collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Speed cameras catch one driver - yes one!  (Read 977 times)

Offline Wizzo

Speed cameras catch one driver - yes one!
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:13 PM »
Local authorities set up the Specs average speed cameras, which are becoming an increasingly common sight on British roads, two months ago but have since only snared one driver.

32 cameras are understood to have been set up to monitor traffic in both directions of the A2, between Bangor and Holywood.

The only other place that the ‘Speed Safety Enforcement Camera System’ has been set up in Northern Ireland is on the A1 outside Newry.

Over the two years the cameras have been operating in that location 77 drivers have been caught for speeding.

What a waste of money!

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Speed cameras catch one driver - yes one!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »
Evidently the new camera does work. If only one person has been caught, then everyone else has been driving at a sensible speed - and even better, hardly anyone is paying extra for the priviledge once the set-up costs are paid. It's a lot cheaper than monitoring the speed limit with a policeman, that's for certain!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »
Most lkely what happened over here. Everybody slowed down past the cameras, then floored it to make up for the lost time. Much better than a traffic cop, because you always know exactly where they are.

At least until some good citizen shot the cameras.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
I remember Pat Bedard writing in a column years ago that the last picture one of those cameras will take will be a masked man pointing a shotgun at it.   >:D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:06:21 PM »
I have noticed that ever since the cost of fuel shot up so drastically everyone, well most, are driving slower than a year ago.

On a recent trip on the M1 and M6 I was averaging 70 to 75 mph and almost no one went past me, or if they did it was only 3 or 4 mph more.

Then again the next weekend I went from london on the M11 and A11 to Norfolk and on the A11 which is dual carraigeway I was averaging 65 to 68 and very few went past although the road was busy.

For most of us now with the cost of fuel and the impending hike in roadtax charges means that an extra charge for a speeding fine might well price us off the road.

Looks like the only up side to the oil crisis is speed cameras might become redundant as no income from fines means they may switch them off.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle