F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Honda & BMW against Standard engines but favour standard parts.

(1/2) > >>

John S:
This report from Autosport signals Max & Bernie will have trouble getting single make standard engines on the rule book. Several manufacturers will walk if identical power plants are imposed on F1. The alternative seems to be standard parts like brake ducts, gearboxes etc.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71236

Steven Roy:
I heard that Honda want everyone else to copy their square pistons.   :D

Warmwater:
Honda did experiment with square pistons a few years ago, apparently to improve the valve layout. Do they actually still use them?????????

Anyway, using identical engines removes one of the most important aspects of F1, fans like to root for their favorite manufacturer as much as for their favorite driver. Other series that do have identical cars are great for showing pure driver and pit skills, but F1 is also about competition between different equipment, which adds another dimension.
In fact I would prefer if the rules were loosened up and teams could use more imagination, not less.

From what I understand, having identical engines is intended to save money for the teams. How would any money would be saved by introducing a totally new engine to all the teams?

If saving money was really an issue, a very simple way would be to limit the amount of money each team is allowed to spend each year. A dedicated team of auditors could police the spending, issuing penalties for any perceived infractions just like the stewards do now.

Scott:
The best way to stop wasting money is to have the FIA stop making all these ridiculous regulation changes every year.  Take the two race engine rules.  That was supposed to save money, right?  Well guess again - the teams probably spent 5 times the money by developing an engine that would barely last two races and practice, than it would have cost them to have 2 engines per car per race (Q engine and race engines).  Same thing with the gearboxes.  It was probably a typical week at the factory to punch out 4-5 engines per week, but the stress only started when they had to have 2-race engines still belting out 19k+.  Same thing with the aero.  Every time they announce a 5cm regulation change, the teams spend weeks and months in the wind-tunnel and doing fluid dynamic computer work to get the most out of that little change. 

Spin back the clock 15 years or so, allow broad interpretations of the rules and leave them to improvise and innovate to show us all that F1 really is the pinnacle of motorsports. 

Steven Roy:
We practically had a standard engine formula before Max and Bernie decided to go and recruit the suppliers.  Anyone who wanted could buy the Cosworth DFV and a Hewland gearbox and stick it on their car.  I liked the racing like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version