collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 352
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: British GP heros and zeros  (Read 4062 times)

Mitch14

Re: British GP heros and zeros
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 06:47:47 PM »
ross brawn seems to be the right person to take the job at BAR as he has proved he can get BAR podiums from the expierance with Schumacher and ferrari and all the stratigies choices he made

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:37 PM »
ross brawn seems to be the right person to take the job at BAR as he has proved he can get BAR podiums from the expierance with Schumacher and ferrari and all the stratigies choices he made

Honda hasn't been BAR for years
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Mitch14

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
shut up dare  :DntKnw: you know what i mean

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
Sometimes I think of Honda as Tyrrell, even if Ken wouldn't recognise the team in its current state...

Heroes

Heidfeld - Excellent run to 2nd, stylish double-passing moves and made the tyres work in conditions where only Kubica and Hamilton could match his pace. (In case you're wondering, Heidfeld is ahead of Hamilton in my estimation because he didn't go off-track at any point).
Hamilton - You can't argue with a victory margin of over a minute, especially when it was done despite McLaren giving Lewis a sub-optimal strategy. Even so, he did go off-track at least once and possibly twice.
Barrichello - Stylish run to third, despite the Intertechnique fuel rig's best efforts to thwart his progress. Good to see him so delighted with his deserved podium.

Zeroes

Massa - The last time anyone spun five times in the same race was... ...Massa in the... ...British Grand Prix of 2002. Something about Felipe and Silverstone just doesn't click for some reason (to his credit, last time round he did all that spinning in the dry...)
Webber - ruined front-row start with major spin on lap 1 and two more spins later on.
Kubica - good running for the first part of the race tarnished by three off-track moments in the space of six laps, cumulating in retirement.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Mitch14

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
webber does seem to throw away his starts like malaysia 04 where he went from 2nd to 18th

Offline johnbull

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:57 PM »
Heroes - the top 3. Lewis was brilliant throughout. Nick showed his worth, and Rubens took advantage of a gamble and didn't waste the opportunity.

Zeroes - Definately Massa beats them all on that one. Coulthard I'm afraid, and then I suppose FERRARI. I was watching with my brother in law - both been F1 nuts for ..... too many years. When LH and KR were on their way in for their first stops, we both agreed - a new set of intermediates for both.

What on earth posessed Ferrari, but even worse why did they keep him out there so long losing over 5 seconds a lap.

I have to say I admired Kimi's alegiance with the team. He didn't tell them where to go during the press conference as I expected him to do, but he actually tried to cover it up. He's certainly learnt a bit about being a team player. Can somebody please send Nando on a similar crash course. ;)
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »
I would like to add another hero.  Alianora LaCanta who has developed a quite incredible spreadsheet which forecast the front row at Silverstone would be Kovalainen-Webber.  I have no idea how she does it and I don't know anyone else who got close to being right.

Well done Ali.

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
I had Kovy for pole, not webber on the front row too tho'
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
Steven, my predicative capacities would have been more impressive if I'd adjusted my Grid Game predictions accordingly...

The spreadsheet (which lives in Sidepodcast.com's drop.io section) is called a "Practise-Qualifying-Race Comparitor"*. I throw in each practise, qualifying and race result in a separate sheet and sort them by driver name, leaving gaps for the Super Aguri duo in those races where they haven't competed. There's another sheet called "Quali", where I do the calculations to allow the "Conclusions" spreadsheet to work properly.

The "Conclusions" spreadsheets has several jobs. The bit that Steven's talking about is in the bottom-left hand corner. Firstly, the spreadsheet calculates the difference between each driver's average practise result and qualifying result (giving a separate number for each session). A minus means that the practise session result is, on average, worse than the qualifying position, whereas a positive means that the practise session is, on average, better than the qualifying position.

It is then necessary to do a bit of manual calculation. First, I look at which of the sessions gives the most accurate results (this is the number nearest to 0 for a particular driver). Then I check what position the driver had for that session. After that, it's a calculation of the position obtained plus the adjustment that's taken so long to calculate. The result is meaningful only in comparison to the other drivers' results. The lowest number is the pole-sitter and the highest starts last (in theory - apart from Kovalainen and Webber I only got two exactly right: Massa and Nakajima).

* - I suspect "comparitor" may not feature in the dictionary.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Steven, my predicative capacities would have been more impressive if I'd adjusted my Grid Game predictions accordingly........................The "Conclusions" spreadsheets has several jobs...........[snip]..........................* - I suspect "comparitor" may not feature in the dictionary.

b brilliant ALC! -  and the comparitor deserves to be a real word but may I suggest you copyright/patent it and your app before it and you become so famous it will become a recognised word and a useful application!

well done ALC.

[Now to actually use the thing to understand it - I am a bit lost with spreadsheets. Duh. Lol!]
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Mitch14

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »
well done ali i didn't now that was your prediction you must have psyhic powers

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
Mitch, I can assure you that I'm not psychic (a brief look at my Grid Game performance this year will convince doubters) and that I simply have a piece of complicated software that helps in a mechanistic way.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle