collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 508
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda & BMW against Standard engines but favour standard parts.  (Read 4157 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Honda & BMW against Standard engines but favour standard parts.
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »
This report from Autosport signals Max & Bernie will have trouble getting single make standard engines on the rule book. Several manufacturers will walk if identical power plants are imposed on F1. The alternative seems to be standard parts like brake ducts, gearboxes etc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71236
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:22:47 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Honda & BMW against Standard engines but favour standard parts.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:04:00 PM »
I heard that Honda want everyone else to copy their square pistons.   :D

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 06:40:29 PM »
Honda did experiment with square pistons a few years ago, apparently to improve the valve layout. Do they actually still use them?????????

Anyway, using identical engines removes one of the most important aspects of F1, fans like to root for their favorite manufacturer as much as for their favorite driver. Other series that do have identical cars are great for showing pure driver and pit skills, but F1 is also about competition between different equipment, which adds another dimension.
In fact I would prefer if the rules were loosened up and teams could use more imagination, not less.

From what I understand, having identical engines is intended to save money for the teams. How would any money would be saved by introducing a totally new engine to all the teams?

If saving money was really an issue, a very simple way would be to limit the amount of money each team is allowed to spend each year. A dedicated team of auditors could police the spending, issuing penalties for any perceived infractions just like the stewards do now.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
The best way to stop wasting money is to have the FIA stop making all these ridiculous regulation changes every year.  Take the two race engine rules.  That was supposed to save money, right?  Well guess again - the teams probably spent 5 times the money by developing an engine that would barely last two races and practice, than it would have cost them to have 2 engines per car per race (Q engine and race engines).  Same thing with the gearboxes.  It was probably a typical week at the factory to punch out 4-5 engines per week, but the stress only started when they had to have 2-race engines still belting out 19k+.  Same thing with the aero.  Every time they announce a 5cm regulation change, the teams spend weeks and months in the wind-tunnel and doing fluid dynamic computer work to get the most out of that little change. 

Spin back the clock 15 years or so, allow broad interpretations of the rules and leave them to improvise and innovate to show us all that F1 really is the pinnacle of motorsports. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »
We practically had a standard engine formula before Max and Bernie decided to go and recruit the suppliers.  Anyone who wanted could buy the Cosworth DFV and a Hewland gearbox and stick it on their car.  I liked the racing like that.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »
So did I. :yahoo:

I don't even like forcing on configuration of engine on the teams. If Ferrari wants to build a V12, Cosworth a V8, someone else a V10, let 'em!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
Look at IndyCar,Same engines,chasis,and tires.

Still the teams with the most money win
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »
 :DntKnw:
How about this.....

Since the supply and price of petroleum products is so much in question these days, maybe a different fuel should be standardized and engine design de-regulated somewhat.

Ethanol, diesel, compressed natural gas, or (my favorite) hydrogen spring to mind.
This would really improve technology in an important area and give manufacturers some impetus to work on something meaningful.

It might even give the FIA a feather in their cap for once, how they got hung up on KERS is a mystery to me......
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle