collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Donnington it is...  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Scott

Donnington it is...
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
From F1 Live:

The future of the British Grand Prix has today been secured in a new ten year agreement between Donington Ventures Leisure Limited and Formula One Management Limited.

The 2010 British Grand Prix at Donington Park will see the pinnacle of motor racing return to the iconic East Midlands circuit after a 17-year absence when it last hosted the Grand Prix of Europe in 1993.

Circuit owners and joint CEO’s, Simon Gillett and Lee Gill made the following statement:
“We are naturally delighted and extremely proud to have acquired the rights to bring Formula One back to Donington Park from 2010. At the beginning of last year when we acquired the circuit and its substantial lands, we made clear our commitment towards realising the full potential of the Park by making the necessary investments in current and future events that will see Donington revitalised ensuring its leading position as one of the most iconic racing circuits in the world. To that end, we have now entered a new and exciting chapter in the development of the Park and one that will bring significant investment and regional development while securing the future of one of the most important and significant sporting events in Britain. 

"Donington Ventures Leisure Limited has worked closely with the local and national authorities in consideration of the planning requirements that are necessary to provide a first class facility for the hosting of F1 in 2010. The details of this and the Donington Park master plan that outlines a 5 year investment programme of some £100m, will be provided at a future date.

"The investment will be led by a private investor who is also a large shareholder.

"Today’s signing of the contract with Formula One Management Limited brings to an end a period of commercial negotiations, none of which would have been possible without the support of Mr Ecclestone and FOM. However, Donington Ventures are still engaged in negotiations with other important third parties that should be concluded in a matter of days."

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Mitch14

Re: Donnington it is...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
im not sure if i agree with the race being at donington as i have always liked silverstone but it might be good so we will just have to wait and see

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:02 PM »
Donnington......cool!!
I drove that track once. Oh yeh, that's right, it was only in an F1 simulator.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »
I ranted on about the idea just being 'Bernie Hype' because I was sure nobody in the UK could raise the necessary funds to bring a UK circuit (other than Silverstone) up to the level required by Bernie and his cronies. Then came the announcement. The problem is...I still don't think anyone can raise the necessary funds! I have this horrible image of Bernie being interviewed in 2010 saying 'there isn't going to be a British GP, I gave Silverstone and Donnington a fair chance but they failed, blah, blah, blah'
Hope I'm wrong!

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
I ranted on about the idea just being 'Bernie Hype' because I was sure nobody in the UK could raise the necessary funds to bring a UK circuit (other than Silverstone) up to the level required by Bernie and his cronies. Then came the announcement. The problem is...I still don't think anyone can raise the necessary funds! I have this horrible image of Bernie being interviewed in 2010 saying 'there isn't going to be a British GP, I gave Silverstone and Donnington a fair chance but they failed, blah, blah, blah'
Hope I'm wrong!

I hope so too Monty but I have an uncomfortable feeling Bernie will have a contingency Plan B to do just that. I also think the funding for the 100 million pound [?]  upgrading looks very sketchy even dodgy.

However, how can Great Britain be stripped of its only GP when so many F1 teams are based there and so many F1 components [and work] are designed and made in this country?  It beggars belief especially when the very first World Championship Grand Prix was held at Silverstone on 13 May 1950, so it is very poignant Silverstone misses out to Donington.

I think a good case exists for Britain to have at least two GP's a year!

[to the end of the 2002 season Briton's have driven in all but four GPs! How's that for a bit of trivia? ]

Incidently the 1950 GP was won by the great giuseppe FARINA who went on to claim the inaugaral WDC in his works supercharged ALFA ROMEO 158 S8 sc over fellow team mate the legendary juan manuel FANGIO. This car won all of the six European races in the series. The seventh was the Indy 500 which was included until 1960 but few of the Europeans ever bothered to race in it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:08:43 AM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:33:14 AM »
I still think the 2010 British GP will be held at Silverstone. ;)
And the one after that, for that matter.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Mitch14

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »
no i think there going to donington in 2010 for 10 years i heard

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:29:01 AM »
Assuming the venue is ready...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle