collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 518
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Do you think it was fair to dq Hamilton

yes
9 (47.4%)
no
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Was Hamilton's dq fair  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Dare

Was Hamilton's dq fair
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:34:52 AM »
Do you think Lewis got a raw deal in being
disqualified in the Australian GP?

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Number 38

Re: Was Hamilton's dq fair
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
I'm the first vote. I voted disqualify only because there's no other choice.  Frankly I thought the Trulli penalty was way out of line, but now the Hamilton penalty also, is out of line. There have been 1000s of OPINIONS posted on many sites concerning this issue, who passed who and when but all that's out the window since Hamilton, MBE, got caught using two stories. Lying, fibbing, mis-stating .... all the above, has a price. I'm a softie, I HATE penalties, I would have merely reversed the results,  Trulli 3rd, Hamilton 4th and ended it.
There are polls on F1GPupdate that indicate 72% thought Trulli's penalty was unjust, and I figured Hamilton would get a similar response. NOT SO !  65% think lying a greater infraction than re-passing. There's a 'civil rights' leader in the USA that gave a great speach concerning the "Content of Character" ..... maybe we should send a copy of it to young Mr. Hamilton.  Food for thought.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:15:26 AM »
I haven't seen any real proof of lying yet, and I find it a bit difficult to believe Lewis and Macca are that stupid. The proper solution and one you would have seen in American racing of almost any kind was to simply tell the drivers what the correct order should be and finish it. Either JT 3rd and LH 4th or LH 3rd and JT 4th, race over.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »
The fact that Mclaren are accepting the penalty speaks loudly of guilt, however you are right Lonny.  There is no excuse for race control to simply put the two back in the proper order and then finish the race - after all, it was under safety car to the end.  Having an investigation in the first place was ridiculous for such an incident.  FIA does their best to muck things up, and then some idiot(s) at Mclaren mucked it up even more.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »

There are polls on F1GPupdate that indicate 72% thought Trulli's penalty was unjust, and I figured Hamilton would get a similar response. NOT SO !  65% think lying a greater infraction than re-passing. There's a 'civil rights' leader in the USA that gave a great speach concerning the "Content of Character" ..... maybe we should send a copy of it to young Mr. Hamilton.  Food for thought.

brilliant thought Number 38

those who live by the sword often find out it has a double edge
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »

Today's Top Story ON Yahoo 7 Australia:

Hamilton stripped, McLaren deny lying
AAP - April 2, 2009, 10:39 pm

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh denied Thursday that Lewis Hamilton lied about an incident at the Australian Grand Prix after the Briton was stripped of his third place result.

The world champion was fourth in the Melbourne race when Toyota's Jarno Trulli passed him under safety car conditions on lap 57 last Sunday.

The incident earned the Italian a 25-second penalty, which saw him relegated to 12th, with Hamilton promoted onto the podium behind the Brawn 1-2 team of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello.

But after a hastily arranged hearing in Malaysia on Thursday, the sport's governing body ruled that the Briton and his team deliberately provided misleading information on the circumstances leading to Trulli's penalty.

The decision not only handed Trulli back third place but disqualified Hamilton and McLaren from the race classification.

"The stewards, having considered new elements presented to them, consider that Lewis Hamilton and McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event," the FIA said.

It added that Hamilton provided "evidence deliberately misleading to the stewards".

The new elements the FIA considered were believed to be radio conversations between Hamilton and his McLaren team which were seen to contradict the original statements presented to the stewards.

Whitmarsh said the team would not appeal but insisted Hamilton did nothing wrong.

"Obviously we are disappointed by what happened," he said. "Lewis didn't do anything abnormal and it was clear Trulli shouldn't have passed him. But we have to accept the decision."

He said there was no question of Hamilton lying.

"There is no implication that Lewis lied to the stewards. I don't know what they meant, but I understand there was a belief the team was not explicit enough about the radio conversation," he said.

"What they believe is that the omission of the information about the radio communication between the team was withheld and that is misleading.

"As you can imagine Lewis is very disappointed. It's a harsh decision but experience had told us that you have to accept these decisions."

Trulli has maintained his innocence, claiming he had little choice but to overtake the Briton again after he slowed down.

"It was a controversial end of the race and it was hard for anyone to understand," the Italian told reporters.

"But I'm happy because honesty was rewarded. It is good for the credibility of the sport.

"I would like to thank the FIA because they had the strength to reconsider the case, giving new evidence and understanding what was going on.

"I never lied, I was always honest in my statements and I never changed it."

He declined to comment on Hamilton's actions or his exclusion.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »
The Hamilton penalty appears to me to be purely a communications issue, in that McLaren had an argument on the radio and the stewards didn't figure out that it was an argument. Because they have such differences of opinion, there'd be no point going to appeal because the FIA would simply dig its heels in, however inaccurate their view may be. Arguing on the radio should not be a crime.

Between this and Vettel, the best choice the teams can make is to resolve not to use them at all unless there's an absolute emergency.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:31:39 AM »

Arguing on the radio should not be a crime.

arguing on the radio" has nothing to do with this ruling but deliberately holding back this and relevant information from the first hearing in Melbourne is the crime for which McLAREN and lewis have rightly been penalised

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »
Once again, the FI's lack of credibility comes to the fore. If Hamilton did mislead the stewards, than the dq was justified. But given the FIA's track record with McLaren, it's hard to tell just what happened. A transcript of the meeting needs to be made publc.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »
Once again, the FI's lack of credibility comes to the fore. If Hamilton did mislead the stewards, than the dq was justified. But given the FIA's track record with McLaren, it's hard to tell just what happened. A transcript of the meeting needs to be made publc.

it just has been cossie - please see my last posting "FIA: McLaren instructed Hamilton to let Trulli pass"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:47:36 PM by SennaMan »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
Thanks, SennaMan. That's the transcript of McLaren's radio traffic. There's a real-time recording of it on the FIA website. It spans about 3 1/2 minutes. It made me wonder why it took so long to get an answer from Charlie Whiting.

What I was looking for was a transcript of the Hamilton's testimony at the steward's hearing. Now that he has admitted to misleading the stewards, I guess that's a moot point.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
This whole affair has been blown completely out of proportion by the FIA to satisfy their own petty squabble with Mc laren.

Don't forget that despite racing all last season with their hands tied (by the FIA) Mc Laren still make the FIA look proper jerks by winning the World Championship.

The FIA wants it's revenge........... childish as the whole thing may seem.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »
more teams than Mclaren have been punished
by the FIA.The mass damper ban on Renault
was one example,I don't recall anyone saying poor
Renault the FIA is out to get them.I think it made
most Mclaren and Renault fans elated that they
could blose the gap mo matter how they did it
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 02:36:12 AM »
This whole affair has been blown completely out of proportion by the FIA to satisfy their own petty squabble with Mc laren.

Don't forget that despite racing all last season with their hands tied (by the FIA) Mc Laren still make the FIA look proper jerks by winning the World Championship.

The FIA wants it's revenge........... childish as the whole thing may seem.

sorry JB as I have to disagree with your deductions even though past actions by the FIA seem overdone towards McLAREN.

This time is different as McLaren, through team manager Dave RYAN and Lewis HAMILTON, have been caught deliberately lying to keep a fellow competitor out of the points

once their previous false testimony/evidence was contradicted and laid bare by Lewis's immediate post race media interview AND the actual radio transcripts, the FIA had to act in the manner they deemed the most appropriate and I assume the regs do allow for the penalty imposed.....and probably a lot more.

The FIA did not blow up this simple 'passing under the safety car" etc incident, it was the devious actions of Dave Ryan and a complicit Lewis HAMILTON who turned it from a minor infraction of the racing rules to a case of highly questionable integrity, and no authority can let that go without some penalty.

If these two had testified to what actually happened it is fair to say Lewis and McLAREN would have been relegated to 4th behind TRULLI thereby getting valuable points and we all would have moved on much more easily and sooner.

It also took away the kudos of Lewis's and TRULLI's magnificent drives from the rear of the grid and from the pitlane.

I wish both will do well at Sepang and beyond 

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »
Actually, 1 point is all it was over.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle