collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 338
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Malaysia farce  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Steven Roy

Malaysia farce
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »
The ending was entirely predictable.  Hold a race at a time of day when there is going to be a monsoon and too dark to re-start.

I guess the next two weeks is going to be full of arguments about who finished where.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Malaysia farce
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:44:04 PM »
Seems clear enough to me (unless they had a badly-timed power cut like Brazil 2003 or something).

The rules were rewritten in 2004 so that the results are taken from the last time the race leader crossed the finish line. So Lap 31 is indeed the correct point from which to take the results.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline johnbull

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
WHAT A c*ck UP.  Well done the FIA. You're doing great.

And these people have the cheek to penalise and sanction drivers for talking out of place.

The poor drivers are scared to answer simple questions at interviews these days, for fear that Max will bring out his whip ....... again ! Even Alonso just changed the subject when asked if it wass safe to restart in the dark conditions of 6.40pm in Malaysia. And Alonso doesn't usually find himself lost for words with the press !
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 03:14:20 PM »

I think the ringmaster, Bernie, has to take a lot of the credit for the farce, it will have been him insisting on the later start to maximise the TV audience. The FIA is also culpable though for closing their eyes to this very predictable outcome.

Remember when Bernie, at loggerheads as usual with the British GP organisers, moved it to early June with the inevitable inclement weather that almost made it a washout and caused chaos for race fans in the car parks. Bernie as always don't take kindly to the word NO.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »
well in a way disappointing but then again another difference to savour - only half points though, so after 2 rounds driver's points are:

01 Jenson Button 15
02 Rubens Barrichello 10
03 Jarno Trulli 8.5
04 Timo Glock 8
05 Nick Heidfeld 4
06 Fernando Alonso 4
07 Nico Rosberg 3.5
08 Sebastien Buemi 2
09 Mark Webber 1.5
10 Lewis Hamilton 1

I wonder if the .5 of a point may be crucial at the season's end.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:33:25 PM by SennaMan »
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Number 38

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »
From Sennaman: "I wonder if the .5 of a point may be crucial at the season's end."

If your name is Jarno Trulli I'll bet it does!

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »
I understand the rules.

I understand why the race was stopped.

I understand why the race didn't continue.

I understand why the finishing places were changed and the half points awarded accordingly.

NONE of my friends or family who have recently gained an interest in F1 will have the faintest clue as to why all these events took place. No doubt I will continue with my conversation from last week and to try and explain why they should continue to watch F1.

Apart from that, it was a brilliant race!

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
It does seem crazy to have a race at a time where there are virtually guaranteed thunderstorms, but I guess we should 'thank' Bernie for thinking of us Europeans, the same people he is continually taking races from  :confused:

Anyway, the race, or what we had of it, was brilliant and full of excitement.  Overtaking, errors, slides, good battles... More of the same but without the rain please!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
It does seem crazy to have a race at a time where there are virtually guaranteed thunderstorms, but I guess we should 'thank' Bernie for thinking of us Europeans, the same people he is continually taking races from  :confused:

Welcome to being an F1 fan in North America.  Without Canada or USA, there's just the Brazilian race on during the day.  The European races are at 8 AM, and the Asian races start when the bars close.

Anyway, the race, or what we had of it, was brilliant and full of excitement.  Overtaking, errors, slides, good battles... More of the same but without the rain please!

Absolutely, I'm happy to see that the new rules have FINALLY made for interesting racing!  Watching cars trade corners back and forth is what I loved about F1 in the 90s

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
Yup, when I saw the new rules and cars I thought, YUK, but it's good, some real racing back again.  :good:. And a double  :good:  :good: for JenSON, hehe, sorry Sennaman, could'nt resist it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

FW14B

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

Welcome to being an F1 fan in North America.  Without Canada or USA, there's just the Brazilian race on during the day.  The European races are at 8 AM, and the Asian races start when the bars close.

Absolutely, I'm happy to see that the new rules have FINALLY made for interesting racing!  Watching cars trade corners back and forth is what I loved about F1 in the 90s

Oh I cannot begin to imagine the toils of being a F1 fan in the Americas in general.  One race, plenty of drivers/potential and even a team from next year.  Bernie just seems to lose the plot big time and goes obviously where he gets bigger bucks for himself, forgetting the main market for F1 (Europe) and the biggest market for the teams involved (North America). 

It is a conflicting time for F1 fans, the authorities are clearly incredibly stupid, but the racing now is very exciting.  I look forward to races but dread the aftermath.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
"It is a conflicting time for F1 fans, the authorities are clearly incredibly stupid, but the racing now is very exciting.  I look forward to races but dread the aftermath." 

You said it all. :good: :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »
I look forward to races but dread the aftermath." 

And so do the drivers by the looks of things.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Online cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
Most people over here think F1 and IndyCar are the same thing. Versus, the new TV network for IndyCar, has even been advertising "F1 on Versus! The IndyCar Series!"

Now, we've still got the diffuser hearing in Paris hanging over everything. That could wash away the standings from the first two races. Try explaining that to new fans.

Add to that the fact that the USGP at Indy was called a failure because it only pulled in 150,000 fans in its SMALLEST year!

I can't wait to see what Bernie does when Abu Dhabi isn't ready.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
Knowing Bernie, probably be apologetic to Abu Dhabi and pay them to get the track done quicker.  He is that kind of person.  Screw the main markets and love everyone else!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle