collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams confident of regaining F1 form  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Wizzo

Williams confident of regaining F1 form
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:10:58 PM »

Former champions Williams believe they can reclaim their place among Formula One's elite despite what founder Frank Williams calls an "unblinkingly shocking" season.

The British-based team, whose last title came with Canadian Jacques Villeneuve in 1997, have not scored a point in their last 10 races - their worst run of form in 30 years.

After Australian Mark Webber and Germany rookie Nico Rosberg again drew blanks in last weekend's Italian Grand Prix at Monza, Williams are languishing eighth of the 11 teams in the championship.

"It's the worst we've been since ... (co-founder) Patrick (Head) and I started in 1977," Williams told reporters recently.

"The lowest we've ever been since 1977 I'm pretty certain is fifth so eighth is just unblinkingly, humiliatingly shocking."

"It is much more difficult now, I'm not crying on this, we want to beat the guys and we can - but there is some very good opposition and it knows what its doing, there are six manufacturers.

"That's the mountain to climb for us, but it can be done."

Williams, nine times constructors' champions since 1980, have not won a race since Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya in Brazil at the end of 2004. Although they ended the 1978 season ninth, they did not go so many races without scoring. Only the top six got points in those days.

The team have been using Cosworth V8 engines this season after the split with BMW last year but have signed a deal with Toyota for 2007.

While the team have not been uncompetitive in terms of speed, with both drivers qualifying in the top 10, they have been let down by a lack of reliability.

"Clearly our product is the problem and we have a pretty straightforward idea of what we must do," said Williams.

"I can't talk about what we're going to do but we just know what we need to do to make a faster car.

"Some of the reasons why we have failed in races is lack of adherence to correct internal process.

"No one's left anything undone, that I'm aware of."

Webber will move on next year, after signing for Red Bull, and Williams will have Rosberg partnered by Austrian veteran Alexander Wurz.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

FW14B

Re: Williams confident of regaining F1 form
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:31:00 PM »
Well, I will post here as a Williams fan first (and McLaren fan close 2nd).  They seem to have regained some form this season even if in the last few races that pace has vanished and they're getting lost in the depths of midfield again.  I think Wurz is the main problem area this year though (despite his fantastic podium) as he desperately needs to get to grips with qualifying.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
Memo to Sir Frank:

Find the phone numbers you have in Cologne and Toyota City. Tear them up. I know some people in Northampton who have just what you need. I think you still might have their number from last year.

Best Rregards,
Cos
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »
Hmmm, not sure that would help, Coz.  Better not to mention last year to Sir Frank...   :stop:
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 09:53:06 PM »
The Toyota power is fine for the team, and I think in at least one race we recorded the fastest speed.  The main problem is in aero efficiency and downforce, which can only come with extra funding.  To be honest I think how Williams are doing this season is probably exactly where they wanted to be, scoring points and getting one or hopefully two podiums. 

Offline johnbull

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »
They have performed beyond expectations this season but have also had some rotten luck.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 10:02:25 PM »
In terms of our expectations they have done much better than expected, but I reckon the team themselves would have been hoping for this.  But yes, luck hasn't been with Williams too much which is unfortunate, and unlike last year it hasn't always been because the car has been made of paper. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle