collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 192
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11290 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: HAMILTON: I'M McLAREN FOR LIFE  (Read 2818 times)

TheStig

HAMILTON: I'M McLAREN FOR LIFE
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
Lewis Hamilton has pledged the rest of his career to McLaren after becoming the youngest ever Formula One world champion.

Speaking at a homecoming event at the team's headquarters in Woking today, Hamilton told McLaren's staff he will never drive for anyone else.

"It's easy. I'm with the team I've always dreamed of being with and if you have the car of your dreams then why would you want to leave?" the 23-year-old said.

"The day I get in the car and don't have the motivation, maybe that's the time to get out but I want to see my career out with this team."

Messages of congratulations have been flooding in since Hamilton clinched the championship with fifth place in Sunday's Brazilian Grand Prix.

"I haven't had the time to check out all the messages on my mobile phone," added Hamilton, who also received more formal congratulations from The Queen who wrote: "I'm delighted that you succeeded in winning the Formula One World Championship to become the youngest-ever champion.

"I send you my warmest congratulations on your remarkable and historic achievement."

Hamilton thanked his family for their support and his team for maintaining faith after the disappointment of missing out on the title by a single point the previous year.

"Last season I didn't plan out the whole year so at the end I was really spent," he added.

"I've got loads of energy now and I think that comes from everybody giving me their support to keep my head up.

"It makes me happy to make other people happy.

"Everyone has troubles and doubts but it's how you grow as a person and how you grow as a team, that's what builds character and, with all the experiences I've had, I don't have any regrets.

"We lost the championship last year by one point. I don't regret that because it's part of the learning process. Come this year and all the tough times we've had and all the hard work we've done, it makes it all the sweeter.

"I've never arrived at a track and said I'm the only one here. We've always arrived determined to do well and we're just proud to have achieved something that we set out to do from the beginning.

"I was six years old when I said this was what I wanted to do. My dad kept pushing, pushing and pushing to give me the opportunity and without his enthusiasm and the deal that was made we wouldn't have had this.

"I don't sit here and say to myself I want to be an inspiration for one particular generation. The great thing about it is that it opens doors up to all groups.

Hamilton sped round the lake at McLaren's high-tech HQ today before receiving a standing ovation as he stood behind his array of trophies in the foyer.

"The biggest challenge was keeping it out of the lake," he joked. "I had to hold myself back and didn't even leave any tyre marks on the road."

Looking ahead to the challenge of retaining his crown, Hamilton added: "That's quite simple - avoid penalties and avoid mistakes.

"We have a tough job on our hands as a team next year with all the new rules and regulations and everyone is working flat out right now.

"We want to make sure that we come out on top again and, for my part, I want to be even better. I'm even more determined having had a taste of it."

But despite becoming a British sporting icon, he has no intention of moving back from tax exile in Switzerland.

"I'm happy where I am. I have a very balanced life and I don't want anything to change," he added.

TheStig

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=formula1/08/11/05/AUTO_Hamilton_Nightlead.html

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: HAMILTON: I'M McLAREN FOR LIFE
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »
Well I'm sure he believes it at the moment but one day when the motivation is flagging he'll probably try and beat other world champs who have done it with more than one team.

Without proving at some time that it's not just Macca that gets him the WDC he will always have the question hanging over him.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:51:05 PM »
I'm not so sure either - Anthony Hamilton was spotted in so many motorhomes up and down the paddock this season...I doubt he was just making friends.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »
I'm not so sure either - Anthony Hamilton was spotted in so many motorhomes up and down the paddock this season...I doubt he was just making friends.

If he doesn't at least try to smile a bit every now and again, he's going to lose the few he has. God he always looks such a misery ! :fool:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline greener_09

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »
I think Lewis will stay with Mclaren for most of his career. They've invested so much money in him it would cost another team a fortune to sign him.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:59 AM »
I doubt it.  Next round of negotiations will have the Hamiltons holding most of the cards.  They certainly won't agree to a clause that would cost another team a fortune to buy out an option, or to sign him at the end of a contract.  They will want their options open.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
Without proving at some time that it's not just Macca that gets him the WDC he will always have the question hanging over him.

So you are saying that there is a question about whether Jimmy Clark was any good or not.

I am sure Lewis believes what he is saying but circumstances change.  Anthony Hamilton doen not just manage Lewis.  He is also Paul di Resta's manager.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
I think he'll stay at McLaren for some time. He's got a good thing there and he knows it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:29:48 PM »

So you are saying that there is a question about whether Jimmy Clark was any good or not.

I am sure Lewis believes what he is saying but circumstances change.  Anthony Hamilton doen not just manage Lewis.  He is also Paul di Resta's manager.

The regret is all mine if anyone for a moment inteperets my post as a sideswipe at Clark.

Jim may well have considered a move to join another team a few years later, had he lived.  However he more than proved his credentials by being lightning fast in F1 cars and other cars and series during his time in F1.

The records would have stood a lot higher, and been much harder to beat, for the racers that followed him if Clark had enjoyed more years.

Jim Clark is still my choice for the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
I just read where The Swerve says that Hamilton should go to Ferrari. That's all I need to hear. If The Swerve says Lewis should go, that means he really, really should stay!

http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4462779,00.html
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »
The regret is all mine if anyone for a moment inteperets my post as a sideswipe at Clark.

I was simply making the point that a driver can establish himself as a great driver without moving teams.

I just read where The Swerve says that Hamilton should go to Ferrari. That's all I need to hear. If The Swerve says Lewis should go, that means he really, really should stay!

This make me wonder about how much drivers consider driving styles and the types of cars teams build.  Ferrari have a tradition of building understeering cars and Lewis is an oversteer driver.  Anyone with a basic grasp of motor racing reality knows that putting an oversteer driver in an understeering car isn't going to work.  Look at Kimi this season. Some people actually believe that Massa is a better driver than him.  Why would Lewis need to do something so stupid?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle