collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 519
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: JB  (Read 4397 times)

Offline johnbull

Re: JB
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:50 PM »
Off to Sicily again Thursday, managing the Malta team. Nine cars going this time, including 5 single seaters.

I've just been on the phone with the organiser who tells me they have a pretty decent entry, including the Italian Hill Climb champ, who 2 of our lads, Zach and Josh beat a couple of months ago.

Here's Josh at a recent hill climb here in Malta.

Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 11:36:09 PM »
I know I have seen pics before but that soes look like a very neat car.  Is that roll hoop legal/safe?  From this angle it looks very low but it may be the camera angle.  I wouldn't want the poor boy to get squished.

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 08:31:07 AM »
I was going to say Josh looks pretty tall.  Can't you get him down into the car a bit more?  Those rock walls look nasty - what's on the other side?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
The roll bar is strong enough - it's passed plenty of scrutineers - and the back (diagonal) stays give the whole car lots of rigidity. I agree it's a bit on the low side. It just passes the regulation 2 inches from the top of his helmet ........ if he crouches a bit ;)

Scotty ........ yes you guessed, there is a low wall on the other side with a drop but we also put a tyre barrier there. That's one thing about the Italian Hill Climbs, they are much safer - proper double barrier everywhere.

The car has been absolutely brilliant. With it's rear spool and high ratio rack it handles just like a go kart. It weights 450 kilos with driver - Josh accounts for over 90 of those :o and with over 200 bhp from that Kawasaki 1400 it's pretty quick.

It's up for sale at the moment and there are a couple of Sicilians interested. We've just bought a 2003 Formula BMW less engine and gearbox, and will be putting another Kawasaki 1400 in it for next season. The new car will be alot safer and hopefully also quicker.

Interestingly we bought it off ex F1 racer Emilio De Vilota of Spain. Both his son - Emilio junior, and his daughter have raced Formula BMW for 2 seasons and now I understand young Emilio is graduating to F3, thus the 3 identical cars being put up for sale. It should be here next week - something else to get my teeth into. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
A good looking car, JB! :good: Best of luck in Sicily.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »
A formula BMW with Kawasaki engine.  That sounds like a good combination.  Have fun with it.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
A formula BMW with Kawasaki engine.  That sounds like a good combination.  Have fun with it.
Ye, the BMW engine gives about 150 bhp, weighs a ton, and it's gearbox / diff unit weighs another ton. The Kawasaki 1400 unit with gearbox weighs 90 kilos and develops 60 more brake. A Quaife LSD weighs some 15kg maximum.

It's a no brainer.

Incidentally the Formula BMW rolling chassis are made by Tatuus in Italy, where we have a couple of good contacts for sourcing parts - wings, wishbones, you know, the things that get broken easily. :D

There are a couple of guys around here that would be better buying front wings by the dozen !

If you want to sede pics of Malta's hill climb cars go to www.islandcarclub.com click on gallery, photos, then choose a photographer. David Axisa and Pen of Life have some good ones, with Pen of Life's being the most recent.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:58:11 PM by johnbull »
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 02:34:20 AM »
The first thought that strikes withh those figures is that if you take all that weight off the back is it not going to understeer like a pig?  Still I suppose the Kawasaki's centre of gravity will be further back to counteract it a bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle