collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 589
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton to lose 3rd place??  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Wizzo

Hamilton to lose 3rd place??
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
Having inherited third place at the expense of Jarno Trulli in the Australian Grand Prix last weekend, Lewis Hamilton could be set to lose it again as the FIA investigates whether he slowed deliberately to allow the Trulli back past.

“The FIA really got it wrong in that decision,”  “We have all the evidence, including Hamilton’s admission, that I did not overtake him. He let me past.

“Under those circumstances, Hamilton had a problem and he slowed down, almost stopping, and he allowed me to pass. There was nothing else I could do but keep going, and in order to do that I had to pass him.”

Should the FIA decide that he did indeed slow deliberately after receiving orders from McLaren, he could lose the position and Trulli may be re-instated.

What a great way to start the season.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:02:35 AM by GPWizard »

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Neil.P

Re: Hamilton to lose 3rd place??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »
Yes, think 3rd place has gone back to Trulli. Hamilton disqualified.

Neil.P

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
Yes, think 3rd place has gone back to Trulli. Hamilton disqualified.

Neil.P

Yes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

This is getting ridiculous. The seasons barely started and we've already had disqualifications. Can't they just let them be and give Hamilton 3rd and Trulli 4th or the other way round. At the end of the day Trulli slipped off and returned in 4th. What happened after that is just immaterial and any penalties are just for the sake of following wishy washy rules. No one was harmed after all.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
This is absurd!

I have to admit, when I first read Wizard's post, I thought it was an April Fool's Day joke. As rmassart just said, there was no harm, so no foul. There doesn't even appear to have been any ill intent. Just put Jarno and Lewis in 3rd and fourth, one way or the other, and move on to Sepang.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:49:56 PM »
What have the FIA got against Hamilton and Maclaren??

Hamilton can't do right for doing wrong. If he hadn't let Trulli past he probably would have been disqualified anyway (he thought he had overtaken under yellow).
As most of us have already said they should have left the result in the order they crossed the line. It would have been the fairest result. Now the FIA have made a mountain out of a mole hill (again) and have brought the sport into further disrepute!!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:55:18 PM »
The FIA are now claiming that Hamilton testified to the stewards that he didn't slow down. They claim that the disqualification is not because of the pass, but for impeding the investigation.

I'd like to see the transcript, but I'll bet we never do.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
This is absurd!

I have to admit, when I first read Wizard's post, I thought it was an April Fool's Day joke. As rmassart just said, there was no harm, so no foul. There doesn't even appear to have been any ill intent. Just put Jarno and Lewis in 3rd and fourth, one way or the other, and move on to Sepang.

hold on guys - the FIA decision:

"The stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code."  

that's a euphemism for lying [even if by omission]

so we now have a WDC who obviously is prepared to bear false witness against a fellow competitor to advance his ambitions

and if that is not a foul or has done harm than what the heck is it?

and can you imagine two knights of the realm in Sir Stirling MOSS and Sir Jackie Stewart ever stooping to that sort of conduct?

frankly I now have a contempt for the defending WDC and McLAREN and suggest the penalty could have been far worse - they have been caught red-handed.

and I applaud the FIA for restoring natural justice to TRULLI and not being fooled by smart and cunning false testimony.

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
It seems it all revolves around the radio communications between the team and Lewis the team did not report to conversation to the stewards but the FIA were at the meeting and listen to all the broadcasts so the information was there.
Trulli falls off the track Lewis passes Trulli regains the track and repasses Lewis.
Where is the wrong in that?
Trulli passing Lewis under the safety car thats where.
The penalty against Vettel was also wrong it was 50/50 so a racing incident.
The biggest problem it seems is the stewards they have become power crazy and want to make their presence felt at every race.

I'm very close to stopping watching F1. >:( :(
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 01:27:51 PM »
Looks to me like Lewis was penalized for lying
to the stewarts.

In the words of Ben Franklin
"honesty is the best policy"
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »
As I said in the other thread,I'd like to see a transcript of what was actually said at the post-race hearing.

Maybe we should add another field to the Grid Game:

How many of the first 8 finishers will be later DQ'ed or moved out of the points.
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
Looks to me like Lewis was penalized for lying
to the stewarts.

In the words of Ben Franklin
"honesty is the best policy"

yeah Dare - perhaps we should start an honesty crusade, not only in F1 but also in the banking industry. :good:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
Like Cos, I'd REALLY like to see the transcript on it, but if it is as the FIA have stated, then I think they were right to penalize him.  But instead of DQ'ing him, I'd say they should give him an enormous fine (as much as I didn't like the fine against McLaren last year, a driver caught lying during a race investigation should get a serious punishment - maybe there is a better solution, but I can't think of it right now), and force him to pay it personally - not let the team take the rap.  If someone in the team told him to lie, then he should now have the guts to stand up and say who.  If it was the team manager David Ryan - then fire him.  What is amazing is that Lewis had already stated in interviews that the team had told him to let Trulli by.  What in tar-nation gave him the idea that he could go and completely change his statement to the FIA an hour later, without it being questioned.

Like I said in another post, he can win in the McLaren this year if he doesn't make any stupid mistakes before they give him a winning car a few races in.  This is one of those really, really stupid mistakes - and just to hold onto one point.   :nono: :nono: :nono:

I've just read more on it - and it is a real McLaren bred fiasco in my opinion.  Idiots!!
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
No transcript, but the FIA has put out an official press release, including a recording of Hamilton's radio traffic.

http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/f1releases/2009/Pages/f1_stewards_decision.aspx
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »
Where is the FIA clarifying what SHOULD have happened?

I understand the ruling that FIA gave about Trulli... he passed under yellow.

I understand the ruling that the FIA gave about Hamilton:  he was deliberately unhelpful.

But what I want to know, and what I'm sure the entire grid wants to know, is what should Hamilton and Trulli have done?

There's going to be a soggy race this weekend.  Someone is going to go off track with the safety car on track.  The drivers need to know now what is expected of them.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
Where is the FIA clarifying what SHOULD have happened?

I understand the ruling that FIA gave about Trulli... he passed under yellow.

I understand the ruling that the FIA gave about Hamilton:  he was deliberately unhelpful.

But what I want to know, and what I'm sure the entire grid wants to know, is what should Hamilton and Trulli have done?

There's going to be a soggy race this weekend.  Someone is going to go off track with the safety car on track.  The drivers need to know now what is expected of them.

I'm still not sure what the correct thing is, I think as Trulli left the race track and all four wheels were off then he could not be taking part during that time. But the rules do not seem to give a definitive answer.

If the bloody rules were crystal clear each driver and team would have known exactly where they stood when the incident of Trulli leaving the track took place.

Failing that why didn't the stewards call in the evidence from the TV pictures and radio converstions, from the minute or so when all the disputed action took place, before giving a decision. This is top International sporting competition after all not a club race in the middle of nowhere. 

Are the Stewards up to the job or is it time for professional Stewards who travel with the F1 circus around the globe.?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle