collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 469
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren fear over Lewis car  (Read 6494 times)

TheStig

McLaren fear over Lewis car
« on: October 21, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »
Lewis Hamilton may yet be robbed of a maiden Formula One world title by a mechanical failure.

With only the Brazil Grand Prix to come on Sunday week, Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren's chief executive, today admitted: "Our engines have generally been very reliable but you always worry because one slip and you can let a championship disappear."

Hamilton's team-mate, Heikki Kovalainen, suffered a blown engine in Japan two races ago and he was forced to retire from last weekend's Chinese Grand Prix with a hydraulic problem.

Adding to McLaren's concern is the F1 rule that engines must last for two races. Hamilton had a new engine in China, where he won in commanding fashion, and now he must use that same engine at Interlagos knowing it has already been subject to stress and strain.

By contrast, title rival Felipe Massa will have a fresh engine in his Ferrari and that could make him slightly more competitive.

Whitmarsh said: "It is very easy not to finish a Grand Prix. Things can go wrong. In terms of reliability issues there is, clearly, pressure."

TheStig

Sorry to hear the news of Big Dave....!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23575596-details/article.do?ito=newsnow&

Offline romephius

Re: McLaren fear over Lewis car
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »
Stig, I don't know how you keep finding pieces like this, but, it's great reading.  I hope Lewis's engine blows in Q1.

My theory is he can win the world championship when he acts like a champion.  Not that I can say Massa has any better claim, but Lewis and fathers ego's would be too much to handle if he wins (not that I really have any doubts that Lewis will win it).

Just my thoughts

Rom

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
Nice to know the chief exec has total faith in the firms products, Lewis must feel so much better for the added pressure. :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
Somebody has got it wrong.

According to Italian TV Hamilton can change his engine without incurring penalty as he has not used his "JOLLY" this season. In fact the Italian comentator said that both Maccas will be starting the Brazilian GP with fresh engines.

I never quite understood this "Jolly" rule whereby each driver is allowed to replace one engine without penalty. I know Kimi used his, and so have quite a few others.

Does anybody know any more ?
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
I could be wrong on this, but I thought that teams couldn't use the "free" (Jolly or Joker) engine swap on the last race of the season. I recall some of us in the Grid Game joking about doing the same thing with the Double Up.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:13:42 PM »
As I understand the rule the joker engine cannot be used for the last race of the season.  I thought it was odd they did not use the joker in Japan.  That way Lewis would have had two new engines for the last three races instead of just one.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »
As I understand the rule the joker engine cannot be used for the last race of the season.  I thought it was odd they did not use the joker in Japan.  That way Lewis would have had two new engines for the last three races instead of just one.
I don't think they expected a "nil points" in Japan so they may speculated that Brazil was the lowest priority race and Shanghai needed the extra few horsepower to get the job done. This was the best way to ensure a new engine in China.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline greener_09

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:55:46 PM »
Oh great as if i wasnt gonna be nervous enough everyones doing their best to jinx Lewis talking about engine failure and various car problems. Lewis's Mclaren has been reliable all season and has had no problems with his engine wheather its done one race or two. So everyone stop making me worry and let me sit back and enjoy the race. THANKS

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:47:11 PM »
Don't worry too much, greener. Lewis didn't seem to be taxing his engine very much last week-end. I think the racing scribes are just trying to stir things up a bit.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 02:42:17 AM »
Ferrari did Lewis a real favour in China.  Massa couldn't threaten him and Ferrari called Kimi off early so Lewis could turn his engine down.  Had I been running Ferrari and known that Lewis had to take the same engine to Brazil I would have had Kimi on his case until the last lap.

Against all logic Brazil is not that hard on engines.  There is a long uphill flat out run from the last corner to the first but a couple of things work in favour of McLaren.  First it is at altitude.  Less dense air means they can't pump in as much fuel so the engine produces less power and is less strained.  Secondly the humidity is high and that will cool the combustion a little.  Add to that if it rains the engine will have even less stress on it and you can stop worrying about it.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »
Martin Whitmarsh doesn't sound too worried.

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4373904,00.html
― Bob Dylan

Offline greener_09

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 08:14:41 PM »
This is more like it some positive vibes for Lewis thanks Cos. I know alot of you are not Lewis fans but unless your a ferarri fan surely you dont want to see the mean red machine win again. Its time for a new champ and Lewis is your man.

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »
I'd like to see Lewis win because of the way he's been dumped on by the FIA and also for all the sniping from the other drivers, he's not a dangerous driver, it's all about the wanting to win, you don't win by saying........'you were there 1st so after you'.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline greener_09

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:39:04 PM »
exactly mate Lewis drives to win theres none of this ill take 2nd or 3rd place he drives to win every race and you cant knock him for that

Offline romephius

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »
I don't disagree that Lewis is a racer or that he is a good driver.  I can't stand him because he has had everything handed to him on a silver platter, he is arrogant about others and the arrogance seems to run in the family.  I say ditch daddy and get out on his own.  Stop thinking race wins are his birthright and take them for what they are, an honour won through hard work of a team.

I hope someone takes his car out on the first lap. Go Massa (cos he's the only one who can stop Hamilton).

These of course are just my thoughts and I mean no offence.

Rom

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle