collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: WOW! Hamilton Apologises for "Huge Mistake"  (Read 3063 times)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
WOW! Hamilton Apologises for "Huge Mistake"
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »
from F1.com - a cynic or sceptic may say it is 'damage control' to arrest what must be so damaging to McLAREN and lewis, but I like to believe the guy and in fact I am so proud of the guy for fronting up to this, I am going to email his official site to tell him just that

and I have to say I also like what I see is a new desire from the FIA to be more transparent in its decisions,

what do you think?

------------------------------------------------------

03 Apr 2009

Hamilton apologises for Melbourne 'mistake'

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton has publically apologised for the events that culminated in his disqualification from last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix. Speaking to the media in Malaysia on Friday, Hamilton said sorry to the Melbourne stewards and his fans for what he described as a ‘huge mistake’.

He finished the season-opener in fourth, but was handed third at a post-race hearing, after Toyota’s Jarno Trulli was penalized for passing his McLaren under the safety car. A second inquiry in Sepang, however, heard fresh evidence that showed that McLaren sporting director Dave Ryan and Hamilton had ‘deliberately misled’ the stewards by denying the British driver had been told to move aside to allow Trulli to pass.

"In Melbourne, I had a great race,” said the reigning world champion. “As soon as I got out of the car I had the television interviews at the back of the garage, and straight away I gave them a good account of what happened during the race. Straight after that we were requested by the stewards, and while waiting I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

"I sincerely apologise to the stewards for wasting their time. I’d like to say sorry to all my fans who have believed in me, and have supported me for years. I am not a liar or a dishonest person. I am a team player. Every time I have been informed to do something I have done it. This time I realise it was a huge mistake. I am learning from it. It has taken a huge toll on me.”

While Hamilton was excluded from the race results, Ryan has been suspended by McLaren and sent home to the United Kingdom. It is understood a decision on his future won’t be made until after this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:42:48 PM by SennaMan »

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

Re: WOW! Hamilton Apologises for "Huge Mistake"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »
I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

I hope Hamilton is talking to some other team, because he just threw his current team under the bus! I'm guessing that he's not the favored son at McLaren any more.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
I cannot understand his comments regarding being mislead, seriously he is talking his way out of the team now, surely?

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
misled?He was in the car when these events
happened.He was asked to explain the events
and he didn't.

I've a feeling most of these drivers we admire
we wouldn't want to hang with in the real world
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:47:30 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
Since Dave Ryan appears to be designated fall guy, I'm guessing that this is a co-ordinated team action, not just Hamilton shifting the blame.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
I cannot understand his comments regarding being misled, seriously he is talking his way out of the team now, surely?

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
Is Matt Bishop still with Mclaren?  If he is, he's doing a heck of a job (not) as communications director.  They seem to be tripping all over each other in the press.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:50 PM »
I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

I hope Hamilton is talking to some other team, because he just threw his current team under the bus! I'm guessing that he's not the favored son at McLaren any more.

Lewis will be acting again as a team player by this apology, surely there is no way he would release this apology without Macca's permission. It would be certain death to his McLaren career if not.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:43:52 PM »
The FIA has blown the whole thing way out of proportion, as usual.

I can understand casual viewers not bothering with F1, but frankly things are getting so bad now with disqualifications, fines, penalties that even I'm starting not to bother.

The sooner Max goes the better.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
Since Dave Ryan appears to be designated fall guy, I'm guessing that this is a co-ordinated team action, not just Hamilton shifting the blame.

has to be cossie - evidently the English press is roasting the McLAREN team over this.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »
Seems the British press are giving Hamilton a harder time than the team.  I think the team made a huge error in this case, and the result may end up being that Hamilton speaks his mind even more in the future instead of remaining a 'team player' just to restore/retain his credibility. 

Dave Ryan has been with the team 15years longer than Martin Whitmarsh, so I'm not so sure he will actually be demoted or released considering it appears that he did not make the decision on his own to mislead the stewards.  They will likely send him to the factory until the European season starts and then quietly bring him back into his role, although they may have someone different represent the team at any stewards inquiries in future.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »

has to be cossie - evidently the English press is roasting the McLAREN team over this.

The British press would !  They love to tear their own apart.

Had it been Ferrari in this situation and not Mc Laren, the Italian prime minister would be calling an urgent session of parliament to propose a vote of no confidence in Max and every single official at Australia.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »
Matt Bishop is still the McLaren press man but the guy seems to be invisible.  He should be out there protecting the team but I assume he must be writing a book or something because the only thing I know he has done since he got there was issue a press release about the data Renault had from McLaren which resulted in them issuing an apology because it was full of bull. 

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 03:16:23 AM »

Had it been Ferrari in this situation and not Mc Laren, the Italian prime minister would be calling an urgent session of parliament to propose a vote of no confidence in Max and every single official at Australia.

lol, good one JB, and it would have been passed immediately with not one dissenter.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
Matt Bishop is still the McLaren press man but the guy seems to be invisible.  He should be out there protecting the team but I assume he must be writing a book or something because the only thing I know he has done since he got there was issue a press release about the data Renault had from McLaren which resulted in them issuing an apology because it was full of bull. 

Even behind the scenes, PR or 'communications' are really coming apart at Mclaren.  He's definitely a failure.  I just hope he doesn't show up at F1 Racing again, because I think it's better without him.  It's pretty daunting that Whitmarsh said he was going to evaluate Ryan's along with his own place in the team.  I wonder if he's been ordered to fall on his sword too and Ron will be back in for China.  I'm sure it will be a long flight home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle