collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 579
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Raikkonen Tops at Spa  (Read 1145 times)

TheStig

Raikkonen Tops at Spa
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »
Only one current Formula One driver knows what it's like to capture victory in the Grand Prix of Belgium at Spa-Francorchamps.

Kimi Raikkonen has dominated the track in the series' last three races and is hoping to maintain his stature there by capturing his fourth straight win.

"The Belgian Grand Prix is one of the highlights of the season and I usually obtain a good result at Spa," Raikkonen said. "I've only good memories of this race. Obviously it would be fantastic to win it for the fourth time in a row: considering that I haven't won a race in several months, a success would help me to get back in the race for the title after the disappointment at Valencia."

The reigning champion is currently 13 points behind points leader Lewis Hamilton. He suffered a blown engine at Valencia and finished 18th - outside the points for the third time this season.

His last win this season came at the end of April in the Grand Prix of Spain. Raikkonen has only won two races this year and is hoping his past success at Belgium will help him this weekend.

Raikkonen won his second career Formula One victory at the Grand Prix of Belgium in 2004 while driving for McLaren. In that race he came from the 10th starting position on the grid in an exciting fight to the finish. He beat out Michael Schumacher, the previous king at Spa, and his Raikkonen's reign began.

The next year, Raikkonen wheeled his McLaren to victory in Belgium again, from the second spot on the grid.

The circuit was off the schedule in 2006, but when returned in 2007, Raikkonen once again dominated the race, this time winning it from the pole position and behind the wheel of a Ferrari.

As the most successful current driver at the Spa-Francorchamps, Raikkonen has figured out the best way of getting around the 4.352-mile track.

"At this circuit a good aero package is very important to face the numerous fast corners," he said. "The lap is very long and to have a good time you have to keep the right rhythm.

"Whatever the outcome will be, it's nice to race at Spa. It's a very special feeling when you're driving on this track."

Spa-Francorchamps is one of the oldest circuits left on the Formula One schedule. The track hosted its first Grand Prix in 1925 on a track that was over nine miles. The track has been a mainstay on the world championship calendar since it began in 1950 and is a favorite among drivers.

"Like most of the drivers, I think this is the best circuit on the current calendar and I love the track," Raikkonen's teammate Felipe Massa said. "It's always nice to be at Spa and I have good memories of last year, when we had a competitive car and the team got a one-two finish."

Massa sits second in points with six races remaining. He made his first start at the Belgian Grand Prix in 2002 with Sauber Petronas and has his own strategy with the track.

"Spa is not a circuit where you can do so many laps in practice, because it's such a long track and apart from the time restriction of the length of the practice sessions, you also have to think about the mileage on the engine, at least after Friday," Massa said. "This also means you have to plan your work on the track very efficiently and make any changes to the set-up very quickly, so as not to waste too much time in the pits. The track length also complicates race strategy as a fuel difference of one lap could end up costing you a lot of time, which means that strategy is even more important than usual.

"On top of that, because driving the track is in itself so challenging, you really need a good car to be competitive; one that gives you plenty of downforce for the changes of direction and the many quick corners. The car really needs to be very well balanced."

The Formula One drivers will have their chance to keep Raikkonen off the victory podium Sunday, beginning with practice at 4 a.m. (ET) Friday morning.

The second practice begins that day at 8 a.m. with a final practice scheduled for 5 a.m. (ET) Saturday morning.

Qualifying is set for 8 a.m. (ET) Saturday with the Grand Prix of Belgium taking the green flag at 8 a.m. (ET) Sunday.

http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=44781

Massa loves this track..............

TheStig

Offline Scott

Re: Raikkonen Tops at Spa
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
Not as much as Kimi...
 :yahoo:

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle