collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 581
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren fear over Lewis car  (Read 6505 times)

Offline greener_09

Re: McLaren fear over Lewis car
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »
No offense taken mate u have the rite to ur views Lewis may have had a easyier ride than most but his talent cant be in question other wise u could stick anyone in a mclaren and ask for a championship

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 01:18:18 AM »
It's interesting you prefer Massa when his father is at every race as well and is on camera at least as much as Anthony Hamilton.  So is Button's.  So is Webber's.  But no-one cares about any of them despite the fact that they have been around the paddock for years before Anthony Hamilton showed up.

Lewis got everything handed to him on a plate because he delivers.  Look at his junior record.  It is far better than anyone else's on the grid.  That includes everyone on the Red Bull program who got everything handed to them.  Everyone on the Renault program who got everything handed to them.  Everyone on the Toyota program who got everything handed to them.  Piquet whose father not only handed everything to him but had teams set up in each formula so that he was guaranteed to have the best of everything.  Rosberg whose father handed everything to him.  The idea that somehow Lewis had everything handed to him on a plate while everyone else struggled is just wrong. 

Unlike Piquet, Rosberg, Nakajima and co who got everything as a birth right Lewis had to deliver every year or lose McLaren backing.  Imagine being 13 or 14 and having to deliver or lose out on McLaren.  I couldn't have coped with that and I don't know many who could.

When he was given his chance in F1 he delivered to the point that he drove the reigning double world champion out the door.  He deserves everything he gets because he delivers.

F1 history is littered with drivers who had an easy ride through the junior formulae and few of them deliver.  Jan Magnussen went through Paul Stewart Racing's junior formulae teams and arrived in F1 with Stewart GP working with the same management and engineers.  Most folk would think that was as easy an entry to F1 as possible but he didn't deliver.

Offline romephius

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 01:33:17 AM »
I didn't know that much history of the other drivers Steven thanks mate.

To qualify my opinion, yes other parents are there, but the media is hyping everything hamilton, the telecast all they talk about is hamilton and it's so annoying it drives me batty.  Also being Australian we very much dislike the tall poppy syndrome.  We like the underdogs here.  I think the greatest thing would have been Kubica sneaking in and stealing the championship from under everyones noses.

So once again I say... choke Lewis, choke. (in the safest manner possible eg: mechanical failure)

Rom

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »
I Think I know what you mean Rom, I get annoyed myself with the TV coverage in Britain because James Allen, the rubbish commentator, assumes we all only watch to support Lewis, the coverage almost verges on Jingoism and all them others are out to get him.

I want to appreciate the whole race experience from the broadcaster covering the races and not a narrow national view. In most races the drivers putting on the best show are further down the field and they are performing beyond expectations.

Sure I want to see Lewis lift the WDC, he's got the natural driving talent for it and he will have scored the points like everyone else has to, but I can also cheer if Massa lifts it he will deserve it equally. 

If Lewis does become WDC maybe he and the media can settle down a bit. Lewis seems so much in a hurry sometimes to conquer everything and this makes him look and sound arrogant & aggresive, but I seem to recall one Michael Schumacher had the same epithets thrown at him in the first few years.  

It's a pity Kubica has left it as a straight 2 driver race in Brazil, it would have made for one helluva race with 3 possibles.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:50:20 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
The TV coverage bugs me as well.  It bugged me when it was Button or Hill or Mansell but lets be sensible.  Kubica as world champion would have been a joke.  It simply shows that the points system introduced to stop Schumacher sewing up the title to early is wrong.  Kubica has yet to win a straight race against all the other championship contenders.  The only race he won was because Lewis took himself and Kimi out of it.  How can you have a world champion who was not a serious threat to anyone at any point in the season.  Kubica as world champion would have been farcical.

Lewis Hamilton is something very special and a lot of people are going to miss out on appreciating him because what some prat on the TV annoys them.  Your TV has a volume control.  Listen to someone else.  THe web is full of streams of the race with commentary from anywhere in the world.

Lewis Hamilton is the best driver we have seen in a very long time.  Don't miss out on something special because James Allen and the like don't have a ny quality control on what comes out of their mouths.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 02:58:37 PM »
Kubica has yet to win a straight race against all the other championship contenders.  The only race he won was because Lewis took himself and Kimi out of it.  How can you have a world champion who was not a serious threat to anyone at any point in the season.  Kubica as world champion would have been farcical.

Plenty of champions in the past have won it because of mechanical failure, tyre failure or driver error from the better cars and drivers in the field. The championship is decided over the whole season and if a driver can take it with only one win then the opposition only have themselves to blame. Perhaps they may claim the stewards affected it but to me that is a luck of the draw thing the same as car failure or racing incidents.

The best driver, and I think you may be right that it's Lewis at the moment Steven, is not guaranteed the WDC by right he has to work for it like the rest. The old maxim, with a little tweak, still holds good:- First you must Finish, with the most points, to Finish First.

I personally would have applauded Kubica if he had won through, he and BMW have been the most consistant combination out there. Inconsistancy seems the one chink in the top 2 runners armour, or so everyone keeps saying, therefore to beat them both on that measure would still make a worthy WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 03:16:43 PM »
Sorry Steven I'm not a big Hamilton fan either!

I just don't care for some of the remarks he's
made and I don't care for his father either.I've
never noticed Massa's dad being there,guess
I was paying too much attention to his mom.

I don't think Hamilton forced Alonso out the
doors single handed,I believe Dennis helped a
little too.Like it or not Alonso is a very talented
2 time World Champion who did beat Ferrari and
the FIA and given the right car and support would
more than likely do it again

Like Rom these are only my views
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
CRAZY AUSSIE RANT FOLLOWS

I'm sorry but this bind faith that Lewis is already a 'great' driver is ridiculous. (in my opinion).  He is very talented (only a fool would deny that), he is very quick, but he is nowhere near a great driver.  Great drivers have their faults for sure, but, they are drivers who can put their ego aside and think of a big picture, not just "look at me, I'm on the top step of the podium instead of the second step".  I'm not saying that a great driver doesn't want to win, but they can look at a season and championship rather than just a race.

In my short time (by comparison to many of you) watching and following F1 there are several drivers I class as greats because of their ability to do what is required for a season (and at times) a race result.  Among these names are (in no particular order), Reubens Barrichello (past it now), Michael Schuey (yeah can't remember how to spell his surname), Fernando Alonso (much as I hate to admit it), Mark Webber (makes gold from rubbish), Kimi Raikkonen (blisteringly quick, if he keeps his attention span long enough), David Coulthard (past it now too).  And these are drivers from the past 7 years.  I would also consider Mikka Hakkinen great too.

Lewis will get my respect by handling some more difficult situations with more grace and losing the chip on his shoulder that drives him to do stupid things on track all in the name of being able to say "look at me daddy, I'm so great I won again".  

I don't hate him, I'm certainly no fan (and will probably never be), but I think there is still too much hype and blind devotion to a kid that has yet to prove he is mature enough to be in the pinacle of motorsport.

And for those who think I am being unduely tough on Lewis, my example of a driver that has developed and matured into the sport well is young Sebastian Vettel.  Now that young man has all the makings of a great driver in the future.

As always these are just my opinions and thoughts... and of course I could be completely wrong.  I am somewhat passionate about this subject though.  LOL.

All thoughts and theories are welcome.

Thank you for reading a crazy mans meandering rant.

Rom

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »
Always good to hear from you, mate. If we weren't passionate about F1, we wouldn't still be here through all of the FIA nonsense.

I like Hamilton, but I wouldn't call him "great" just yet. He still has much to prove. I would put Vettel and Kubica in that category, too. The three of them will be something to watch over the next several seasons. I think each of them has championship potential. If Bernie, Max and Co. don't destroy the sport, we could be on the verge of a new golden age.

I take many of Hamilton's mistakes with a grain of salt. Remember, this is only his second season. Even Shumi made some stupid, banzai moves his first few seasons. Just ask Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
Schumey, banzai, surely not Cos.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »
Regardless of Ron Dennis or anyone else it was Lewis's performances that caused all the problems for Alonso.  Alonso is a great driver.  I have no problem with that.  Lewis as a rookie lead him in the championship for most of the season therefore he is a great driver.  Think of everything Lewis put up with last year.  He had to go in against the guy who was the best driver in the sport.  He had a team that was being torn apart by politics and he drove fabulously right up until the last two races. 

This season he has made Kovi look really bad to the point that some people are questioning whether Kovi shoul even be an F1 driver.

I can't see the arrogance that other people see in Lewis.  I keep reading about how he is all ego and nothing else.  The guy has won championships in every car class he has raced in.  Sometimes it took a second season but that is not unusual.  His junior record is extraordinary so it is not surprising that he is confident in his ability.

While everyone is entitled to a view I think it is wrong to say I have blind faith in him.  My faith in his ability is based purely on what I have seen and what I have read.  It is all based on fact.

Vettel and Kubica may turn out to be serious rivals but until they are regularly competing for wins and subjected to the pressures Lewis has lived with since he first sat in an F1 car we won't know how good they are.  Vettel is beating Bourdais in a car he is far from comfortable in.  That is a long way from being a world championship challeger.

There is a saying in racing that you are all familiar with.  You have to beat your team mate.  In the 2006 F3 Euroseries Vettel finished second in the championship.  His team mate won it.  The team mate was Paul di Resta who had his first GP2 and F1 tests in the last month.  If Vettel is a serious threat to Lewis how good is di Resta?

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 02:24:53 AM »
I'm not sure Hamilton is making Kovalainen look
bad or maybe he's not the driver Dennis thought he was.

I'll give you Hamilton has the potential to be a
great driver but I don't think he showed Alonso up
quite as much as you seem to think.

Let me pose a question at you.Do you think
Alonso would have lost the driving championship
if he had a 17 point lead with 2 races left?

That said if Mclaren had a number one driver in the past
I believe Kimi would have had 1 WDC maybe 2 while
he was at Mclaren,and  either Alonso or Hamilton would
have likely won last year.Your thoughts on that?

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 06:01:27 AM »
I agree, this equal number 1s is simply impossible. Just look at BMW. Early in the year the car was well suited to Kubica's more aggressive style. BMW spent a lot of resources developing the car to help Heidfeld. Now Robert can't seem to find the pace he had before. You need to back one driver and let the other guy cope, and that was Alonso's real problem: he felt that Mac was spending too much time and resources on an unproven rookie instead of backing a 2 time WDC. I kind of agree with that. That is what rankles me about Lewis, he came into one of the best teams in F1 and immediately got equal support as a 2 time WDC. He hasn't paid his dues, lets shove him in a Honda for a season or 2 and see how well he goes. :D
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 06:15:13 AM »
P.S. When they were young and racing for Mercedes, Heinz-Harald Frentzen was nearly always faster than Michael. I don't think you can compare driver's results in other formula with how they will do in F1.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 07:57:56 AM »
He hasn't paid his dues, lets shove him in a Honda for a season or 2 and see how well he goes. :D

Yeah we are up for that, just imagine the look on Alonso's and Ferrari's faces when he passes them in a Honda.  :DD :DD :DD

Anyway next year in the era of wind up rubber band motors (KERS to you) Honda may suprise us all. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle