collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 526
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Coulthard beaten at Silverstone  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Wizzo

Coulthard beaten at Silverstone
« on: August 02, 2006, 11:32:50 AM »

Plane wins battle of wings v wheels

F1 driver David Coulthard and British Superbike rider Jonathan Rea were beaten at Silverstone by Red Bull Air Race pilot Steve Jones on Sunday. Pilot, driver and rider raced one full lap of Silverstone’s Grand Prix Circuit simultaneously in a battle of speed, mental agility and vehicle manoeuvrability. As the chequered flag fell, Jones was noticeably clear of his motoring competitors despite their experience on the circuit.

As he prepares to take to the skies for the UK Red Bull Air Race at Longleat on 2 September, Jones challenged Red Bull’s motorsport heroes to a duel. Determined to prove that air racing is indeed the ‘Formula One of the skies’, Jones raced Coulthard and Rea around Silverstone in an attempt to prove that his plane is as quick and nimble as DC’s F1 car and Rea’s 1,000cc bike.

British pilot Jones won the race with a time of 1.04 minutes, Coulthard was second with a time of 1.31 minutes and Red Bull Honda Superbike rider Jonathan Rea coming in third with a time of 1.57 minutes.

Jones said: “I didn’t expect to win it and was worried initially about the tight corners, especially when pulling about 10 G’s around Stowe corner. It was amazing to see the bike and car down below on the track, and to hear the F1 car when it accelerated. Races like today are why I love being involved with the Red Bull Air Race World Series and I cant wait until the next unusual challenge.”

Coulthard said: “I wasn’t surprised with the result to be honest, given that we know planes can fly faster than cars. I was very interested to see how the bike handles the corners from such close range especially as at times we were only a couple of metres apart. I was also surprised at how well the plane handled some of the tight turns. It was a great challenge but no one likes coming in second place. I’d like to see a replay of the race to see just how tight to the corners Steve flew!”

Rea said: “That was great fun, if a little scarey at times. I was doing well keeping in front of David, but down the straight his superior acceleration pulled him past just before braking into the corner. I have to say I’m looking forward to racing just with bikes again and not having to overtake vehicles two metres in width. Good luck to Steve at Longleat, fingers crossed he can win on home turf.”

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle