collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 590
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Drivers in push to change start times  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Drivers in push to change start times
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 03:20:13 PM »
My concern, especially in the tropics, would be rain. Even a slight rain under the lights would reduce vision to the point of stopping a race.

Which is exactly what happened yesterday at Qatar.

But apart from all this, perhaps I'm too much of a purist, or an old fuddy duddy, but for me racing should take place in sunlight and not artificial light and should be held in daytime not nighttime.

Remember Formula 1 is supposed to be serious business. Or should that be past tense.

2 things to keep in mind:

1)  Bernie isn't trying to appeal to Fuddy Duddies.  We're going to watch the race whenever it's on.  It's the people who are going to just sit down and flip in the TV he's looking for.

2)  F1 is a business.  As long as the drivers and designers are being paid astronomical numbers to stay in F1, the money has to come from somewhere.  If that means gambling on start times, they're going to try it.  I do hope that saner heads prevail before the GPDA is proven right about the dangers, but the fact is the Malaysian disaster had great ratings.

At the end of WW2 all the engineers went to F1 racing. 

At the end of the space race, all the engineers went to wall street.

If we want to keep the brightest and best in F1, we need to make sure the money is there.  I don't agree with Bernie's decisions as a race fan; but as an F1 fan, the guy has made the sport a lot of money.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »
Bernie has made Bernie a lot of money. Ask the promoters in Montreal, Silverstone, Hockenheim, the Nurburgring, Magny-Cours, Indy, et al, how much they made. Ask Aguri Suzuki, Paul Stoddard, Eddie Jordan, Alain Prost or many other former owners how much they made. Ask any of the manufacturers' teams how much they're making.

The whole point of moving races to these venues is that the governments there are willing to shovel great piles of £ into Bernie's coffers.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »

At the end of WW2 all the engineers went to F1 racing. 

At the end of the space race, all the engineers went to wall street.

If we want to keep the brightest and best in F1, we need to make sure the money is there.  I don't agree with Bernie's decisions as a race fan; but as an F1 fan, the guy has made the sport a lot of money.

At the end of Bay Street (Toronto's Wall Street), all the engineers will go to the Queen Street Mission.

I'm with Cos on this one...I think Bernie is doing everything he can to take money OUT of F1, not leave it there.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline johnbull

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
I think Bernie is doing everything he can to take money OUT of F1, not leave it there.

Well done Scotty. That's the best sentence in the whole 2 page thread. :good:
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
Why not do what Speed does with qualifying.Advertise it live
then show it time delayed
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle