collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 565
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Subaru Withdraws from WRC  (Read 3312 times)

Offline cosworth151

Subaru Withdraws from WRC
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:25:32 PM »
Yet another major manufacturer has withdrawn from racing. Hot on the heels of Honda's exit from F1 and Audi pulling out of ALMS, Subaru is quitting the World Rally Championship.

The news comes as a bolt from the blue--just as recently as last week, the team's Imprezas tested in France in preparation for the 2009 season. However, it has been an open secret for some time that the bosses of Fuji Heavy Industries--Subaru's parent company--were unhappy with the performance of the Prodrive-run team in recent years.

Prodrive blamed this lack of performance on car setup difficulties with the old-shape Impreza WRC, related specifically to differentials and dampers. The British-based team promised their Japanese paymasters that the situation would improve with the advent of the all-new hatchback Impreza WRC, introduced on the Acropolis Rally in June. But while the new car took second place in its debut, in the hands of Petter Solberg, it did not provide the quantum leap in performance that Subaru wanted.

David Richards, Prodrive chairman, commented: "Subaru's departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport's icons. The Subaru World Rally Team has created true champions such as Colin McRae and Richard Burns and its absence will be felt by many the world over. Although this decision closes a significant chapter in Prodrive's history, our focus now turns to the future."

Richards hopes to return to the WRC in 2010 when new rules take effect. This could also leave Richards and Prodrive freer to take over Honda's former F1 team.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

Re: Subaru Withdraws from WRC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:41 PM »
Sad news indeed, its ironic that Subaru pull out of the sport that made them what they are today. This will impact of their fan base which in turn will impact on their sales - crazy!

Locally my area has seen Lexus, Honda and Chrysler garages all closing down. With the car market in turmoil it makes you wonder if there will be any motor sport left next year.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline AJM

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
it's very sad - losing Subaru will be a big loss to the WRC which is as we know facing it's own problems.

Hopefully once these economic conditions have settled we'll see Subaru (and hopefully some other manufacturers) re-join the WRC.

Ironically the loss of Subaru could end up being the saviour of Honda F1

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:17:25 PM »
Hi AJM.

Welcome to GP Wizard.  If you need any info just yell and someone will help.

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »
Steven, AJM registered in June 07, ain't seen a lot of him in 18mths
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline AJM

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:29:31 AM »
Steven, AJM registered in June 07, ain't seen a lot of him in 18mths

thats right - forgot about my membership here for a while but got an email from the admin staff inviting me back...so here i am

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 07:27:23 AM »
Welcome back AJM, we're going from strength to strength here now.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
Glad to have you back, AJM!

I wonder what this will mean for Subaru's flagship WRX model.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline AJM

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
Glad to have you back, AJM!

I wonder what this will mean for Subaru's flagship WRX model.

It's good to be back!  :yahoo:

I imagine they will keep producing it - didnt Mitsubishi keep producing the EVO long after they had withdrawn from the WRC? As you mention the car is their flagship model and i'm sure will still de desirable for races worldwide - as long as the demand is there i'm sure they'll still supply (but maybe in smaller numbers)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle