collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Race wins will decide F1 Championship  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Dare

Race wins will decide F1 Championship
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Here we go again

Fox Sports

PARIS (AP) - Formula One's championship will be decided by the number of race wins and not accumulated points.

Governing body FIA decided Tuesday that the current points system will remain in effect to determine the driver's title in the case of a tie, with points also determining the order of the drivers who finish the season behind the overall champion.
Under the new system, Ferrari's Felipe Massa would have won the 2008 championship instead of Lewis Hamilton of McLaren. The Brazilian driver won six grand prix races to Hamilton's five.

The 10 F1 teams had been looking to change the points to a 12-9-7 scoring system for first through third place, from its current 10-9-8 allocation. F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone had initially preferred a medals tally, but FIA approved Ecclestone's revised proposal, which will not affect the constructors' championship.

FIA's World Motor Sports Council also approved further regulation changes to decrease costs in the face of the worldwide economic crisis.

"All teams will have the option to compete with cars built and operated within a stringent cost cap," the council said.

A proposed cap of $42 million would cover expenditures of "any kind" and to give such cars greater technical freedom. That would entail "a more aerodynamically efficient upper body, movable wings and an engine which is not subject to a rev limit or a development freeze."

Car weights will be published following Saturday's qualifying session and would rename tire grades for better clarity to spectators. Drivers must also be available for further autograph sessions and better media availability.

F1 teams will also be limited to eight one-day aerodynamic tests during the course of the season instead of a total ban on in-season testing, and allowed three one-day "young driver" tests featuring pilots who have not raced more than two GPs in the preceding 24 months.

The council, meeting before the start of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on March 29, also rubber-stamped Brawn GP's purchase of Honda while waiving the new entry fee that usually accompanies a new team on the starting grid.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Race wins will decide F1 Championship
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:32:52 PM »
So a guy can have more points than the WDC?  What a load of crap.  Max and Bernie are a pair of morons.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
So a guy can have more points than the WDC?  What a load of crap.  Max and Bernie are a pair of morons.

Unless the drivers have a tie in race wins,then
re revert back to the point system.If they
would have gone with rewarding first with more points
I could have lived with that.This is crap
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »

It could be more than one with more points.............

so the WDC could be 3rd overall.  :crazy:   :crazy:   :crazy:   :swoon:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
I come back from work feeling tired, read this and thought I was having a nightmare.  But no, this is worse, it is reality.  What on earth is happening to F1?  Crazy, crazy times. 

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »
Nothing more to add to this string, except that it is a crap rule.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline greener_09

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:27:22 PM »
I cant believe their going ahead with this its a joke.May i join everyone else by saying its CRAP!

Offline F1Charles

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »
A Facebook group has been set up tonight as an online petition against the new changes

Anyone interested and has Facebook please go to http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56613532878#/group.php?gid=56613532878

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »
I think Max has overdosed on his stupid pills.

I think Bernie is setting him up.  The more I think about this the more I think Bernie is trying to cause a breakaway and when the FIA and F1 can't meet their obligations Bernie will slide change his track and broadcast contracts to the breakaway.

The two tier F1 is insane.  Teams with no budget can run any technology they like.  So people who can't possibly test technology enough to ensure its safety can race it. 

The man is mental.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »
The only way a guy in second will fight for the win is if he is right behind the leader.  This is going to make the races more boring, not more exciting.

So FOTA had their points proposal swept aside by Max and Bernie.  They are really being marginalized.  I wonder how long they will sit and take it.  Now with the ridiculous budget cap idea that any team that stays under and IMPOSSIBLE budget can run anything they like.  I guess the major manufacturer's will start to have a few ex janitors on staff making $5/hr with titles like Aero Engineer and staff the motorhomes with 250 highly paid coffee servers with aerodynamic and mechanical engineering degrees (since motorhomes and hospitality budgets are separate).  What a load of crap.  With all these cost savings, the question remains, will the fans (especially), the track owners and sponsors all get more for less as well??  I didn't think so. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:26:21 AM by ScottyD »

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:50:57 AM »
I saw Bernie interviewed. He said; 'we are in the entertainment business so we needed this change to make things more exciting'.
How does this make things more exciting?
All the drivers want to win.
If they actually dare to overtake in a robust way (yes, I'm talking about Hamilton) they get penalised and have the race win taken away from them!!!!

Now we have the real possibilty of someone lucking out on a few wins, not getting points in any other races but still going on to win the Championship. Think about it, in a season where wins may be shared by 4 or 5 of the favorites, then a mid-pack car keeps going when accidents or break-downs take out the favorites in 4 or 5 races and suddenly you get the most undeserving World Champion in history!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
This is insane! I never thought I see a dumber scoring set-up than the "Race to the Chase" that NASCAR started a few years ago, and the NHRA copied, but this takes the cake!

I haven't heard anybody outside of the FIA and FOM say anything positive about this hog wash. What the hell have these Bozos been smoking, anyway? :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
Response from FOTA:

The FIA World Motor Sport Council today announced a raft of changes aimed at slashing the costs of competing on Formula One and bringing down the budget required for a two-car team to just33m Euros. The FIA announced that the cost reductions would 'make it easier for new teams to enter and also allow existing teams to participate on much reduced budgets should they so choose'.

The budget cap includes 'everything except the motor home' and therefore driver salaries are included as well as team personnel. The FIA plans to detail the regulations for 2010 shortly.

The following is a statement from the Formula One Teams' Association:

"With regard to the decisions taken today by the FIA World Council, FOTA would like to express its disappointment and concern at the fact that these have been taken in a unilateral manner."

"The framework of the regulations as defined by the FIA, to be applicable as from 2010, runs the risk of turning on its head the very essence of Formula One and the principles that make it one of the most popular and appealing sports."

"Given the timeframe and the way in which these modifications were decided upon, we feel it is necessary to study closely the new situation and to do everything, especially in these difficult times, to maintain a stable framework for the regulations without continuous upheaval, that can be perplexing and confusing for car manufacturers, teams, the public and sponsors."

Offline AJM

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »
i think it's a completely stupid idea! The revised points system proposed by FOTA was a much better solution as it rewarded more for a victory.

I also think the £30m budget cap introduced from 2010 is a stupid idea too...seems the rules are going to be split in two with teams deciding which camp they want to compete in

I hope we have a season like 1982 where no one driver won more than 2 races...that will really mess the new system up!  :D

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »
Personally I think its a brilliant idea!

It shows that Bernie & Max can cast aside a system tried and tested over decades and come up with something better in a heartbeat.

I love the idea so much that I have sent them both a present.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle