collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 602
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton to lose 3rd place??  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Hamilton to lose 3rd place??
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 07:14:59 PM »
Surely if all of Jarno's wheels were on the grass then Lewis was entitled to the place(I'm not a Lewis fan either.) Think back to last year with Kimi and Lewis and a similar situation (apart from safety car)when Lewis went off track(short cut) and took Kimi, Lewis immediately let Kimi pass and then re=took him and got hammered for it. As has already been said, you need to hear the full transcript of everything, pit radio, statements to the FIA, the lot before a valid comment can be made.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 08:05:51 PM »
How strange that its taken the stewards and FIA 4 days to come up with this?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
Surely if all of Jarno's wheels were on the grass then Lewis was entitled to the place(I'm not a Lewis fan either.) Think back to last year with Kimi and Lewis and a similar situation (apart from safety car)when Lewis went off track(short cut) and took Kimi, Lewis immediately let Kimi pass and then re=took him and got hammered for it. As has already been said, you need to hear the full transcript of everything, pit radio, statements to the FIA, the lot before a valid comment can be made.

At least then the FIA clearly stated that Lewis was to allow Kimi the racing line for 2 more corners (my memory is foggy on the exact number of corners). 

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
It was 2 corners Jericoke, but that was'nt what he was told, the race director was asked several times by RD if it was ok now that Lewis had given the place back and was told "yes." It was only afterwards that Lewis was penalised.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »
If I understand what the FIA claims, they're not penalizing Hamilton for what he did on the track, but for what he said (or didn't say) in the inquiry after the race. That's why I'd like to see a transcript of what exactly was said.

After listening to the McLaren radio tape, I'd also like to know why it took so long for McLaren to get an answer from Charlie Whiting, or even if they ever got an answer at all.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
Everything needs to be a lot more transparent as right now F1 just appears to make very little sense to even die hard fans.  The result is still really TBC and it seems things change every other day.  It is no good for the sport or for fans.

Offline Scott

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 06:32:08 AM »
If I understand what the FIA claims, they're not penalizing Hamilton for what he did on the track, but for what he said (or didn't say) in the inquiry after the race. That's why I'd like to see a transcript of what exactly was said.

After listening to the McLaren radio tape, I'd also like to know why it took so long for McLaren to get an answer from Charlie Whiting, or even if they ever got an answer at all.

I don't think you'll ever see one (transcript).  Mclaren has accepted the penalty, and Whitmarsh's defense of the episode was really weak - i.e. there was something to the FIA's findings.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
Failing that why didn't the stewards call in the evidence from the TV pictures and radio converstions, from the minute or so when all the disputed action took place, before giving a decision. This is top International sporting competition after all not a club race in the middle of nowhere.

Surely the technology is in place to ensure the final results on the day are indeed the final results. Imagine watching a football match live only to find by the time you arrived home one of the goals was disallowed after the referee had re-watched the match - there would be an uproar!

If the rules were clear for all to understand then situations like this would never arise. What happened to the good ol' days? When a driver did something wrong, it would be discussed and then a big black flag was waved out of the window within a couple of laps - not 4 days later!

Many of my friends have started to gain interest in F1 since Hamilton won the championship and they were delighted to see Button win in the opening round. Now, they are completely confused by the events in Australia, so much so they may not watch again.

Talk about more harm than good.  :fool:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:28:39 PM by GPWizard »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
People are making the mistake of taking the FIA's comments as an indication that Hamilton was lying.
From what is in the public domain and a little I have heard from insiders, Hamilton has been penalised for not volunteering the information that he had delberately slowed to let Trulli pass.
My undestanding is that he was never asked directly. Therefore he did not lie. Both he and the Team suggest that they believed the FIA already knew that the team had told Hamilton to let Trulli past. The team then instructed Hamilton to 'say nothing' to the stewards.
However, I knew that the team had told him to let Trulli pass because Hamilton said so in an interview straight after the race. If I knew, how could the FIA not know??????
This has all come about because the FIA made a stupid decision to penalise Trulli and when they realised their crass mistake they needed someone to blame!
At the moment I am only just holding my interest in F1 because my man Jenson actually won. When the FIA take his points away because of a diffuser design that complied with scrutineering but upset a few team managers, I will switch off forever.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:53:03 PM by monty »

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
When the FIA take his points away because of a diffuser design that complied with scrutineering but upset a few team managers, I will switch off forever.

Hopefully only until the regime changes.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 01:32:14 AM »
The whole stewarding process is a joke.  The stewards asked what was said on the radio.  They have access to all the radio traffic.  They don't need to ask they simply have to get off their butts and examine the data.  They asked who slowed down when.  They don't need to ask that either as they have access to the ECU data if they get off their butts.

Both Toyota and McLaren repeatedly contacted race control to get a clarification of who third place belonged to but no-one in race controlwould give an answer.  The race ran right to the end under yellow.  There must have been someone in race control who could have made a decision.

Apparently stewards meetings are not minuted.  So when they say what happened in Melbourne they are going on memory alone because there is no written account of the meeting.  No-one can remember who said what in what order in reply to what exactly if it is not in writing.

I still want to know why Donnelly felt the need to have a meeting with Vettel in Sepang to explain his Melbourne penalty.  Why of all the penalties ever issued does this one need to be explained at the next race?  Has this ever happened before?  Something is very fishy about this.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:36:47 AM »
People are making the mistake of taking the FIA's comments as an indication that Hamilton was lying.
From what is in the public domain and a little I have heard from insiders, Hamilton has been penalised for not volunteering the information that he had delberately slowed to let Trulli pass.
My undestanding is that he was never asked directly. Therefore he did not lie. Both he and the Team suggest that they believed the FIA already knew that the team had told Hamilton to let Trulli past. The team then instructed Hamilton to 'say nothing' to the stewards.
However, I knew that the team had told him to let Trulli pass because Hamilton said so in an interview straight after the race. If I knew, how could the FIA not know??????
This has all come about because the FIA made a stupid decision to penalise Trulli and when they realised their crass mistake they needed someone to blame!
At the moment I am only just holding my interest in F1 because my man Jenson actually won. When the FIA take his points away because of a diffuser design that complied with scrutineering but upset a few team managers, I will switch off forever.

The apology by Lewis has overtaken your comments monty and how can they take the points away from BRAWN et all when kimi won Aussie GP in 2007 with a movable floor the FIA ruled illegal and ordered them to remove - WITHOUT any penalty whatsoever?

ooooops, I forgot KR was a special case as he drives for FERRARI

Lol, don't worry monty just be ready to object to their inconsistency if it happens by flooding all F1 sites with our protests

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle