collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 272
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA Stewards go after Brundle  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Scott

FIA Stewards go after Brundle
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:22 AM »
Now THIS is unbelievable:

From F1 Live:

F1's governing body is reportedly not happy about the continuing commentating career of former driver Martin Brundle.

It is widely expected that the popular 49-year-old, who currently occupies the ITV commentary box, is set to switch over to the BBC from next year as the sport's broadcasting rights in Britain change hands.

But despite winning six Royal Television Society Awards for his role, Brundle is not popular among FIA figures.

The Briton revealed last year he has been the subject of the Paris body's complaints to ITV that his 'commentary is not up to standard.'

The World Motor Sport Council last year also cleared the path for the FIA to pursue Brundle for libel for a newspaper column he wrote suggesting the spy scandal was akin to a 'witch hunt'.

The British newspaper Daily Mail now reports that FIA delegate Alan Donnelly, who represents Max Mosley at Grand Prix, 'has been trying to dissuade BBC executives from employing Brundle'.

Martin Brundle contested nearly 160 Grand Prix for teams including Tyrrell, Williams, Benetton, McLaren and Jordan.

What planet to Donnely and Max really come from?  They are so insulated in their little world that they actually think that they should have any influence on who the BBC chooses to employ???  Should the BBC start clearing all their 'hires' with the FIA?  Are there going to be regulations next year about what a commentator can and cannot say about the FIA and FOM?  They'll probably have to clear their comments with Charlie Whiting before discussing any on or off-track incidents.  Seriously, if this guy Donnely is really going to be Max's heir, then we may be in more trouble than ever before.  I can't wait to read what Brundle thinks about the whole thing (or does he have a gag order as a result of the FIA libel case?).

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Re: FIA Stewards go after Brundle
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:42:42 PM »
It's a measure of the sad state of the sport. Today, this is not only believable, it's expected. What's unbelievable today is the megalomania of the junta in charge of F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline greener_09

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »
Its just typical of the FIA to attack anyone who has anything negative to say about them. I hope Brundle continues to speak his mind and speak for true F1 fans.

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
I have locked the other thread on this topic to keep all the comments in one place.  I have not had a phone call from Donnelly telling me to close it nor do I object to anything anyone has said.  I am just trying to keep the place tidy.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »
Quote from greener_09 on the other thread:

Thanks for posting things like this guys otherwise i wouldn't be able to keep up with all the latest news.

That's how many of us ended up here. Over here in the States, it's almost impossible to get any F1 news through the mainstream media.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26:56 PM »
Oops sorry Dare.  Looks like you beat me by about 5 minutes.  Thanks for locking one of the threads.

Seriously, why isn't the sports media EXTREMELY upset about this sort of thing and calling the FIA on the carpet?  Has our media really grown that spineless?  It's the same thing in politics these days.  If you really want eye-opening, you have to look at the comedy shows (Jon Stewart for example).

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »
Greener don't worry about not being a computer
buff,your input is valuable to us.

If you need any help ask,someone will be more
than glad to help
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 02:50:48 AM »
I hate to say it, but commentators are regularly approved in the US by sports like the NFL, Major League Baseball, The NCAA, etc. If you try to use a non-approved announcer you can have your rights pulled. MLB almost banned the great Dizzy Dean in the 50s because he " din't talk gud English". You better believe NASCAR would give a very hard time to anyone who departed form the party line.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:56:08 AM »
Haven't heard  Diz's name mentioned in ages.Remember
his sidekick Pee wee Reese?I used to bowl in his
bowling alley here in Louisville.Kentucky
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »
I hate to say it, but commentators are regularly approved in the US by sports like the NFL, Major League Baseball, The NCAA, etc. If you try to use a non-approved announcer you can have your rights pulled. MLB almost banned the great Dizzy Dean in the 50s because he " din't talk gud English". You better believe NASCAR would give a very hard time to anyone who departed form the party line.

I guess I'm naive.

One difference with F1 is that the MLB and NCAA directly sell TV rights to the networks, so they can wield influence and have a say in some issues if they are in the contract.  NASCAR on the other hand I believe owns all the TV equipment and hires the commentators and then just sells their feed to the networks - quite a bit different setup than any other sport.  The FIA on the other hand, does not sell TV rights - the FOM (or one of it's affiliates) does.  Although some of us suspect that the FIA and FOM are attached at the hip (or butt, in Max's case), the FIA has no more right to question the BBC's choice for commentators than a MLB Umpire association does - simply because it does not like the criticism a commentator gave over blatantly biased officiating.  Can you imagine what would happen in the U.S. if someone said that call was bad and then the Umpires (or even the MLB) came out and publicly said that they wanted that commentator to be fired?  C'mon, I don't think that would fly, especially if it was obvious that the umpire's call was really bad.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »
I think the FIA are so used to getting their own way with everything they just can't cope with objective or subjective critisism. They will not have much joy in getting the BBC to censor or sterilise commentators as the Beeb sports department covers a huge amount of wordwide sport they are not about to cede control in any one area. The BBC also has the clout and independance to tell the FIA where to go.

The FIA should look at other sports, particularly soccer and see that the questioning of officials decisions goes on for weeks even years, in fact the endless re-playing and dissecting of matches has become a whole programme strand in it's self.

When the boys at the FIA grow up they will realise critisism is healthy, it does not change the original decisions but it makes sure that every one, including the rule makers, referees, stewards and other officials, get to see and amend glaring inconsistencies and ongoing injustice or bad practice.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
When the boys at the FIA grow up they will realise critisism is healthy, it does not change the original decisions but it makes sure that every one, including the rule makers, referees, stewards and other officials, get to see and amend glaring inconsistencies and ongoing injustice or bad practice.

But it's quite a bit more than that in F1 and with the FIA, isn't it?  It doesn't matter how many times you replay an incident, the FIA official (backed up by Charlie Whiting) will ALWAYS stick to their guns and never admit error.  The only way the FIA can change is from the top down.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »
In fairness Scotty I don't think any sporting authoroties apologise for their officials decisions, that is not the issue for me, the others allow discussion however embarrising and appear to take most of it onboard; but who really knows if any of them folow through.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 05:33:33 AM »
I DO remember Peewee Reese. It's hard to believe there was a time when only 1 MLB game was on each week. We used to drive by Ol Diz' house in Phoenix when I was little. Honestly though, did you hear any game commentators criticize MLB's steroid policy when it was all over the news?

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle