F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Heidfeld impressed with KERS

(1/2) > >>

John S:
Nick Heidfeld says he is looking forward to the deployment of KERS technology next year.

''I can already notice a difference'' he says.

The German sampled BMW Sauber's early running version of the system in the famously aesthetically-challenged interim car this week.

"There are still many things to sort out," Heidfeld is quoted as saying by the Cologne newspaper Express, "but when I press the (boost) button, I can already notice a difference. It should be very helpful."

It is believed that BMW's KERS system is already delivering bursts of additional 80 horse power. 

It is clear, however, that development of the new technology still has some way to go, given the 'high voltage' warnings on the bodywork of many of the teams' test cars this week.

Mechanics, meanwhile, can frequently be seen wearing elbow-length insulated gloves in the pits, ostensibly because of the ongoing risk of electric shock.

Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Steven Roy:
The 'high voltage' signs are a legal requirement.  Not having them would be a breach of health and safety law in many countries.

TheStig:
This is due too an earthing problem,and all the teams will find this as static elecricity is built up until it is released by the old mechanic who touches the car!...when of course the energy passes through him to ground.

In my view the teams have got to isolate the charge as it could be a disaster when re-fuelling .when the rig comes into contact with the car

TheStig

Dare:
lightening rods on F1 cars,I hope not :o

cosworth151:
It sounds like they'll have to install the same style grounding (earthing) contacts in the garages that they have in the pit box. Hopefully that will help the static problem.

I wonder what will happen the first time a mechanic gets careless in the middle of some frenzied work during a quali session.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version