collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 465
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Malaysia farce  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Malaysia farce
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
That or charge them for the "running" of the race anyway and give the place to somebody else - hopefully by shuffling the races round, making Brazil the finale again and giving Canada/the USA a summer slot.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
Don't even get started on IndyCar!

Tony George is Bernie and Max rolled into one, but without the charm, business acumen or love of sport.

One of the reasons I became an F1 Fan was because George destroyed open wheel in North America.  He's directly responsible for the rise of NASCAR, and the reason why Americans aren't interested in open wheel racing.

There was a time when the Indy500 was one of the biggest races in the world.  It takes a lot of effort to get the ratings to drop so far.

Bernie and Max are a step up for the North American open wheel fan!

I'd watch a thousand Malaysian GP farces before I watch another Indy500

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
In point of fact, NASCAR's rise started in the 1980's. CART was going the way of CanAm, where one or two teams dominate and fan interest evaporates. Tony tried to work with CART, but in the end HAD to start a new series. It was the only thing that saved open wheel racing here in the States. The proof is that, in spite of all odds, the IRL survived and CART, later Champ Car, is history.

Unlike CART, the FIA and FOM, Tony actually seems to know that, in the end, it all comes down to the fans. IMS excels at this. Most of the Brits, Germans, French, and, yes, even Canadians I've talked to at the USGP said it was far cheaper for them to come to the Indy than to go to their home race.

I know that a race day only, no seat, General Admission ticket to Montreal was more expensive than my 4 day package at the USGP, with excellent raceday seats and parking right outside the Main Gate. One year, they even threw in a free copy of the F1 Yearbook!

Tony George is probably the only chance the fans have against Bernie & Max. He's the only person with the wherewithal to pull the manufacturers together to bring about much needed change.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
In point of fact, NASCAR's rise started in the 1980's. CART was going the way of CanAm, where one or two teams dominate and fan interest evaporates. Tony tried to work with CART, but in the end HAD to start a new series. It was the only thing that saved open wheel racing here in the States. The proof is that, in spite of all odds, the IRL survived and CART, later Champ Car, is history.

Unlike CART, the FIA and FOM, Tony actually seems to know that, in the end, it all comes down to the fans. IMS excels at this. Most of the Brits, Germans, French, and, yes, even Canadians I've talked to at the USGP said it was far cheaper for them to come to the Indy than to go to their home race.

I know that a race day only, no seat, General Admission ticket to Montreal was more expensive than my 4 day package at the USGP, with excellent raceday seats and parking right outside the Main Gate. One year, they even threw in a free copy of the F1 Yearbook!

Tony George is probably the only chance the fans have against Bernie & Max. He's the only person with the wherewithal to pull the manufacturers together to bring about much needed change.

Show's what I know, lol.

But if the USGP was more affordable than any others, that would be the reason it 'failed' in the eyes of FOM.  F1 is supposed to be the single most glamourous sport in the world, not a good bargain.  Certainly one could argue that it's possible to do both, and given the way F1 venues are dropping, I'm sure one could argue it should be both.

However, if we assume that George was right and CART was wrong, it's still tough to call Indycar the winner.  It's not as strong as CART was before the split.   

Maybe there's a cautionary tale about cost cutting that FOM, FIA and FOTA need to learn.  I hope they do!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:32 AM »
I've seen lots of comments re the time of day the race started, but I fail to see how this is relevant. Does it statistically rain more in Malaysia at 5pm than at 1pm?  I would say the real issue is to schedule the race in spring. They should put it in the dry season.

I know people are getting frustrated at Max and Bernie doing idiotic things to F1 just to appease the sponsors, but you can't expect them to control the weather.

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
Yes it does.  Most tropical countries have late afternoon rainshowers after hot muggy days.  1pm would be hot, but much less likely to rain on the circus.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »
Yes it does.  Most tropical countries have late afternoon rainshowers after hot muggy days.  1pm would be hot, but much less likely to rain on the circus.

Yes but according to Bernie it wouldn't be good for telly.

I have to disagree. The casual viewer will not sit in front of telly to watch a GP on a Sunday morning at 10 or 11 am. but he might do any time in the afternoon, even if he probably ends up snoozing most of the time. And he certainly wouldn't stay there when all the cars come to a standstill like they did Sunday, without any indication when they were going to be racing again.

If they just left all the GPs at a 2pm local time start it would be better for everybody. I don't mind waking at 5am to watch a GP. In fact I prefer it that way because it then gives me all morning to go for a bike ride, or a motorrace, or whatever tickles your fancy.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »
100% agree with that JB, I love the early start ones because I'm the only one up and so I can watch them in peace.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
100% agree with that JB, I love the early start ones because I'm the only one up and so I can watch them in peace.  :good:

That's another good reason. :good:

Mind you, nobody interrupts whilst I'm watching a GP. They know what's good for them!!!
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle