collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 574
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Once again, Jackie Stewart is the only one with big enough....  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Once again, Jackie Stewart is the only one with big enough....
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »
The stewards actually gave Massa a penalty they never intended to and probably haven't realised yet.  After the incident McLaren got on to Lewis and told him to keep the gap below 10 seconds because like me they thought that would be the stewards intended penalty.  I know its not in the rules but it seemed like the kind of thing they would do.  Ferrari clearly told Massa to try and build a gap.

However Hamilton's engine was on its second race whereas Massa's was on its first.  Given how unreliable Ferrari's engines have been recently the last thing Felipe needed was 20 more hard laps on an engine that has to spend a weekend climibing that hill at Spa.  If his engine goes with a few laps to go in Belgium the drive through that he should have had is going to look very appealing and McLaren can thank the stewards for breaking the rules and breaking Massa's engine.  This would almost certainly result in Kimi passing or at least substantially closing the gap on Massa in the championship delaying the date that Ferrari can put all their championship eggs in one basket.

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »
Ali really knows her stuff and she explains things brilliantly. There is a more practical issue as an ex-driver (where is John Bull to support me on this) Sutil would have the 'blinkers on' finger on the pit lane speed limiter, possibly riding the brakes to keep heat in them, looking at the pit exit light, he would have no reason to expect a car to be released next to him (because that is against the rules) and he would have no chance and no reason to back-off to allow another car in front of him. Ferrari should not have released Massa, but once they did it should have been obvious to Massa that Sutil was clearly in front of him so he should have simply fallen in behind him (not try to race him along what was left of the pit lane). However, the only thing that I hold against Massa (even though I'm sure he was doing what he was told) was to tell the press that it was Sutil's fault and suggest that somehow Sutil should have got out of his way!
Nobody can defend this. The pit lane width has nothing to do with it. The rule is that you only release your driver after anyone in the 'fast lane' has safely past. Therefore, there should have been no reason for the stewards to need to discuss it:- unsafe release - drive through penalty!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 12:48:40 PM »
Ali, if you are right, then I would guess that McLaren have a case to appeal the stewards desicion {ScottyD - 3 posts ago}

They would, but unfortunately the FIA doesn't recognise that. The "cool fuel" case set the precedent that only those involved in an incident can appeal it (so in this case only Force India can appeal). Also, it must be done within one hour of the race result. Which is convenient, since the steward's decision came out more than one hour after the race ended. So no appeal was possible for anyone except the FIA itself (precedent: Renault mass damper).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
I just watched the "official" race video on the F1 web site. I wondered if the Massa/Sutil incident would make it in. It's in there.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 02:31:58 AM »
yeah it does look like FERRARI gets more preferential treatment and thereby confirming what many have already thought about FIA being an acronym for 'Ferrari Infernal/Internal Agents".

i know we have to have rules but let's try and keep the racing on the b track.

FM kicked butt all weekend and even made the WDC kimi, his team mate, look very ordinary indeed. He clearly won the race and as John S points out had Valencia's pit lane been 'normal' and wider the incident may not have been unsafe at all.

in fact i am sure a case could be made for fining the race organisers for putting drivers at risk by not having a 'proper' pitlane!

i dread to think F1 becoming like the America's yachting cup where more races are won in the 'courtroom' than in racing competition.

i look forward to LH and FM - even KR - fighting for the WDC and i hope, perhaps forlornly, the winner will be determined on the track and not by some pin-pricking technical legality.

and at this stage i do hope FM is the next WDC - won by his exploits on the b track and not by smart-a***d lawyers!

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle