collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 147
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Canada dropped and the engine freeze thaws  (Read 4852 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Canada dropped and the engine freeze thaws
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:16 PM »
Henceforth, I will refer to the 2008 homologation as the "engine sorbet".

Is that a Lemon flavour by any chance? ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
Maybe ;)

But whatever flavour it is, it stinks something rotten  :sick:
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 01:30:28 AM »
Great to see you posting Mr Warmwater even if it is on such a depressing subject.  I refuse point blank to let these self-important, self-serving ******* drive me away from my sport.  One day soon they will not be in charge and I only hope that whoever takes over has more interest in the sport and less interest in themselves than this disreputable pair.

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »
Bernie was quoted as saying "It's a technical problem with the contract".

In Bernie-speak, I guess that means that "technically, there wasn't enough money in it for me!"  I just love the way Bernie seems to be able to sue everyone who tries to renegotiate or break a contract with him, but he can on the other hand crumple them up himself like it was piece of paper jammed in a photocopier (sorry Rom  :D).

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »
Steven Roy:
Thanks for the insight about refusing to allow the Gold Mine Operators to drive you away from the sport, your remark has swayed me enough to re-evaluate my attitude.
New leadership is needed. What is Jackie Stewart & Sterling Moss doing these days?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 05:39:51 AM »
Hang in there, Luke Warmwater. I've been an F1 fan since the 60's, through good times and bad. We just all hope that the sport can survive this and return to its former glory.

Good to have you here.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 02:56:15 PM »
The latest from Bernie.  He thinks one Formula 1 race is as important as the Olympics!  C'mon Bernie, what planet do you really come from?  And why can't NA promoters try to make a profit after all?  Oh, I know, if it's profitable for someone else, then Bernie's obviously not charging enough.

From F1 Live:
"America works in a different way," the F1 Chief Executive is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Certain world events, like Formula One in some countries or the Olympic Games, are financed by the state.

"In America they are organised by private entities, who want to make a profit even before the race has been held. It's a bit too much."

The 77-year-old's stance is not popular among the car manufacturers on the grid, for whom the North American market is key.

"We are hugely disappointed," said Honda's Nick Fry. "It will be a major topic at the next meeting of teams."

Toyota President John Howett said: "Hopefully in the next four years we can establish a real race in the US."

BMW's Mario Theissen stressed the need for the "Canadian race and at least one US one."

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
And here is the latest from the Canadian Trade Minister.  I expect he might be speaking 'off the cuff', since the Gov't just handed over $25b to rescue some mortgage brokers, I doubt the taxpayers will be too thrilled to find out they are also rescuing an F1 promoter.

From F1 Live:

Local and federal levels of government have vowed to step in and help rescue the axed Canadian Grand Prix.

Canada's federal minister of international trade Michael Fortier, who spoke with F1's Bernie Ecclestone by phone, met with Quebec's economic development minister and Montreal mayor Gerald Tremblay on Thursday.

"The Grand Prix is an event that we cannot afford to lose, and that we will not lose," Fortier is quoted as saying by the Globe and Mail.

A meeting with Ecclestone, to take place in about ten days, is reported to be the next step.

Fortier and Tremblay both confirmed that a multi-million dollar debt to Formula One Management is at the heart of the dispute.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle