14

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 06:43:44 PM »
bernie has said that if donington is not ready in time then there will be no british race

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
This is just Bernies way of getting rid of the British Grand Prix, Donnington has a heck of a lot of work to do and Bernie is betting that it won't be done in time.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Mitch14

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
it seems like bernie isn't confident about the races he puts on

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
Basically, we have a very ambitious venture capital company that may have overestimated its capabilities.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Like I said earlier in the thread it's Brands Hatch take 2  :crazy:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »

I'm calling it another Bernie Bluff.

I can't realistically see the British GP going anywhere but Silverstone.

Would somebody please explain to me what it is that Bernie really wants. Or can't he even answer that one himself.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »

I'm calling it another Bernie Bluff.

I can't realistically see the British GP going anywhere but Silverstone.

Would somebody please explain to me what it is that Bernie really wants. Or can't he even answer that one himself.

easy to answer JB - another boring herman TILKE $200 Millions plus, designed track in some hellish country that has money to burn 'coz they don't give a fig for their downtrodden subjects and would rather cough up plenty of dosh to Bernie, thinking this somehow makes them a power and a country worthy of recognition.

And of course the 'stunted one' gets a cut of the cost of the new facility plus much increased fees for bringing the 'circus' to a grateful regime.

follow the money..ooops....shekels mate and to hell with the glorious legacy, spirit and history of F1:

"I vant money, that is vhat I vant!"   
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
johnbull, Bernie wants money. Simple. He doesn't care about the rest.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »
Bernie has spotted a mug who thinks he can put a race on at a circuit that can't hand the crowd at a World Series by Renault race.  The mug has signed a contract that he will no doubt have to pay Bernie a few million to get out of and at the same time Bernie's mate Tilke gets to pick up a few quid and Bernie gets to apply pressure to the BRDC.

Offline Wizzo

Re: British GP at Donington from 2010
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »
I love Silverstone and consider it to be the home of the British GP, however, Bernie has fired enough warning shots across their bow for them to do something about the circuit and yet it remains the same.

If Donington has backing of £100m over the next 5 years then we really could see a circuit to rival the likes of Bahrain etc, and personally I would welcome that. It will be interesting to see Donnington's 'Master Plan' as I for one would love to know exactly what they're proposing.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
They've still got to get it past the council, and that will be almost as difficult for Donington as it was for Silverstone.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
I love Silverstone and consider it to be the home of the British GP, however, Bernie has fired enough warning shots across their bow for them to do something about the circuit and yet it remains the same.

I agree that Silverstone is the real home of the British GP but I can't really agree that it 'remains the same'. They spent millions on the access roads, car parks, run-off areas. It is a vastly improved track. Although I don't actually like Silverstone it offers better facilities than any other track in the UK and in all honesty it is much better than many of the European tracks that still hold GP's.
Although Donnington is a great track for the moto GP, I can easily believe that it will require £100million to bring it up to F1 standards and in doing this it may ruin the track for the bikes. This brings into question how Donnington will make money in the future. It's biggest income at the moment comes from Moto GP, BSB and BTTC. If in trying to win the F1 GP it loses the moto GP it will be financially no better off. How will it ever pay-off the £100million debt. As a business Donnington will be so heavily geared I can't see how it could survive.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
Good points Monty, the access roads have been greatly improved from years gone by. I still have nightmares from thousands of cars driving through small villages trying to get in and out after a race.  :(

Has the parking improved? I was one of the poor spectators who (nearly) got suck in the mud a few years back. Silverstone invited me as a guest last year (sadly not for the GP) and whilst I got the grand tour I didn't see any improvements in parking, just the usual fields roped off with string. Having said that, I have never been to a circuit with anything substantially better.

I totally agree that it remains one of best circuits in the UK for facilities, but I also believe it is not good enough to represent the 'Home of Motorsport' when the F1 circus comes to town. Things have moved on and I desperately wish they would improve things and keep F1 at Silverstone, but alas I think this ship may have sailed in Bernie's eyes. Many European circuits may suffer the same fate if they do not invest wisely and keep up with the eastern countries.

The important thing is we keep a British GP, (imagine the national anthem playing in the background), and I for one will support it no matter where it is held. We should be proud of our motorsport heritage and set an example for the rest of the world to follow.

Please raise your glasses - Gentlemen, The Queen!

:D
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle